• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Signature question

4 posts in this topic

I have an Amazing Spider-man #1 which has a Stan Lee signature on it. The signature is dated 1977. The dealer I bought the book from claims it was authentic and everyone I've shown it too also says it appears to be real. What are your policies when submiting the book to you regarding the signature? Is there any way to authenticate it?

Thanks,

Martin

• Administrator

We do not authenticate any signatures that are not a part of one of our authorized signings, which are witnessed by one of our employees. CGC only certifies books as Signature Series if the signature was witnessed in the presence of a CGC representative and then immediately submitted to CGC for grading. We do not accept any other methods of proving the signature is authentic (photos, certificates, affidavits, videotapes etc.)

We do not authenticate any signatures that are not a part of one of our authorized signings, which are witnessed by one of our employees. CGC only certifies books as Signature Series if the signature was witnessed in the presence of a CGC representative and then immediately submitted to CGC for grading. We do not accept any other methods of proving the signature is authentic (photos, certificates, affidavits, videotapes etc.)

Being a newbie, I hope you will answer this.

For example, I have an Uncanny X-men 248 which was signed in 1992 by artist Jim Lee. See below. I had this comic book signed before CGC came into existence.

I then attend a comic convention in 2011 where artist Jim Lee is attending/signing and there is also CGC representative present.

Jim Lee inspects the signature on the comic book cover and states in no uncertain terms that it is indeed his.

You will not take the artist Jim Lee's testimony that it is indeed his signature? ???

Artist Jim Lee cannot authenticate his own signature in front of a CGC representative? ???

If that is the case, artist Jim Lee would then have to autograph the book AGAIN - this time in the presence of a CGC representative - in order to qualify it as a viable "signature series" book!?!?!

How would CGC grade an otherwise high grade comic book signed TWICE on the cover by the same artist? ???

In my example, how would the grade of the book be affected if artist Jim Lee signed my Uncanny X-Men 248 2X on the cover - the 2nd time witnessed by a CGC representative? ???

Thanks in advance if you decide to respond to this inquiry.

Z-UncannyX-Men248JimLee.jpg

• Administrator

No, we would not take Jim Lee's word that it was his signature, even if he had signed it earlier that day. We have to witness the signature, no exceptions. However if you have a comic that has an unwitnessed signature already and you have it signed again in front of a witness, it may be submitted for Signature Series for that second signature. The first signature will be accounted for in the grading and the second will be noted as a verified signature on the label.