How To Pack Your Books For Shipping - by Boozad
15 15

Question

Boozad   
  • Member: Seasoned Veteran
  • 21,990 posts

I know all of this will mainly be preaching to the converted, but we’ve all heard horror stories of books arriving damaged (I’ve had more than my fair share), so hopefully this may come in use at some point and no offence is intended to boardies who know how to pack their books!

Step 1:

Find a suitable oversized box that is substantially bigger than the books.

DSC01029.jpg

Step 2:

I’m packing ten books here, so what I do when sending more than one book is place all of the books into one larger bag. The reason for this will be explained in a moment. Turn half (or as close to half) of the books facing inwards so the backing boards are facing outwards on both sides of the stack.

DSC01031.jpg

Step 3:

Fold the bag around the stack of books snugly and tape it shut securely, this will prevent any of the books moving around in the sandwich you’re going to make.

The reason for using a bag is that there is no trying to rip tape of the comic bags (nightmare) when the recipient opens the package. The tape can be cut from the outer bag quite easily and the books are free straight away.

DSC01032.jpg

Step 4:

Next up, find two sturdy pieces of cardboard. They need to be bigger in dimension than the stack of books but smaller than the internal dimensions of the box.

DSC01033.jpg

Step 5:

Tape the bagged stack of books to one of the pieces of cardboard, with a piece of tape at each end and each side. Larger stacks may need more than one piece of tape on each side.

DSC01034.jpg

DSC01035.jpg

Step 6:

Take the second piece of cardboard and lay it onto the exposed side of the stack of books, making a sandwich so to speak. Now tape the sandwich together with a piece of tape on each side (larger stacks again – more tape again). Offset the pieces of tape so as they don't get stuck to the pieces of tape holding the books to the first piece of card. Getting several layers of tape stuck together when opening a package can get very annoying.

I also fold one end of each piece of tape over to form a tab (on every single piece of tape used in the package), and mark out where to open. This isn’t because I think the recipient has issues, it’s just helpful. I hate scratching a pieces of tape stuck to cardboard for half an hour.

DSC01037.jpg

DSC01038.jpg

Step 7:

Now you’re ready to put your book sandwich into your box. Make a protective layer across the bottom of the box. I’ve used packing peanuts, but bubble wrap or even newspaper will work. (For domestic packages I will place the oversized cardboard sandwich into a bubble mailer. Any corner or side impacts are absorbed by the cardboard, not the books).

DSC01039.jpg

Place the book sandwich on top of the protective layer, then fill up the remaining space with packing, making sure if that any gaps around the sides of the sandwich are filled.

DSC01040.jpg

Step 7:

Close up the box and make sure that every opening is covered in packing tape. I prefer to use ‘Fragile’ tape, the people who handle the package may not give a damn about your books, but hey – at least you’ve tried to warn them!

DSC01042.jpg

The same principle applies to slabbed books, cereal packets just don't cut it. :sumo:

Step 1:

Plenty of bubble wrap. Cardboard sandwiches are just as easily applied.

89390.jpg

Step 2:

Pack out the box with plenty of protective padding.

89388.jpg

Step 3:

Tape up the box securely, making sure all open sides are taped up.

89387.jpg

So there you have it, pretty simple really. This isn’t a bible and as I said at the start of the post – I don’t mean to cause offence to anybody, I know from experience how many boardies on here know how to pack books!

But for those new to shipping books, or those who just like to throw their books into a bubble mailer or a plain envelope, just remember, if you have sold another collector a lot of money’s worth of books, it’s worth 15 minutes of your time to make sure they arrive safely (thumbs u

517 answers to this question

Sqeggs   
  • 19,072 posts

A pet peeve:  Many sellers tape the bag holding the slab to the cardboard packing.  No good reason to do this, imo.  It's easy to put a layer of newspaper or bubble wrap around the slab and then tape it to the cardboard.

Removing the tape from the bag typically rips the bag or leaves a sticky residue on the bag.  Not the end of the world to replace the bag, of course, but just seems lazy on the part of sellers.  Even worse is not taking care to avoid putting tape across the top of an older slab.  Removing the tape can pull the label off.

DrWatson   
  • 42,380 posts

You should have double boxed.

Boozad   
  • 21,990 posts

My wife said that.

EvilAsh   
  • 10,093 posts
My wife said that.

lol

Designer Toast   
  • 13,805 posts
My wife said that.

Boozad!

:roflmao:

Great pics and tutorial on how to pack books. (thumbs u

scottish   
  • 2,947 posts

Definitely a good tutorial! (thumbs u

the blob   
  • 17,502 posts

fine for $50 of books, silly for a $5 book

if someboad wants to pay me for a half an hour of time and materials to pack it this way, then fine, but i don't wasnt to charge $10-$15 to ship a couple o fbooks within the states. i really hope people don't expect this for a smaller purchase. i haven't run into anyone who does after shipping out 1,000+ sales of comics and books in the las 10 or so years.

while i think what you've shown is lovely, i disagree with the big box idea. when i box i like my sandwhich to be pretty close to the edges of the inside of the box and then i have it wrapped in a bit of cushion. i bought a bundle or three of u-line boxes that fit perfectly like this, i don't want the sandwhich wiggling around in there. i don't understand the point of peanuts except for maybe a slab. or maybe if you're talking about a block of 30 books floating around in there.

MR.COMICBOOK   
  • 3,527 posts

Great stuff Boozad, it should be a sticky, question where can I find cheap cardboard as I am always running out?

Boozad   
  • 21,990 posts
fine for $50 of books, silly for a $5 book

if someboad wants to pay me for a half an hour of time and materials to pack it this way, then fine, but i don't wasnt to charge $10-$15 to ship a couple o fbooks within the states. i really hope people don't expect this for a smaller purchase. i haven't run into anyone who does after shipping out 1,000+ sales of comics and books in the las 10 or so years.

while i think what you've shown is lovely, i disagree with the big box idea. when i box i like my sandwhich to be pretty close to the edges of the inside of the box and then i have it wrapped in a bit of cushion. i bought a bundle or three of u-line boxes that fit perfectly like this, i don't want the sandwhich wiggling around in there. i don't understand the point of peanuts except for maybe a slab. or maybe if you're talking about a block of 30 books floating around in there.

Totally agree (thumbs u

This is only an international example. I did put in there for domestic shipping that after the sandwich making I just pop it in a bubble mailer.

That package was a $75 purchase so it needs to be packed well. I pack the chips nice and tight so the sandwich has nowhere to move, I should have put that in the original post. (thumbs u

Boozad   
  • 21,990 posts
Oh, yeah? If you're so good at packing, how come you sent me a slab with only a mailing label attached to it? :baiting:

(Seriously, great tutorial, Gav! (thumbs u )

lol Glad you got it in the end (thumbs u

Boozad   
  • 21,990 posts
Great stuff Boozad, it should be a sticky, question where can I find cheap cardboard as I am always running out?

Cheers dude.

I get most of my cardboard either from work where there is plenty of packing material, or re-use packing stuff I've received from purchases.

One other way is to go to the local mini-mart or whatever and ask then if they have any empty boxes. They're always willing to give them away to be used, it only gets recycled anyway.

comix4fun   
  • 39,578 posts

Step 7:

Close up the box and make sure that every opening is covered in packing tape. I prefer to use ‘Fragile’ tape, the people who handle the package may not give a damn about your books, but hey – at least you’ve tried to warn them!

DSC01297.jpg

Overall a very nice tutorial that several collectors, forum members and DEALERS :blush: should pay heed.

However, the rough translation from English to "American" of that "Fragile" tape and the "Handle with Care" label is "USE ME FOR FOOTBALL PRACTICE" and "URINATE ON ME FREELY AFTER USING ME AS A DOORSTOP".

Remind me to buy more books from you. You got the goods when it comes to packing.

Boozad   
  • 21,990 posts

Step 7:

DSC01297.jpg

Overall a very nice tutorial that several collectors, forum members and DEALERS :blush: should pay heed.

However, the rough translation from English to "American" of that "Fragile" tape and the "Handle with Care" label is "USE ME FOR FOOTBALL PRACTICE" and "URINATE ON ME FREELY AFTER USING ME AS A DOORSTOP".

Remind me to buy more books from you. You got the goods when it comes to packing.

Cheers dude.

Our postal service isn't that much better at looking after packages to be honest, but the tape and the labels are, admittedly, my sort of way of showing the buyer his purchase is appreciated, and I am trying to keep the package as safe as possible.

My daughter has some Peppa Pig stuff through every month that we subscribe to, and because the boxes are light with only a magazine in and small plastic toy in, they arrive battered to buggery. Sometimes the packages I send are very light, and I'm paranoid they'll get treated the same way without warning anyone who is handling them that they're actually worth money. (thumbs u

sckao   
  • 15,280 posts

You forgot the packing slip. :baiting:

Boozad   
  • 21,990 posts

I forgot to take it to the PO as well.

sckao   
  • 15,280 posts

Well, my point is how is anyone supposed to know what's in the package? They'll have to take apart your entire cardboard sandwich to find out. (Assuming they don't recognize the sender's name.)

What about customs? (Since it's an international package.)

This is why I use magazine or treasury size bags. At least, they're see-thru. :grin:

Boozad   
  • 21,990 posts

Well, my point is how is anyone supposed to know what's in the package? They'll have to take apart your entire cardboard sandwich to find out. (Assuming they don't recognize the sender's name.)

What about customs? (Since it's an international package.)

This is why I use magazine or treasury size bags. At least, they're see-thru. :grin:

The customs label is on there (last photo). I'm just presuming that the only person opening the sandwich will be spideyinacase. I've never had an international packge arrive to the buyer inspected by customs.

goldenacase   
  • 2,871 posts
Mods: If you think this post is useful and want to move it that's cool, I didn't know where else to put it. If you think it's *spoon* then just go ahead and scrap it!

I hope some boardies don’t take this the wrong way, but I’ve seen it mentioned on here before about a tutorial for packing books for shipping, so I’ve taken it upon myself to put one together. The wife and kids are away for the weekend so I have a bit of peace and quiet and enough undisturbed time to do it!

I know all of this will mainly be preaching to the converted, but we’ve all heard horror stories of books arriving damaged (I’ve had more than my fair share), so hopefully this may come in use at some point and no offence is intended to boardies who know how to pack their books!

The case in point here is spideyinacase’s package he bought from me via the boards, so without further ado here we go.

Step 1:

Find a suitable oversized box that is substantially bigger than the books. This is an overseas package so a box is a must in most cases. For domestic packages I may use a bubble mailer but we’ll get to that shortly.

DSC01283.jpg

Step 2:

I’m packing five books here, so what I do when sending more than one book is place all of the books into one larger bag. The reason for this will be explained in a moment. Turn half (or as close to half) of the books facing inwards so the backing boards are facing outwards on both sides of the stack.

DSC01284.jpg

DSC01285.jpg

Step 3:

Fold the bag around the stack of books snugly and tape it shut securely, this will prevent any of the books moving around in the sandwich you’re going to make.

The reason for using a bag is that there is no trying to rip tape of the comic bags (nightmare) when the recipient opens the package. The tape can be cut from the outer bag quite easily and the books are free straight away.

DSC01286.jpg

Step 4:

Next up, find two sturdy pieces of cardboard. They need to be bigger in dimension than the stack of books but smaller than the internal dimensions of the box.

DSC01287.jpg

Step 5:

Tape the bagged stack of books to one of the pieces of cardboard, with a piece of tape at each end and each side. Larger stacks may need more than one piece of tape on each side.

I always offset the tape from the centreline of each side, you may be able to see in the photos. The reason for this will become evident in a minute.

DSC01288.jpg

Step 6:

Take the second piece of cardboard and lay it onto the exposed side of the stack of books, making a sandwich so to speak. Now tape the sandwich together with a piece of tape on each side (larger stacks again – more tape again). Now place the tape in the centreline of the book sandwich, this way the tape doesn’t get stuck to the first pieces of tape you placed onto the books on the first piece of board. Getting several layers of tape stuck together when opening a package can get very messy!

I also fold one end of each piece of tape over to form a tab (on every single piece of tape used in the package), and mark out where to open. This isn’t because I think the recipient has issues, it’s just helpful. I hate scratching a pieces of tape stuck to cardboard for half an hour.

DSC01289.jpg

DSC01290.jpg

Step 7:

Now you’re ready to put your book sandwich into your box. Make a protective layer across the bottom of the box. I’ve used packing peanuts, but bubble wrap or even newspaper will work. (For domestic packages I will place the oversized cardboard sandwich into a bubble mailer. Any corner or side impacts are absorbed by the cardboard, not the books).

DSC01291.jpg

Place the book sandwich on top of the protective layer.

DSC01292.jpg

Fill up the remaining space with packing, making sure if that any gaps around the sides of the sandwich are filled.

DSC01293.jpg

Step 7:

DSC01297.jpg

So there you have it, pretty simple really. This isn’t a bible and as I said at the start of the post – I don’t mean to cause offence to anybody, I know from experience how many boardies on here know how to pack books!

But for those new to shipping books, or those who just like to throw their books into a bubble mailer or a plain envelope, just remember, if you have sold another collector a lot of money’s worth of books, it’s worth 15 minutes of your time to make sure they arrive safely (thumbs u

(worship)