• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How To Pack Your Books For Shipping - by Boozad
12 12

585 posts in this topic

On 8/24/2018 at 9:18 AM, rein2222 said:

Die Die Die 1 Retailer Thank You Special Variant Gold Foil (VO)

IMG_20180824_085741.thumb.jpg.14f3a55bcc425aec9a271fd90aaa3d07.jpg

I was going to CGC this DIE DIE DIE gold foil #1 but, the ebay seller decided NOT to secure the book to the cardboard via painters tape so it bounced around a bit...we'll see if he makes good on it i've asked for a swap, so far no response.

Ouch, always hate to see this. Good Luck !

algorithm: locate+ double check item+ board/wrap+ extra layer of protection+ box it up = safe travel

always use waterproof protection inside and a decent box for the outside, preferred custom fix box but that's not always available, never just polybag them that be the worst idea

always insure 

much<3

On 8/14/2009 at 10:19 AM, Boozad said:

I know all of this will mainly be preaching to the converted, but we’ve all heard horror stories of books arriving damaged (I’ve had more than my fair share), so hopefully this may come in use at some point and no offence is intended to boardies who know how to pack their books!

Step 1:

Find a suitable oversized box that is substantially bigger than the books.

DSC01029.jpg

Step 2:

I’m packing ten books here, so what I do when sending more than one book is place all of the books into one larger bag. The reason for this will be explained in a moment. Turn half (or as close to half) of the books facing inwards so the backing boards are facing outwards on both sides of the stack.

DSC01031.jpg

Step 3:

Fold the bag around the stack of books snugly and tape it shut securely, this will prevent any of the books moving around in the sandwich you’re going to make.

The reason for using a bag is that there is no trying to rip tape of the comic bags (nightmare) when the recipient opens the package. The tape can be cut from the outer bag quite easily and the books are free straight away.

DSC01032.jpg

Step 4:

Next up, find two sturdy pieces of cardboard. They need to be bigger in dimension than the stack of books but smaller than the internal dimensions of the box.

DSC01033.jpg

Step 5:

Tape the bagged stack of books to one of the pieces of cardboard, with a piece of tape at each end and each side. Larger stacks may need more than one piece of tape on each side.

DSC01034.jpg

DSC01035.jpg

Step 6:

Take the second piece of cardboard and lay it onto the exposed side of the stack of books, making a sandwich so to speak. Now tape the sandwich together with a piece of tape on each side (larger stacks again – more tape again). Offset the pieces of tape so as they don't get stuck to the pieces of tape holding the books to the first piece of card. Getting several layers of tape stuck together when opening a package can get very annoying.

I also fold one end of each piece of tape over to form a tab (on every single piece of tape used in the package), and mark out where to open. This isn’t because I think the recipient has issues, it’s just helpful. I hate scratching a pieces of tape stuck to cardboard for half an hour.

DSC01037.jpg

DSC01038.jpg

Step 7:

Now you’re ready to put your book sandwich into your box. Make a protective layer across the bottom of the box. I’ve used packing peanuts, but bubble wrap or even newspaper will work. (For domestic packages I will place the oversized cardboard sandwich into a bubble mailer. Any corner or side impacts are absorbed by the cardboard, not the books).

DSC01039.jpg

Place the book sandwich on top of the protective layer, then fill up the remaining space with packing, making sure if that any gaps around the sides of the sandwich are filled.

DSC01040.jpg

Step 7:

Close up the box and make sure that every opening is covered in packing tape. I prefer to use ‘Fragile’ tape, the people who handle the package may not give a damn about your books, but hey – at least you’ve tried to warn them!

DSC01042.jpg

The same principle applies to slabbed books, cereal packets just don't cut it. :sumo:

Step 1:

Plenty of bubble wrap. Cardboard sandwiches are just as easily applied.

89390.jpg

Step 2:

Pack out the box with plenty of protective padding.

89388.jpg

Step 3:

Tape up the box securely, making sure all open sides are taped up.

89387.jpg

So there you have it, pretty simple really. This isn’t a bible and as I said at the start of the post – I don’t mean to cause offence to anybody, I know from experience how many boardies on here know how to pack books!

But for those new to shipping books, or those who just like to throw their books into a bubble mailer or a plain envelope, just remember, if you have sold another collector a lot of money’s worth of books, it’s worth 15 minutes of your time to make sure they arrive safely (thumbs u

Totally amazing

Thanks👍😁

On 8/18/2009 at 6:26 PM, dopy02 said:

-close but no cookie

-instead of using a bag

-use newspaper to wrap the bagged/boarded books like you are wrapping a boxed present before taping it to the cardboard sandwich

-easier to open because the newspaper peels away without having to wrestle tape

That way when the newspaper rips during shipping it can finish the journey bouncing around. The plastic bag is not only stronger but waterproof. 

Yeah my PB account got nerfed sorry. I'll see if I still have the original photos on my PC and host them somewhere else.

Shipping method for comic books that I have sold.... I use painter's tape to mount comic onto cardboard and then tape to Gemini box to make sure there is no shifting at all.

Buyers really appreciate the extra care.....

Gemini box.JPG

What is the best way to pack an already graded CGC book to send in for signature series? I plan on putting my window bag and board in the box with my slab for when they crack it but whats the best way to pack it as far as being CGC friendly so I have a smooth process once they receive it.

14 minutes ago, Mike Rivera said:

What is the best way to pack an already graded CGC book to send in for signature series? I plan on putting my window bag and board in the box with my slab for when they crack it but whats the best way to pack it as far as being CGC friendly so I have a smooth process once they receive it.

Have you received slabs from CGC? They ship out single slabs in a sturdy box that is about 10x15x3.5 and wrap the slab in "large bubble" bubble wrap. Just make sure the box is a good size and maybe double box just to be safe. CGC receives books with all sorts of weird packing. Just keep it simple and protect from corner smashes...  Only if it's not too snug in the bag, I would double up on the backer board... depending on who's signing, potential of damage to book... my last (and I mean last) signing ended with a book getting a bent corner that resulted in getting a 9.6. (Cough...FM)

I'm brand new to CGC. I just sent in my first round of Bronze Age comics and didn't notice the note on the packing slip it said "pack the comics in order as they are entered on the packing slip". I ended up sending them in reverse order by mistake. Is this going to be a major problem?

Frank

Fantastic tutorial and I hope some of the sellers that have shipped me stuff see this and learn from it. I would just like to add a couple of things:

1. Use corrugated cardboard. Don't just cut up some random box and call it good enough. 

2. Use strapping tape.

3. double box.

Is this over doing it? You bet your sweet behind it is! Over doing it is my goal, anything less increases the chances of damage. Sometimes even "over doing it" still results in problems. At least you can say that you did everything you can to avoid damage.