• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How To Pack Your Books For Shipping - by Boozad
12 12

586 posts in this topic

I ordered a box of 100 Gemini mailers after cutting cardboard all weekend in the Florida sun. :P

I don't want to go though that on a regular basis.

I know right! I'm on the oregon coast so for me outside activities involve the pouring rain most of the time lol. Today i can hardly see more than a block because of how thick the fog is.

Guys, the OP here was tremendous in making sure I knew how to package my books properly when I was sending off groups of them to the CGC for grading or for shipping expensive, individual slabbed books to buyers here on the forum. Now however I'm going to start selling some raw books – often in singles – that are only worth $40-$130 each. What is the cheapest and safest method for packaging and shipping a $45 raw book domestically in the US? I want to protect it but I don't want to spend $13 for priority mail on a book that's only worth $30-$50.

I am reading this thread but it has 49 pages so I'm hoping for some good advice before I have to read the entire thread :-)

Thanks guys,

Tom

UPDATE: so I read all 49 pages of the thread. Today :-) This was extremely informative. I had already read the OP for a refresher on packing up books when I started selling from my private collection for the first time in many years a few months ago. Back then I was selling very valuable books but now I'm getting ready to sell books in the $40-$130 range – mostly raw. I'm going to be selling them in boxes, not in envelopes. I'm just confused about a couple of things: It seems like from what lizard is saying that using a non-USPS box, packing securely and sending it first-class mail is a cheap, secure way to send books in this price range. Is that right? Additionally, do you HAVE to send something USPS Priority Mail if you use one of their free Priority Mail boxes? I assume so but I wanted to make sure. It seems like using Box 1095 but sending first-class would be great. I don't know if the post office allows this.

Finally, what's the deal with media mail? I looked it up on the USPS website and I still don't know whether or not comic books are eligible for media mail shipping. As long as no edge is over 12 inches and the weight is under 70 pounds it looks like comic books should be eligible for media mail shipping. I found some 12 x 9 x 4 corrugated boxes that I think would be acceptable for raw books that were very well packed. If I can use media mail for them that seems great. The Priority Mail Regional Rate Box also has dimensions that qualify for media mail. But again, I don't know if you can pack something in a priority box (non-flat rate) but then send it via different method, such as media mail.

I would really appreciate the answers to some of these questions.

Thanks guys,

Tom

Edited by SuperTom

Finally, what's the deal with media mail? I looked it up on the USPS website and I still don't know whether or not comic books are eligible for media mail shipping. As long as no edge is over 12 inches and the weight is under 70 pounds it looks like comic books should be eligible for media mail shipping. I found some 12 x 9 x 4 corrugated boxes that I think would be acceptable for raw books that were very well packed. If I can use media mail for them that seems great. The Priority Mail Regional Rate Box also has dimensions that qualify for media mail. But again, I don't know if you can pack something in a priority box (non-flat rate) but then send it via different method, such as media mail.

there are a few reasons Comics shouldn't be shipped Media mail. The biggest is that they don't qualify for media mail because they contain ads. the only advertisements media allows is for promotional items concerning the item in question. Media mail is also subject to searches. if they open up the package and see something that is not allowed (such as a comic) you will be facing a hefty fine. and the searching process could potentially damage the comic. and lastly media mail is Extremely slow despite the face it says 2 to 8 days for most items. i've had cases where media has taken almost 3 weeks to get to a customer.

if you are shipping anything over 16oz. (including packaging materials) Flat rate is the way to go.

Anything under 16oz. and first class is your best bet.

What is the cheapest and safest method for packaging and shipping a $45 raw book domestically in the US? I want to protect it but I don't want to spend $13 for priority mail on a book that's only worth $30-$50.

One thing to remember is that you can send priority outside of a medium flat rate box. Rates are about $6.50 if you keep the box under 1 lb, and less than $13 if you keep the weight under 2 lbs. However, once you stick any amount of weight in a medium flat rate box, you're stuck with paying that $13 rate. 1097s are great general purpose free boxes from USPS, and they are lighter than 1092s or 1095s.

Additionally, if you keep the weight under 1 lb, you can ship first class for a smaller amount than priority - $3-$4.50. I've never noticed any difference in delivery time between priority and first class. However, you cannot use boxes with any priority markings if you are shipping first class.

if you are shipping anything over 16oz. (including packaging materials) Flat rate is the way to go.

This statement is wrong - if your package is over 32 oz or 2 lbs, then flat rate is the most economical outside your postal zone, otherwise, you are just wasting extra postage by using flat rate.

If you are shipping inside your postal zone, larger amounts of weight can be shipped priority at a more economical cost than flat rate.

Guys, the OP here was tremendous in making sure I knew how to package my books properly when I was sending off groups of them to the CGC for grading or for shipping expensive, individual slabbed books to buyers here on the forum. Now however I'm going to start selling some raw books – often in singles – that are only worth $40-$130 each. What is the cheapest and safest method for packaging and shipping a $45 raw book domestically in the US? I want to protect it but I don't want to spend $13 for priority mail on a book that's only worth $30-$50.

I am reading this thread but it has 49 pages so I'm hoping for some good advice before I have to read the entire thread :-)

Thanks guys,

Tom

UPDATE: so I read all 49 pages of the thread. Today :-) This was extremely informative. I had already read the OP for a refresher on packing up books when I started selling from my private collection for the first time in many years a few months ago. Back then I was selling very valuable books but now I'm getting ready to sell books in the $40-$130 range – mostly raw. I'm going to be selling them in boxes, not in envelopes. I'm just confused about a couple of things: It seems like from what lizard is saying that using a non-USPS box, packing securely and sending it first-class mail is a cheap, secure way to send books in this price range. Is that right? Additionally, do you HAVE to send something USPS Priority Mail if you use one of their free Priority Mail boxes? I assume so but I wanted to make sure. It seems like using Box 1095 but sending first-class would be great. I don't know if the post office allows this.

I would really appreciate the answers to some of these questions.

Thanks guys,

Tom

16 ounces or less is 1st class. You can get anywhere from 2 to around 6 sheets of cardboard in a mailer shipped 1st class. You can opt for a 10.5x15 bubble mailer or a 10.5x15 mylar like sheet or larger and add more cardboard in. The trick with 1st class is to insure your book as at least 1 inch clearance all around the book and its secured to the cardboard. With one book painters tape works well I think.

You can get priority boxes and flat rate mailers both online or at postal shops free. Legal flat rates are nice to use because they are a little bit wider which allow for more cardboard.

Flat rate envelope packages comfortably you can get in around 8 books well packed in a mailer. You can get up to 14(Ive done this overseas once) in the package, but keep in mind more comics less packing can fit in. I would advise the buyer as well. Also packing larger groups of comics in another bag is a good idea. You can use packing tape to tape down the bag to secure the book from moving.

I would not recommend flat rate boxes if you can avoid it. Use your own box and just eat the extra cost. Those flat rates boxes aren't the best to use for comics unless you have no other option.

The key here is to use cardboard correctly when packing comics. You provide a buffer zone for you comics inside incase they get corner dinged. An inch all around is a good buffer and more if you can get it. I use a 10.5 x 15 inch mailers for 1 book 1st class and flat rates cover about 95% of my comics I ship.

For boardie sales I ship in boxes that I build comic book bricks which are cardboard sheets on the top and bottom of comics then tape them together with packing tape. I don't pack for easy opening I pack for safety during shipping so insulate all around the books with grocery bags, shredded paper, or whatever else you want to add as an insulator.

Also pay attention to packing the box with tape. Double tape the bottom and top so you have tape running both ways for protection. Use clear tape over addresses so rain wont ruin the ink. You can reinforce the bottom and tops of your boxes with cardboard sheets as well if you feel the book doesn't look completely secure as you putting in books.

I would not recommend flat rate boxes if you can avoid it. Use your own box and just eat the extra cost. Those flat rates boxes aren't the best to use for comics unless you have no other option.

Just box as normal in a priority or regular box, and then put it inside a medium flat-rate box, and insulate. It's cheaper for shipping and you can double or triple box that way for added protection.

I've read MOST of the 49 pages and maybe I missed this -- but would love to know:
What is the best way to ship 1-2 inexpensive books FIRST CLASS USPS? 

Of course, the package has to arrive safely and be under 13 oz. which hopefully should be possible. 

I have about 700 books and can purchase supplies in bulk as I try to sell them over the next few months. 

Thanks!

1 hour ago, comicdude72 said:

I've read MOST of the 49 pages and maybe I missed this -- but would love to know:
What is the best way to ship 1-2 inexpensive books FIRST CLASS USPS? 

Of course, the package has to arrive safely and be under 13 oz. which hopefully should be possible. 

I have about 700 books and can purchase supplies in bulk as I try to sell them over the next few months. 

Thanks!

I ship first class in a small box, or those flat box mailers.  Others use heavy cardboard in a plastic or other mailer/envelope.  If you use Paypal shipping to purchase and print postage, you can ship up to 16 ounces First Class.  If you use Paypal shipping, you also get discounted shipping.  I bought a postage scale long ago, and the thing has saved me tons of time and money.  Also, I have the P.O. pick up my packages at the house.

1 minute ago, lizards2 said:

I ship first class in a small box, or those flat box mailers.  Others use heavy cardboard in a plastic or other mailer/envelope.  If you use Paypal shipping to purchase and print postage, you can ship up to 16 ounces First Class.  If you use Paypal shipping, you also get discounted shipping.  I bought a postage scale long ago, and the thing has saved me tons of time and money.  Also, I have the P.O. pick up my packages at the house.

So you'd bypass Ebay shipping and ship direct from Paypal site -- or are they the same?  If I ship the 1-2 comics between two larger pieces of cardboard what exact box would you recommend?  U-Line has alot of them and I don't mind buying in bulk. 

2 minutes ago, comicdude72 said:
7 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

So you'd bypass Ebay shipping and ship direct from Paypal site -- or are they the same?  If I ship the 1-2 comics between two larger pieces of cardboard what exact box would you recommend?  U-Line has alot of them and I don't mind buying in bulk. 

I don't sell on ebay, so know nothing about that.  I get all my boxes out of recycling at work, or use the boxes that people ship me comics in.  The important thing is for the box to be large/strong enough, so that if the box takes a corner blow, the books inside will still likely be OK.

I can't imagine spending money buying shipping supplies...., with the exception of tape.  If I start selling more than buying after I retire, I will probably dumpster dive for boxes down at the cardboard recycling.

9 minutes ago, comicdude72 said:

Last question -- where do you sell if not on Ebay?  I've got a ton of books maybe in the 10-40 dollar range. 

Here in the selling forums - GA/SA/BA and Mixed. 

I've been on slight hiatus due to wrestling season and a small house fire a couple months ago.  Plus taxes and trying to get my office in shape at work so I can retire at the end of the month. :eek:

I've been working on a sales thread for all that time, but haven't quite got it launched yet.  I've added a couple short boxes of books to my standing inventory sales thread.

50 minutes ago, comicdude72 said:

PayPal.com/shipnow

Also, if shipping online, you can get first class for packages up to 15 oz's. Leaves you a little more leeway than if you take them to the PO.

I did purchase 21 books from a seller here via PM and thought it was a good deal. I was in for a big shock when I did receive the books... The 21 books were all in a single manila envelop with almost zero protection.

Packing material: three plastic bags (seven books per bag) and four backing boards (two for each side of the envelop) and of course the manila envelop. And that was it!!

No need to say, all the books were damaged during transportation....

I will wait for his answer but seriously, I never thought somebody could still pack this way in 2017...

10 hours ago, pickycollector said:

I did purchase 21 books from a seller here via PM and thought it was a good deal. I was in for a big shock when I did receive the books... The 21 books were all in a single manila envelop with almost zero protection.

Packing material: three plastic bags (seven books per bag) and four backing boards (two for each side of the envelop) and of course the manila envelop. And that was it!!

No need to say, all the books were damaged during transportation....

I will wait for his answer but seriously, I never thought somebody could still pack this way in 2017...

Sadly, there are still lots of people here who do stuff like that or similar.  You'd think they never were on the receiving end of such stuff - maybe they live in big cities and never bought stuff through the mail..., only at shops and conventions. (shrug)

I've gotten a few packages in the last couple months where I was amazed that there was no apparent shipping damage.  I've been living in the sticks for the past 27 years, so am quite a connoisseur of fine packaging.

Got a package from ebay yesterday, comic in a bag and board, stuck into a yellow padded envelope with no other protection. It's been a couple of years since that happened, didn't realize anyone was still rolling that way. Shouldn't have been surprised. Book was trashed. Seller gave a refund without any issue, seems like they are new. I tried to give them some tips about shipping comics, not that I think they'll listen, but you never know!