• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How To Pack Your Books For Shipping - by Boozad
12 12

586 posts in this topic

[

Step 5:

Tape the bagged stack of books to one of the pieces of cardboard, with a piece of tape at each end and each side. Larger stacks may need more than one piece of tape on each side.

I always offset the tape from the centreline of each side, you may be able to see in the photos. The reason for this will become evident in a minute.

DSC01288.jpg

-close but no cookie

-instead of using a bag

-use newspaper to wrap the bagged/boarded books like you are wrapping a boxed present before taping it to the cardboard sandwich

-easier to open because the newspaper peels away without having to wrestle tape

[

Step 5:

Tape the bagged stack of books to one of the pieces of cardboard, with a piece of tape at each end and each side. Larger stacks may need more than one piece of tape on each side.

I always offset the tape from the centreline of each side, you may be able to see in the photos. The reason for this will become evident in a minute.

DSC01288.jpg

-close but no cookie

-instead of using a bag

-use newspaper to wrap the bagged/boarded books like you are wrapping a boxed present before taping it to the cardboard sandwich

-easier to open because the newspaper peels away without having to wrestle tape

I like the guys that use 3" tape right to the mylar - creates and impenetrable bond :eek:

Nice thread. I like the newspaper idea.
Buck Bigging uses printer paper, which is very easy to remove. Worldwide comics uses a newspaper type paper, which confused me at first. But both are very effective.

I use the old CGC bags.

Drop the books in. Seal the bag, and the use regular tape to fold over the excess snug. After that use tape to hold it in between the cardboard sandwhich.

My reasoning for this is mostly moisture concerns. I dont trust the post office.

I'll start using my old CGC bags when I eventually get round to buying some resealable CGC bags from Hotflips.

Is that how you posted my Chew #2 :baiting:

Great tutorial Gav :golfclap:

Now do one for slabs :insane:

I found that using newspaper instead of a plastic bag is better for wrapping the books - it's much easier to remove the tape that has them held to the thick cardboard backer and you can just rip it off instead of the tape clinging to the plastic and maybe bending the book.

Just my 2c

I found that using newspaper instead of a plastic bag is better for wrapping the books - it's much easier to remove the tape that has them held to the thick cardboard backer and you can just rip it off instead of the tape clinging to the plastic and maybe bending the book.

Just my 2c

I have used both and the newspaper keeps the books bricked better too. You can always wrap it in plastic afterward for some type of water proofing.

It depends on the box, and if I have the double-thick cardboard (easy to find behind the "big box" stores as well as furniture stores,) but I try to get the cardboard piece so that the corner is about 1 inch farther away than the corner of the bag&board. That's about the minimum amount of space I feel comfortable with for crush-proofing. With the double-thick cardboard, you can go 3/4" easy, but I wouldn't go so far as 1/2"

-slym

Just my 2c

I have used both and the newspaper keeps the books bricked better too. You can always wrap it in plastic afterward for some type of water proofing.

I do both - bag first for waterproofing and keeping the lot of comics together, newspaper second, so that the strapping tape is easy to remove without damaging the books.

No matter how many posts we have on this topic, I continue to get books from Board members that are packed haphazardly. There is no accounting for lame-brained-ness. :grin:

(thumbs u I dont get it either. Theres more than enough info here to get it right.

DRX

I've tried an experiment with a sale I had on eBay from a buyer from the States. He bought two books - low cost - so I packaged them in a bubble mailer in a quadruple cardboard sandwich.

It was impossible to bend by hand and cut his shipping costs dramatically. I am fully prepared to refund fully if the books arrived damaged but I don't think they will. I've had plenty of raw books delivered from the States in Priority envelopes that have arrived in top condition.

I'll post the results.

Just checked I have one more left, I'll send that out. I have something to go your way anywway...

Cheers Gav - my Chew must have been eaten in the post :insane:

:(

I have one on eBay at the moment at £7.50 with nearly 5 days to go. That postie owes us :censored: