• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM

70 posts in this topic

th_asm317b.jpg th_asm317c.jpg th_asm317d.jpg th_asm318.jpg th_asm319a.jpg th_asm319b.jpg

317b VFNM $10, white pages.

317c VFNM $10, white pages.

317d VFNM $10, white pages.

318 VFNM $3, white pages.

319a NM- $5, white pages.

319b NM/NM- $6, white pages.

th_asm320a.jpg th_asm320b.jpg th_asm321a.jpg th_asm321b.jpg

320a VFNM $3, white pages.

320b VFNM $3, white pages.

321a NM $8, white pages.:news:[font:Comic Sans MS] Sold!!![/font] :news:

321b NM- $6, white pages.

th_asm322a.jpg th_asm322b.jpg th_asm322c.jpg th_asm323a.jpg th_asm323b.jpg

322a NM/NM- $7, white pages.

322b NM- $6, white pages.

322c VFNM $3, white pages.

323a NM- $6, white pages.

323b VFNM/NM- $4, white pages.

th_asm328a.jpg th_asm328e.jpg th_asm328f.jpg th_asm400.jpg th_asms2.jpg th_asms3.jpg

328a VF+ $2, white pages.

328e VF+ $2, white pages, raker marks at lower edge front and back.

328f VF+ $2, white pages, raker marks at lower edge front and back.

400 NM $5, white pages.

Spider-Man 2 NM $2, white pages.

Spider-Man 3 NM/NM- $2, white pages.

th_asmaira.jpg th_asmairabc.jpg th_asmairb.jpg th_asmairbbc.jpg

Adventures in Reading with ASM copy a NM- $5, white pages.

Adventures in Reading with ASM copy b NM- $5, white pages.

th_asmairc.jpg th_asmaircbc.jpg th_asmaird.jpg th_asmairdbc.jpg

Adventures in Reading with ASM copy c NM- $5, white pages.

Adventures in Reading with ASM copy d NM- $5, white pages.

King-Size Special 4 VF $80, off white pages.

Wow - I just got this PM:

Hey:

My XXX is looking for this book. Am I missing something here? You have the book listed as VF. The BC alone well excludes it from this grade. IMHO No offense meant all. It is your book. You can do with it what you wish to. But I honestly doubt anyone on these boards would call this book a VF. What price are you trying to get for this copy? I know my XXX wont pay a VF price for this book.

Take Care

My response:

I don't see any kind of consistent grading on the glue rumpling of these old annuals, but I'm willing to listen - no one is perfect in the grading arts. There have been plenty of folks on the boards that have squeezed higher CGC grades out of my books than what I've assigned - I don't necessarily grade to CGC standards, if that's the implication. But I do try to hold true to my 37 years of experience in the hobby. Make an offer if it's attractive to you.

It's not like I'm trying to hide anything here folks. :shrug:

I think if the back cover was cleaned up, you actually under-graded it a spot or three. Those wrinkles don't hurt the grade much at all. That's easy VF.

Tell XXX he's full of XXXX and go on about your business.

Thanks for your support. This pm really took me back for about 30 minutes.

I've sold to quite few people in my short time here, and have many happy, repeat customers, and several successful bulk-type sales to BSDs. I've had one book returned, because, as near as I could tell, the purchaser didn't read the description, or look at the scan. Again, I'm not trying to hide anything from anyone - I do try to point out flaws that are not obvious, and disclose restoration that I can detect.

Another thing is that my scanner accentuates back cover dirt and other flaws to make it look worse than what the book is in hand. I don't attempt to doctor this up at all. This book is not as "dirty" in hand as the scan would make it appear.

A good example is a book I purchased from someone else here - the left is the seller's scan, which is closer to the book in hand, and the right is my scan. I'm not accusing the seller of any monkey business either - he just has a better scanner / scanning abilities than I.

th_xx-8-65oww001.jpgth_xmen8bc.jpg

One other thing, I don't know what FMV is on an ASM Annual 4, as my guide is several years old. But the book is priced under using an old OSPG. Although, it is a higher percentage of guide than I would normally price it at, because it is a nice appearing and desirable (and in my opinion, higher-grade) early ASM.

200 NM+ $35, whitey white pages, extra newstand copy.

asm200c.jpgasm200cbc.jpg

Didn't this issue recap Spider-Man's origin?

That's what my OSPG says - "Origin Issue"

200 NM+ $35, whitey white pages, extra newstand copy.

Didn't this issue recap Spider-Man's origin?

That's what my OSPG says - "Origin Issue"

:gossip: Just trying to help with the sale, as why a high-grade copy of this book is still here was a surprise.

Hey:

My XXX is looking for this book. Am I missing something here? You have the book listed as VF. The BC alone well excludes it from this grade. IMHO No offense meant all. It is your book. You can do with it what you wish to. But I honestly doubt anyone on these boards would call this book a VF. What price are you trying to get for this copy? I know my XXX wont pay a VF price for this book.

Take Care

My response:

I don't see any kind of consistent grading on the glue rumpling of these old annuals, but I'm willing to listen - no one is perfect in the grading arts. There have been plenty of folks on the boards that have squeezed higher CGC grades out of my books than what I've assigned - I don't necessarily grade to CGC standards, if that's the implication. But I do try to hold true to my 37 years of experience in the hobby. Make an offer if it's attractive to you.

I think if the back cover was cleaned up, you actually under-graded it a spot or three. Those wrinkles don't hurt the grade much at all. That's easy VF.

MORE:

Hey:

You can post my name on your "Copy and Paste" PM I sent you. It wouldn't bug me in the least. This book IS NOT a VF IMHO. The FC left edge and in to the right a bit. There are what looks like some pretty noticeable "indentations" in this area as well.

The BC has not, possibly can't be cleaned. While it is a KS Annual. Those indentations, other problems keep this book out of the VF area IMHO. I also mentioned in my PM that No Offense was meant. It wasn't like I said "you can't grade. this book is not a VF" etc.etc. It is my grade of this book from what I see. Not a do this and that to the book and it might grade at X.. Good Luck with the sales.

My response:

I checked out the areas you mentioned along the FC left edge - this is more of the glue rumpling as on the back cover. They are not creases or pressure indentations. There is some slight color rubbing loss. I guess it is just a difference in grading terms :shrug: I've seen similar rubs on other books around here on otherwise nice books that have garnered 9.2 to 9.4 designations by the sellers. I'll stand by the VF grade. In handling the book again, I'd have to say it is a very nice book that the scans do not do justice.

This is a very nice book, and I think if you are satisfied with VF books, you would like this one - it's a very nice book. If you're expecting to get a VF+ or VFNM, well, it's not that.

Hey:

Take Care

My response:

MORE:

Hey:

You can post my name on your "Copy and Paste" PM I sent you. It wouldn't bug me in the least. This book IS NOT a VF IMHO. The FC left edge and in to the right a bit. There are what looks like some pretty noticeable "indentations" in this area as well.

The BC has not, possibly can't be cleaned. While it is a KS Annual. Those indentations, other problems keep this book out of the VF area IMHO. I also mentioned in my PM that No Offense was meant. It wasn't like I said "you can't grade. this book is not a VF" etc.etc. It is my grade of this book from what I see. Not a do this and that to the book and it might grade at X.. Good Luck with the sales.

My response:

I checked out the areas you mentioned along the FC left edge - this is more of the glue rumpling as on the back cover. They are not creases or pressure indentations. There is some slight color rubbing loss. I guess it is just a difference in grading terms :shrug: I've seen similar rubs on other books around here on otherwise nice books that have garnered 9.2 to 9.4 designations by the sellers. I'll stand by the VF grade. In handling the book again, I'd have to say it is a very nice book that the scans do not do justice.

This is a very nice book, and I think if you are satisfied with VF books, you would like this one - it's a very nice book. If you're expecting to get a VF+ or VFNM, well, it's not that.

Mike, dont even worry about it. You know what youre doing, and i think most here know that you know what youre doing.

Mike, dont even worry about it. You know what youre doing, and i think most here know that you know what youre doing.

:thumbsup: Thanks, Green - but the questions are good ones, and if he/she's seeing all this, then others are too, and I think it is good to address the statements so that folks are informed. I don't hammer printing/glue rumples on early Marvel annuals like I do bends and creases, but others may disagree, and are free to do so. I classify this stuff as printing/production defects, with some subsequent surface wear. And the scans make it appear worse than it is in hand.

No one here is going to agree 100 % on grading all of the time - it's an art, not a science. Heck, I don't even agree 50 % of the time...., so I just pass, and move to the books that I am interested in. :)