• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are people suposed to notify CGC when they deslab?
1 1

42 posts in this topic

doesnt CGC also give you a credit for returning certs?

They used to. No longer.

Shame.

We now have no real incentive to send the labels back. I'm not spending 96 cents on a stamp :sumo:

You're supposed to mail in the cert so they can remove it from the census.

CGC will only remove the book from the census if they receive the cert.

Uh oh !

No worries. I think guys like you and I who crack a small number of books out and enjoy the interiors are a lot smaller contributors than those that crack and resub a book and drop the label in the garbage,

If my books ever go for sale the label goes back to CGC...the rest? Wel, as they say the rest is history.

i dont think they care.

they took away the grading credit for books submitted with labels so there isnt even an incentive anymore.

I wouldn't say they care...there is only so much they can do to get the customer to return labels. In the end it should be the customer's decision as it is in the customer's best interests.

You're supposed to mail in the cert so they can remove it from the census.

CGC will only remove the book from the census if they receive the cert.

Uh oh !

No worries. I think guys like you and I who crack a small number of books out and enjoy the interiors are a lot smaller contributors than those that crack and resub a book and drop the label in the garbage,

If my books ever go for sale the label goes back to CGC...the rest? Wel, as they say the rest is history.

Agreed. I've got 3 BLs in my safe. That can't impact the overall pop's of those books.

Just wondering about this cuz of all the record keeping and stuff that goes on with CGC, and the census and all.....if we (or somebody) cracks open a slab to get to the book......wouldn't it be a good idea to notify them? Sort of like a courtesy or something. I mean it could alter alot of things if the guy with the highest graded copy of Marvel Mystery #58 cracks it open, which in my thinking would immediately put the second highest graded copy right to the top. Any thoughts?

Yes...and oh, btw...you're supposed to check the obits in your local paper and cross out the dead people in your phone book daily to keep it up to date... :makepoint:

So I'm not the only one that does this :grin:

i dont think they care.

they took away the grading credit for books submitted with labels so there isnt even an incentive anymore.

I wouldn't say they care...there is only so much they can do to get the customer to return labels. In the end it should be the customer's decision as it is in the customer's best interests.

How is it in the customers best interest?

It's truly best to get all the handwringing about the census out of your system....if you are subject to such hand wringing...now.

The census cannot ever be a completely accurate reflection of "what exists in what slabs."

People wrung their hands over the censuses on coins, and I imagine they wrung their hands over cards, but the reality is, the census only lists the most POSSIBLE copies, not the most EXTANT copies.

With the crack and re-sub game going full swing...and God forbid, cross subbing, should CGC get a legitimate competitor...there's no way the census will ever reflect the actual number of copies in slabs of just about anything.

CGC is NOT going to go through the trouble of "delisting" things unless they get certs sent back in, and everyone knows that not all certs have been sent in.

So...the best thing for the entire community to do with regard to the census is understand that it is an approximation only. A very GOOD approximation...but an approximation nevertheless.

One thing you CAN be sure of, however: there will never be MORE copies in slabs than the census states (unless Gemma really drops the ball, and I doubt that will happen.) (And before anyone gets all whiny about it, no, that does not include copies slabbed since the last update, and that should be understood without having to say it, but there you have it.)

I've probably cracked out 300+ slabs by now, and not sent any labels back into CGC.

I just liberated 11 the past two days. 

I would have done more, but sadly, several 9.4s don't measure up to my raw 9.0s, so those slabs will go into the resale bin.

On 8/17/2009 at 7:00 PM, Senormac said:

Just wondering about this cuz of all the record keeping and stuff that goes on with CGC, and the census and all.....if we (or somebody) cracks open a slab to get to the book......wouldn't it be a good idea to notify them? Sort of like a courtesy or something. I mean it could alter alot of things if the guy with the highest graded copy of Marvel Mystery #58 cracks it open, which in my thinking would immediately put the second highest graded copy right to the top. Any thoughts?

Garbage in garbage out. Of course we should be notifying CGC when we crack slabs open!  Otherwise we have zero leg to stand on when complaining about the census being jacked up. This is particularly important as the census can drive prices. To bust slabs open and not let CGC know is just being inconsiderate to other collectors, and is totally self centered. If we turn the labels over at least we did our part. 

2 minutes ago, Iconic1s said:

Garbage in garbage out. Of course we should be notifying CGC when we crack slabs open!  Otherwise we have zero leg to stand on when complaining about the census being jacked up. This is particularly important as the census can drive prices. To bust slabs open and not let CGC know is just being inconsiderate to other collectors, and is totally self centered. If we turn the labels over at least we did our part. 

lol

On 8/17/2009 at 9:53 PM, Bosco685 said:

At least there are only one sacred 2.0 and 2.5 in the whole entire Wolverine #1 Limited Series census. But they could be the 10.0s now. hm

84345.jpg.2c5d08189d3886ce2c8190db296b9702.jpg

Just for kicks......here's a direct comparison of the census numbers for Wolverine Limited Series #1.......10 years later.

WolverineLimitedCensus.jpg.d4af8272e5e3a41fc13fa02f5782e107.jpg