• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you sell all/most of your OA to buy an engagement ring?

66 posts in this topic

If I sold all my comic art to buy an engagement ring, I think a part of me would be lost forever. And that might just be the part of me that made me into the guy she fell in love with in the first place.

So, personally, I would find another way to fund the engagement ring. Don't get swept up in the "get the biggest, best ring you can find because if you don't then you obviously don't love her" mentality. Just my 2 cents. If you love her that deeply, she already knows, and no rock will prove it any further.

Hari

If I sold all my comic art to buy an engagement ring, I think a part of me would be lost forever. And that might just be the part of me that made me into the guy she fell in love with in the first place.

So, personally, I would find another way to fund the engagement ring. Don't get swept up in the "get the biggest, best ring you can find because if you don't then you obviously don't love her" mentality. Just my 2 cents. If you love her that deeply, she already knows, and no rock will prove it any further.

Hari

I couldn't agree more. Do some research and really study your woman's interests and taste and you might be surprised. When I started doing that, I found out that my wife actually thought the bigger, flashier diamonds looked showy and tacky. I ended up selecting the right cut and shape for her hand and taste but spent well under the thousands and thousands that I see others spending (not that it was cheap mind you! but just in comparison to the "bigger is better" crowd I see). Even now, years later, she still loves that ring and gets just as many compliments on it as the big ones.

I've told myself to always hold on to my OA through thick and thin and at the time said that the only thing that would get me to sell would be if I were to get married and I couldn't get the money any other way. Well there is an amazing woman in my life who I would consider this. Would you sell or try and find another way?

I think there's some truth to a lot of the posts here. It doesn't make a lot of sense to go overboard on your ring budget, especially not in these economically troubled times. We all know too that diamonds are overpriced at retail. On the other hand, that doesn't mean get the barest-bones, cheapest ring you can find. I wouldn't go overboard selling off OA or other assets to buy an engagement ring, but I wouldn't rule it out as a source of funds either if need be.

I have a female friend from high school whose first marriage lasted less than a year. I had heard about how successful her fiance (at the time) was, and was shocked when I saw her microscopic engagement ring. I mean, it was literally the smallest diamond I had ever seen in my life and it wasn't an heirloom or anything; he actually went out and bought the smallest possible diamond he could find. I guess I wasn't surprised either when I heard he had "proposed" to her on the sofa during a TV commercial break ("so, think we should get married?") :doh:

I guess what I'm saying is: be smart about your finances, sell whatever you need to in order to get her something respectable, but don't go overboard just because you're head over heels in love either. :foryou: