• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Carl Barks Mother load
1 1

31 posts in this topic

Have i missed the thread, I am surprise it has not been discussed. It would be a bit like a certain European collector dropping his entire Kirby inventory on ebay all at once. I am not in the know on Carl Barks paintings, are these realistic or even realisable prices?

Why dropped them all at once?

Remember when that did happen to the Kirby market? Didn't take that long for prices to stabalize and start climbing again. Maybe because dealers got a hold of the majority of it first but prices started climbing again within 6 months of that huge amount of art hitting the market.

Ruben

http://www.collectingfool.com

Have i missed the thread, I am surprise it has not been discussed. It would be a bit like a certain European collector dropping his entire Kirby inventory on ebay all at once. I am not in the know on Carl Barks paintings, are these realistic or even realisable prices?

Eh, maybe he needed to buy another Tough Kid Squad ;) Judging from his ebay profile this is none other than........... the one............. the only....... "shirtless" Theo Holstein

Bronty, if they're talking about the half dozen Barks pieces from $30-100k on fleaBay right now, those are from Diamond/Geppi

though I will admit, at first I thought it would be Theo.

However once I saw which paintings they were, I knew different as 5 of the 6 used to hang in one of my best friend's homes..

Bronty, if they're talking about the half dozen Barks pieces from $30-100k on fleaBay right now, those are from Diamond/Geppi

However once I saw which paintings they were, I knew different as 5 of the 6 used to hang in one of my best friend's homes..

aha, you're right I didn't look closely enough Diamond is the seller on most of them. "preduction" is the seller on one piece however, and I think that's Theo per this description

Please add me to your list of favorite sellers and come again. I BUY and Sell 1904 Penny Arcade, 1950 Arcade Machines, Go Karts, Carl Barks, Mad, Bill Ward ,Howdy Doody, Cartoon Character dolls & toys, 1st Issue Spiderman, Superman comics, Props & Film Production, Vintage Cars, 850 Jukeboxes

I don't understand the Carl Barks duck market

Can somebody explain it to me ?

Well, what confuses you about it? The fact that the paintings sometimes don't look like much yet go for large sums?

99.99% of the art got destroyed and all that's left are these commissioned paintings done after the fact. So if you want a barks pen and ink the pickings are beyond slim and the prices sometimes just as steep as the paintings. The paintings sometimes aren't the best in my view (he was a much better line art artist than he was a painter 2c ) but if you want something by one of the masters of comic book art and storytelling, its pretty much all you can get.

There's some heavy hitters that are into barks and would no doubt love a painting. I love barks a ton myself but could never pay this kind of dough for one even if I could easily afford it.

I don't understand the Carl Barks duck market

Can somebody explain it to me ?

Well, what confuses you about it? The fact that the paintings sometimes don't look like much yet go for large sums?

99.99% of the art got destroyed and all that's left are these commissioned paintings done after the fact. So if you want a barks pen and ink the pickings are beyond slim and the prices sometimes just as steep as the paintings. The paintings sometimes aren't the best in my view (he was a much better line art artist than he was a painter 2c ) but if you want something by one of the masters of comic book art and storytelling, its pretty much all you can get.

There's some heavy hitters that are into barks and would no doubt love a painting. I love barks a ton myself but could never pay this kind of dough for one even if I could easily afford it.

Thanks for the explanation

aha, you're right I didn't look closely enough Diamond is the seller on most of them. "preduction" is the seller on one piece however, and I think that's Theo per this description

Please add me to your list of favorite sellers and come again. I BUY and Sell 1904 Penny Arcade, 1950 Arcade Machines, Go Karts, Carl Barks, Mad, Bill Ward ,Howdy Doody, Cartoon Character dolls & toys, 1st Issue Spiderman, Superman comics, Props & Film Production, Vintage Cars, 850 Jukeboxes

that must have been the 6th one

:-)

Eh, maybe he needed to buy another Tough Kid Squad ;) Judging from his ebay profile this is none other than........... the one............. the only....... "shirtless" Theo Holstein

He was so dreamy :luhv:

:insane:

Bronty, there was only one thing wrong with Theo's ad.......

everyone I ever knew who tried to sell him something NEVER got his advertised offering

Last time Theo tried to buy something from me was about 1995 at SDCC. I had a pulp cover painting at 5k

Theo asked if I would take $2500 and worked his way up to $4500 and I still wouldn't sell it to him and he couldn't understand why. He was with one of my best friends in the world who came back a little while later and asked why I was giving him a hard time and I told him a 20 year old story of Theo screwing me for $5 and I would never do business with him since. Theo came back and offered to buy it for my 5k price.. well, I still wouldn't sell it to him. Too bad Theo

Edited by comicartcom

Hey Rich,

Who is Stu?

Alex

Bronty, there was only one thing wrong with Stuey's ad.......

everyone I ever knew who tried to sell him something NEVER got his advertised offering

Last time Stu tried to buy something from me was about 1995 at SDCC. I had a pulp cover painting at 5k

Stu asked if I would take $2500 and worked his way up to $4500 and I still wouldn't sell it to him and he couldn't understand why. He was with one of my best friends in the world who came back a little while later and asked why I was giving him a hard time and I told him a 20 year old story of Stu screwing me for $5 and I would never do business with him since. Stu came back and offered to buy it for my 5k price.. well, I still wouldn't sell it to him. Too bad Stuey

Last time Theo tried to buy something from me was about 1995 at SDCC. I had a pulp cover painting at 5k

Theo asked if I would take $2500 and worked his way up to $4500 and I still wouldn't sell it to him and he couldn't understand why. He was with one of my best friends in the world who came back a little while later and asked why I was giving him a hard time and I told him a 20 year old story of Theo screwing me for $5 and I would never do business with him since. Theo came back and offered to buy it for my 5k price.. well, I still wouldn't sell it to him. Too bad Theo

Wow great story Rich... makes me look at the ad in a whole new light. Did he shaft you for payment on a $5 book or something?

Wow great story Rich... makes me look at the ad in a whole new light. Did he shaft you for payment on a $5 book or something?

he called me collect several times and I wouldn't take his calls.

finally - this was when an operator would cut in - the operator let him say he wanted to buy something I had, so I accepted the call. He didn't buy the item, but he promised to send me $5 to cover the call.. He never did. When I saw him at SDCC that year (in the early 80s) I asked for the $5 and he got all indignant. I told him he was a spoonhole and he would never be able to buy from me ever again.

in other words, Theo was just a general spoonhole, and I never sold him anything ever again.

the moral is.....

well hell, if there was a moral there, I didn't know it

:-)