• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Visual guide to Mylar sizes
54 54

499 posts in this topic

If all else fails I have taken a magazine board(s) and cut it to the size I need.
I bought my wife, the school teacher, a paper cutter for her birthday. I use it all the time to trim boards and make them fit - one of the better investments I've made - saves a ton of time and frustration. I also buy microchamber paper in the 8 x 14 size and cut it in half - works great, and is much cheaper that way.

Apologies in advance but I have been trying to figure this out for a while.  I figured it would be easier just to post a pic and ask.

Can someone tell me what gerber, mylite, mylar, top loader, archive, or whatever this thing is?  And where I can buy them?

As you can see it is big enough to hold a bagged and boarded bronze book.  Measures 7 5/8" wide x 11" long x 1/4" thick.  Very sturdy.  

IMG_0933.jpg

Edited by jeranimal

1 hour ago, jeranimal said:

Apologies in advance but I have been trying to figure this out for a while.  I figured it would be easier just to post a pic and ask.

Can someone tell me what gerber, mylite, mylar, top loader, archive, or whatever this thing is?  And where I can buy them?

As you can see it is big enough to hold a bagged and boarded bronze book.  Measures 7 5/8" wide x 11" long x 1/4" thick.  Very sturdy.  

IMG_0933.jpg

Is the material rigid or flexible?

Just now, lizards2 said:

Is the material rigid or flexible?

The sides and bottom are rigid but the middle is flexible (see pic).  

I think these might be them.  

https://www.opentip.com/search.php?cPath=24374&products_id=7960079&gclid=CjwKCAiAj53SBRBcEiwAT-3A2OrNTHy6ksxBx-rd-Es_ulLx0zA8rJu34zUrLvBph1l65Wr_of4G2BoCvOEQAvD_BwE

IMG_0939.jpg

3 minutes ago, jeranimal said:

The sides and bottom are rigid but the middle is flexible (see pic).  

I think these might be them.  

https://www.opentip.com/search.php?cPath=24374&products_id=7960079&gclid=CjwKCAiAj53SBRBcEiwAT-3A2OrNTHy6ksxBx-rd-Es_ulLx0zA8rJu34zUrLvBph1l65Wr_of4G2BoCvOEQAvD_BwE

IMG_0939.jpg

Yeah - that was my guess if they were flexible. I've got 6-8 used ones I could mail you if you want them.  I've bought several comics from Dave & Adams in the past year, and the books were sealed in these with some kind of tamper proof tape across the top. I was thinking of shipping comics in them, but I've got a system, and they just sit there, waiting to be tossed.

2 hours ago, jeranimal said:

IMG_0933.jpg

The hard plastic holder is a top loader of golden age size that you can buy here:

http://www.bcwsupplies.com/type/toploader/golden-comic-book-topload-holder

The bag and board for the comic should then be a Mylite 2 of silver age size, and for best board use an EGerber fullback.

If this is just for personal storage the Top loader is overkill.

I use the top loaders when displaying books at comic shows. I put books that I lay flat on the table into top loaders to keep the books alive as thoughtless and uncaring people lean on them or put their heavy bags/backpacks/purses/whatever on top of the books and ruin the books by adding creases or popping staples.

On 4/4/2018 at 2:01 PM, Ovrclck said:

Does anyone know if 825M2/778FB (super gold) will fit into a archive 875R?

There would definitely be enough room in terms of the sides as you would have a half inch of total extra space. However the gauge/thickness capacity of the R sleeve could be at its limits in that scenario given you would have the a FB board already mounted in an M2. Those Rs are more rigid as well so it would be a very snug fit if you could even do it.  I know someone who has done similar configurations with smaller size bags and HB board combos.  

Edited by DC|Marvel

On 8/5/2014 at 1:21 AM, oakman29 said:

Use the magazine top loaders for everything. :idea:

Regretfully a few years back when I was moving, I sold a pallet of Magazine TLs. Today I pulled out some boxes of raws mounted on 775M2/750FB combos and remembered these will not fit in the Golden TL's. I tend to be more conservative preferring more board space and would rather not try to squeeze BA comics on 700FBs.

With that said can anyone please post pic(s) of a 9" Magazine TL mounted with a 775M2 bag from front view and side?? Thinking the amount of slack being just over an inch should not be a big deal at all presentation wise.

Lastly I can get a 7MM Mag TL at a cost of 9 cents more than the 5MM version so if anyone has experience/thoughts on that, please share.   

2 hours ago, DC|Marvel said:

There would definitely be enough room in terms of the sides as you would have a half inch of total extra space. However the gauge/thickness capacity of the R sleeve could be at its limits in that scenario given you would have the a FB board already mounted in an M2. Those Rs are more rigid as well so it would be a very snug fit if you could even do it.  I know someone who has done similar configurations with smaller size bags and HB board combos.  

Thanks for the reply. I've since scratched that idea. 775M2's into 825R's works quite well. As well as 725M2 into 775R.

On 8/28/2009 at 12:10 PM, mschmidt said:

A tip: When you're using a combo, put the book inside the Mylite or Mylites2 with the flap at the bottom of the book - it makes it a lot easier to slide it in & out of the Archive.

I have always been a flap on top guy.  I guess it's like the age old  toilet paper roll debate, under or over.

Nice guide.  I only learned about mylites and full/half backs a few years ago when I started getting some early ASMs.  Until then it was regular poly. 

On 8/28/2009 at 12:10 PM, mschmidt said:

Of the SA combos below, my favorite is the one that uses the Mylites2 (Gold) 800M2 and the Archive (Super Gold) 825R.

Anyone have a trick to help me out?

I bought this combo with half backs for each.  The archives are super tight straight out of the package and it is very hard to get an 800m2 to slide into the 825R.  Any trick to loosen up the archive or to get the 800m2 in easier?  

17 hours ago, Squad008 said:

Anyone have a trick to help me out?

I bought this combo with half backs for each.  The archives are super tight straight out of the package and it is very hard to get an 800m2 to slide into the 825R.  Any trick to loosen up the archive or to get the 800m2 in easier?  

That's odd. I've never had that issue and I use 800M2 Gold MyLites2 with TRIPLE Full-Backs into an 825R Super Gold Archive sleeve. It's snug but not too tight or difficult to slide in. Maybe a bad batch? 

23 minutes ago, shortboxed said:

That's odd. I've never had that issue and I use 800M2 Gold MyLites2 with TRIPLE Full-Backs into an 825R Super Gold Archive sleeve. It's snug but not too tight or difficult to slide in. Maybe a bad batch? 

That would be my guess as well. Or possibly mislabeled bags.

Best investment I ever made.  I rarely have to fuss with backing board sizes anymore, and I have been able to standardize my bag sizes.

81RFUbI3k1L._SL1500_.jpg

1 hour ago, shortboxed said:

1 hour ago, Artboy99 said:

That would be my guess as well. Or possibly mislabeled bags.

Hmmm... Possibly.  I bought 4 packs of each straight from egerber.  I'll have to open up another package and see if it makes a difference.  If I had to guess, the issue would be the 800M2 mylar, when I used the 775M2 with the 825R it went straight in without much friction or resistance.  I'll give another package a try.

I am sorry for posting in this old thread but I still use it as a resource.  I am in the process of rebagging part of my collection.  I have junky books that I love.  Mylite2 are just too expensive for the comics that I own.  Plus they take up alot of room in the box.  So I decided to go with Mylite+ as I am tired of throwing money away on those other bag and boards you get from the comic shops.  I order them at a very expensive price and they arrived.  I start to board the mylites+ and to my dismay the boards are TOO tall for the bags.  Now I will have a big air gap which really cannot be good of the comic.

I am just posting this for reference purposes.  I ordered Mylites+ Standard  and Half Back 700.  The picture Mylite+ on the left and Mylite2 on the right.  You can see that there is a lot of board sticking up.

Mylite.thumb.jpg.42d4508be32c3070fddf3688a5b4718b.jpg

Addition:  So half way thorough the pack, the boards lined up properly with the bags.  Must be a quality control issue.  I opened up the second pack already and no issue. 

Edited by nocutename
Added more info