• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Visual guide to Mylar sizes
56 56

498 posts in this topic

One question, because it wasn't clear from the pictures - when you do the Mylite+Archive combo, you put the Full Back inside the Mylite next to the book, yes?

Yeah - there's one backing board in the Mylite (with the book), and then another in the Archive.

Right on, man! Some good advice here... I just put all of my books, Golden Age to Modern in Golden Age bags. Makes for a very orderly, neat collection to flip through, and I dig uniformity.

Is there a CGC sized mylar?

Yep - the Legal size Mylites2 (914M2) is 9" x 14 1/4" which fits a slab.

One thing I've noticed with these is that, on a regular CGC box, the bags are stiff on the sides and make the box bow out some. I think it limits the # of slabs you could fit in one box. But I don't have enough to fill a whole box to find out. Next I get a CGC box, I may order the magazine size instead.

For those of you who do use Mylar for slabs, do you use the 1mm or 2mm?

Gerber doesn't make Mylites in the Legal size - only Mylites2.

A lot of people also use either the Hotflips CGC Flip-n-stick bags or the Bags Unlimited resealable CGC bags - both of which are poly, not mylar.

Now explain halfback and fullbacks, what tape to use( does tape have a deterimental effect with offgassing and glue to the comic) and also how to store standing up, down in a box or cabinet ?

Edited by 3319

For those of you who do use Mylar for slabs, do you use the 1mm or 2mm?

Gerber doesn't make Mylites in the Legal size - only Mylites2.

A lot of people also use either the Hotflips CGC Flip-n-stick bags or the Bags Unlimited resealable CGC bags - both of which are poly, not mylar.

Thanks. I have the hotflip bags but I like the clarity and feel of mylites more.

I was looking at BCE's Arklites and Arklites2 which both seem to fit CGC. I'm assuming most don't order thru BCE because of their higher price, though.

Maybe add a small slab section to your OP?

Great idea and execution :golfclap:

We need what the Coin guys have, a sub forum of "What you need to know- about Comic Collecting"

All the vital sticky worthy "how to" threads in one place for everyone to have access to without clogging up the top of CG with a dozen sticky threads.

Again, great job Mike.

Now explain halfback and fullbacks, what tape to use( does tape have a deterimental effect with offgassing and glue to the comic) and also how to store standing up, down in a box or cabinet ?

Half-backs are 24 mil, true acid free boards which are buffered throughout (unlike regular backing boards which are merely "acid free at time of manufacture" and buffered of one side). 24 mil is about the thickness of a regular backing board.

Full-backs are the same, just 42 mil instead - so they're almost twice as thick as the half-backs.

Pretty much all tape is archival-safe - I favor the Scotch Transparent 600 tape (in the red box), because it doesn't fray or tear when you try to pull it off (unlike the matte finish Scotch Magic tape).

How you store the books seem to be a matter of personal preference - I have mine standing upright in a mixture of modified filing cabinets, drawerboxes, and Gerber's acid free boxes.

Nice job! :applause:

Personal Preference: I've found that 2 Half-Backs together are NOT better than 1 Full-Back even though the combined thickness would be 48 mil to 42 mil. The single Full-Back provides much more rigidity. (This is more apparent with the SA sizes and up.)

Great information, thanks. I've always struggled with the proper way to store the DC 100 Page giants and other squarebound books. What do you use for mylar sizes for these books? What about boards? Any advice would be appreciated.