• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Visual guide to Mylar sizes
54 54

499 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, websurfergee said:

Hi,

I’m new here.  I bought a few comics in my youth and purchased The Walking Dead compendiums, but have only started collecting in earnest recently.  I’m a fan of the Blade Runner films, and when I saw a new comic (Blade Runner 2019) was coming out, I thought I’d give comics another try.  I want to take care of the new books I’ve purchased, so I’ve been doing my research and - long story, short - found this informative thread started by mschmidt 10 years ago (thanks to him & all who have contributed).  From reading this thread/seeing the pictures, I’ve decided to put my books in to the E. Gerber Standard 725M2’s with 700FB’s, but I do have a couple of follow-up questions:  Would placing a modern comic using the 725M2/700FB setup with the flap at the bottom and then placing that into a 775R Silver/Golden Archive (which would then fold the flap up & back) eliminate the need for tape/painter’s tape/3M flags/Velcro dots?  Would you then still need a  750FB or 750HB inside the 775R?  Would there be enough room?  Or are two bags with two boards overkill that would further lead to the need for a larger box because of the 7 and 3/4” width, as well as the additional height from the 7/8” Archive flap that cannot be folded?  Any comic experts, who have been doing this a while, think a Mylites2 with a full-back and some kind of way to close the flap is plenty and I’m just getting carried away?  Thanks for your time and attention.  I just want to show my books the love.

Gavin

Whether you tape the inner bag or not is really up to you - I like having a HB inside the Archive, just to provide a bit more rigidity. This is the method I use to store pricey modern books.

modern-725m2-775R.jpg

I usually just use 2mill mylar with full back on my silver age and my more valuable ones. but might consider doing double bags and boards but probably will just try to save to slab them. 

On 9/10/2019 at 12:55 PM, websurfergee said:

mschmidt,

Just to be clear before I purchase...In the picture above, is that a full back next to book and a half back inside the archive or a half back next to book and half back inside the archive?

@mschmidt

Edit @websurfergee gotta put @ in front of board name to get a quicker response.

Edited by Catwomancomics

On 8/28/2009 at 6:26 PM, ckp1680 said:

This is perfect! I don't own any golden age comics so I didn't have to worry about that size. I just went through my trial and error process and arrived at the 775M2 for all my books, silver age to copper. I'm weird and I like to have them all fit into the box the same :screwy: When I use the archives however I do like to use the 800R with the 750HB, otherwise its such a tight fit and I get paranoid I'm smooshing them :grin:

This is a great resource ^^

What boxes do you use for the 775M2?

I just want to say that this is one of the best, most informative topics on these boards.

I still bust it out from time to time to get a visual for some diff things I'm considering for my raws.

Free bump for the newbs on the site who may be interested in it.

I was using a one size fits all approach but now I want the "tightest" fit for the size of the comic to prevent shifting around.  
I like how World Wide Comics bag and board their books.  I've bought from them and the books arrive really looking nice and they fit nice and tight in the bag and board.  
I think I'm going to go back to 4mil Mylars and half and full back acid free boards but I haven't quite made up my mind yet. 

Hi All!

Total newbie here but kudos to the OP mschmidt - This post is an amazing wealth of information!

I have just started collecting - Huge fan of The Walking Dead franchise so I decided to start collecting The Walking Dead Deluxe series - Already have all the #'s 1&2 cover variants and  a few of the foil variants, #1 gold foil, Negan Lives bronze and silver foil covers, and I am looking into protecting my collection properly.  Talked to my comic book store guy and he suggested putting the comics into mylar sleeves with no back boards, and then sliding that into a slightly larger bag with a back board in the larger bag.  I actually though that was an interesting idea as it allows you to slide the inner mylar out to enjoy both the front and back covers without removing the comic from it's mylar bag. I don't think I would do it with all my comics, maybe just the more expensive ones...  I think for my regular covers I will just go with Mylites2 and Full-Backs.

Just wondering if anyone has done this method of double bagging before?  What did you think? Good idea or bad?  Would it be better to use Mylites4 for the inner mylar bag maybe?  Then I was thinking Half-Backs and Archives for the outers...

Cheers from Canada!

Oliver

On 8/29/2019 at 10:16 AM, mschmidt said:

Whether you tape the inner bag or not is really up to you - I like having a HB inside the Archive, just to provide a bit more rigidity. This is the method I use to store pricey modern books.

http://angryapecomics.com/mylarguide/modern-725m2-775R.jpg

Thank you so much for this thread. I am about to purchase all the supplies to store my new Blade Runner comics too. Would a 750FB work as a second board inside of a 775 Archive containing a  725ML2 and a 700FB? I see you mentioned a HB works in this scenario but I am curious if a FB would work for the archives board too. Thank you!

On 9/22/2022 at 12:03 AM, dikran1 said:

If you want thick, the 56pt boards from comic pro line are amazing!

I'll have to look into them.

I like the comic pro stuff ...  too bad my local shop hasn't been getting many shipments of them lately.  😪