• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mound City Collection One of the Greatest Silver Age Finds of the Century

2,756 posts in this topic

and it's only 3000 books, i'm surprised it got a pedigree designation. (shrug)

Well then you won't be surprised to know that it didn't. In fact, it appears that none of the books have been graded by CGC - hopefully, that will change when the collection comes up for sale.

Yet they claim on the auction site the better books WILL be CGC'ed I want to know why they haven't been before the sale is announced? That doesn't sound right.

Hey,

I am just trying to get the word out to any silver age collectors that might be interested in filling thier collection with some nice books. From my understanding this is an original one owner collection from a guy who had been collecting comics since he was a little kid. I dont think there is any reason for everyone to get so nasty.

Hey,

I am just trying to get the word out to any silver age collectors that might be interested in filling thier collection with some nice books. From my understanding this is an original one owner collection from a guy who had been collecting comics since he was a little kid. I dont think there is any reason for everyone to get so nasty.

Nobody is being nasty, we're pointing out the fallacy of your statement. Plus, spamming the boards with hype isn't a good first step. And it certainly doesn't come off that way when you call something, "greatest silver age collection"... of any time period. It's not even the best find of the last 9 years or so, let alone "super special".

If it's one owner great... but be careful on that AF 15, looks trimmed. Would like to see that in a blue label CGC holder which I am sure it is off to.

Hey,

Nobody has been nasty, just skeptical and wary of the hype. More information on the collection would be beneficial, too.

Now, now.

Please don't forgot to acknowledge the new businesses out there

BKcollectibles and MadScientistcomics.com

I think my new rant will be naming all the forum member "collectors" businesses for them.

So you sold any of my consignments recently? They're some of the greatest comics offered for sale this century. :baiting:

BTW, I prefer the term "angry scientist".

It would also help since I being a dealer have a profile filled out with some information on who I am.

I am interested in this collection, I did hear about it in Chicago. I also don't know this particular auction house and in general a lot of people are a little leery about raw books being this is a CGC forum which generally deals with "graded" books.

The listing of this collection looks a little rushed, it reflects that maybe the auction house doesn't know how to market it exactly. Obviously somebody must have talked to them about getting some of the bigger items graded which would help their bottom line. It would also clear up the "What's the real grade" debate that is obviously being posted in this thread.

Hey,

They aren't being nasty. This is a group of professional collectors. CGC forums. So when you claim the books will be CGC graded one has to wonder if you actually are going to do it before said auction and then reposting the official grades and pictures of the slabs.

I have bought loads of comics from folks who have had them since they were kids. Most of the people here are serious collectors. A lot of them even have more books than I do!

They also have more money than I do. Deeper pockets/more serious collectors are usually more wary when they hear of an amazing collection...

Hey,

Here are the undisputed facts from the auctioneer whom I (and I believe Roy) has spoken to:

The guy did purchase the books from a local barber shop (on River St in St Louis I believe) and put them away over the years. He passed on in his mid 40s and left them to Mom. Mom had no idea what they were and willed them to the nephew when she passed. The nephew brought them in to Mound City and many are going to be CGC graded. The auction is planned in Nov before the big HA auction as he does not want to compete with HA.

Personally, I went through many of the books with the "hand lens" he has on the website a few weeks ago. Some are nice and some aren't. The probelm is you see a book one day and it disappears the next on the website...

It would also help since I being a dealer have a profile filled out with some information on who I am.

I am interested in this collection, I did hear about it in Chicago. I also don't know this particular auction house and in general a lot of people are a little leery about raw books being this is a CGC forum which generally deals with "graded" books.

The listing of this collection looks a little rushed, it reflects that maybe the auction house doesn't know how to market it exactly. Obviously somebody must have talked to them about getting some of the bigger items graded which would help their bottom line. It would also clear up the "What's the real grade" debate that is obviously being posted in this thread.

+1

This is completely the wrong way to go about selling this collection.

Totally agree. However, I'd like to note that I would like my company to be called "I wish I was Bob Storms Collectibles" for my official corporate name.

Spamming multiple forums with the "information" also doesn't smack as just "passing it along". I'm sure there will be a feeding frenzy over certain books while the drek sells for nothing or not at all.

Buy the way, the autioneer is trying to get the local Chamber rented out to show the books prior to the auction.

St Louis is just a few hours north from here...

We can climb the arch with rubber grips...(look Mom no hands !)

My apologies to everyone. Let me start from scratch.

If anyone is interested there will be an auction of some nice silver age marvel and DC books in the St. Louis area November 2009. I sincerely apologize if i have offended anyone.

Thanks

Hey,

1) Stop spamming all the forums. There is a forum expressly for advertising sales not offered exclusively to board members.

2) There is already a thread started in GA that talks about this and wasn't started by someone with an interest in the auction.

3) What do you mean, "From my understanding ...." Are you trying to say you're not affiliated with the books or the auction house in any way?

4) TELL US THE DATE OF THE AUCTION IF ANY OF THESE POSTS ARE TO HAVE ANY VALUE WHATSOEVER.

I can't believe a big auction house (Mound City Auctions) doesn't even know the date and yet they/you are handing out flyers in Chicago and hyping it elsewhere. I know at least 2 boardies coming in and staying at my place for this auction, but none of us knows the date. Here's a suggestion, don't make it Thanksgiving weekend.