• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mound City Collection One of the Greatest Silver Age Finds of the Century

2,756 posts in this topic

K.E. Runkle,

Wecome to the boards.

I'm not crazy about the hostility in this thread. I'm not sure I would want to socialize with some of the posters? (shrug)

However, if I was attempting to market a "major" SA find I would swallow my pride and attempt to understand what I was being told and follow the advice being issued. I might not have the motivation to have a drink with a few but I would trust what they are telling you. I suspect that you are reading posts from some of the most extremely knowledgeable players in the hobby. :headbang:

My apologies to everyone. Let me start from scratch.

If anyone is interested there will be an auction of some nice silver age marvel and DC books in the St. Louis area November 2009. I sincerely apologize if i have offended anyone.

Thanks

We don't need to be present in St Louis, right? We can do the online bidding?

"I know at least 2 boardies coming in and staying at my place for this auction, but none of us knows the date".

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Transplant;

How do I make a reservation (at your establishment) for my trip to St. Louis?

Will breakfast be included in my stay?

Will you be supplying ground transportation (if needed).

In case my luggage is too heavy from all the slabs I might be carrying home. could you possibly drive me back to NY?

Awaiting your reply,

Jay

"I know at least 2 boardies coming in and staying at my place for this auction, but none of us knows the date".

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Transplant;

In case my luggage is too heavy from all the slabs I might be carrying home. could you possibly drive me back to NY?

Awaiting your reply,

Jay

Jay Maybruck ? The 'ole Sparkle City Comics guy ?

K.E. Runkle,

Wecome to the boards.

I'm not crazy about the hostility in this thread. I'm not sure I would want to socialize with some of the posters? (shrug)

yeah, it does seem a little out of hand.

Transplant;

Awaiting your reply,

Jay

lol

K.E. Runkle,

Wecome to the boards.

i dont know.. its always the same people , they all talk and then high five each other in alot of threads....it reminds me of the old AOL chat room days back in 97 :cloud9:

Hey,

I am just trying to get the word out to any silver age collectors that might be interested in filling thier collection with some nice books. From my understanding this is an original one owner collection from a guy who had been collecting comics since he was a little kid. I dont think there is any reason for everyone to get so nasty.

:preach: Welcome to the boards!!!

K.E. Runkle,

Wecome to the boards.

I agree, some of you really need to calm down. This chatboard is about comics, it is about education & it is supposed to fun. It IS NOT about slamming newbies & other antics. Relax everyone...it's SUNDAY!

West

K.E. Runkle,

Wecome to the boards.

I agree, some of you really need to calm down. This chatboard is about comics, it is about education & it is supposed to fun. It IS NOT about slamming newbies & other antics. Relax everyone...it's SUNDAY!

West

Please. Save it. I don't think anyone said or did anything out of line.

I agree with that but I think the slamming such as it was happened because of the unique mix of hype and complete lack of detail regarding the sale.

Runkle, I wish you the best with the sale but would suggest you post the following details in summary format along with anything else of relevance:

- the history of the collection and the original owner

- whether they will be cgc'd / raw / both

- when and where the books may be viewed in person

- any grades known to date (and by whom graded)

- possibly a list of the books in the collection

- where and when they will be sold

- what forms of payment will be accepted

etc etc etc.

Everybody loves to hear about a quality sale but the initial posting was one or two sentences with no information; if you're selling buyers appreciate having all the information up front without having to play 20 questions. 2c

I agree with that but I think the slamming such as it was happened because of the unique mix of hype and complete lack of detail regarding the sale.

Runkle, I wish you the best with the sale but would suggest you post the following details in summary format along with anything else of relevance:

etc etc etc.

Everybody loves to hear about a quality sale but the initial posting was one or two sentences with no information; if you're selling buyers appreciate having all the information up front without having to play 20 questions. 2c

:applause:

etc etc etc.

^^

etc etc etc.

The problem wasn't anything more than the lack of information, over hype language and then the spamming.

When people come on and spam, there's generally a lot of negativity because it isn't someone coming on who is truly a "newbie" here that everyone is jumping on -- if it was someone here for innocent reasons (or purely to "learn"), then I agree that the reaction was too harsh. But that certainly isn't the impression here, it's someone posting in multiple forums the same message

So when I see the posts of people being critical as if some people were too harsh or unfair or piling on -- I don't agree. I think that unfortunately we've all developed a heightened level of skepticism.

K.E. Runkle,

Wecome to the boards.

West

I could not agree more.

The problem wasn't anything more than the lack of information, over hype language and then the spamming.

When people come on and spam, there's generally a lot of negativity because it isn't someone coming on who is truly a "newbie" here that everyone is jumping on -- if it was someone here for innocent reasons (or purely to "learn"), then I agree that the reaction was too harsh. But that certainly isn't the impression here, it's someone posting in multiple forums the same message

So when I see the posts of people being critical as if some people were too harsh or unfair or piling on -- I don't agree. I think that unfortunately we've all developed a heightened level of skepticism.

i agree. for instance, i don't trust no man what wears floppy shoes. it's un-american by gum

i agree. for instance, i don't trust no man what wears floppy shoes. it's un-american by gum

Are you coming to baltimore this year? Since it's in October, there's an outside chance I won't be wearing flip flops, just for you.