• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Now-famous fans and their letters
1 1

69 posts in this topic

I was flipping through a recent acquisition, a 'House of Mystery' #300, when a name at the bottom of a fan letter jumped out at me:

toddm.jpg

Think it's 'our' Todd McFarlane? The address and his focus on the art seem to be strong indicators.

At any rate, what are some other letters from fans who 'made good'? If possible, share a scan or pic of them, please. I know I'd like to acquire a Fantastic Four #20, for example, since that contains George R.R. Martin's first 'published work'.

Apologies if this has been done before, but the search engine doesn't like me, and I don't particularly like it either. :insane:

It's been done countless times, but it's worth doing again!

Drat, I was afraid of that.

Peter David

Kurt Busiek

Jim Shooter

Mark Evainer

are just a few that I know of off the top of my head.

I could have sworn I saw a Dave Cockrum fan letter in an early issue of X-Men, too.

There were several letter writers but I only remember these two. If I come across the issues I will scan them.

Bob Rozakis - I think he was a big LoSH LoC writer

Gerry Conway

Robin design by Norm Breyfogle - Later worked Batman with Alan Grant. From Batman Family 13

BF_13_NF.jpg

Roy Thomas's letters appeared in many comics before he started working in the field.

And here's an interesting illustration on a kid's page in a Magnus Robot Hunter (Gold Key) comic. Look at the lower right drawing...

MagnusSimonson.jpg

Roy Thomas's letters appeared in many comics before he started working in the field.

And here's an interesting illustration on a kid's page in a Magnus Robot Hunter (Gold Key) comic. Look at the lower right drawing...

MagnusSimonson.jpg

:applause:

I read a letter by Marnin Rosenberg. Just can't remember where...likely an Avengers or an FF issue.

hm

:signfunny:

True story. I even told him about it in NYC. He used to write a lot of letters...

I was flipping through a recent acquisition, a 'House of Mystery' #300, when a name at the bottom of a fan letter jumped out at me:

Think it's 'our' Todd McFarlane? The address and his focus on the art seem to be strong indicators.

At any rate, what are some other letters from fans who 'made good'? If possible, share a scan or pic of them, please. I know I'd like to acquire a Fantastic Four #20, for example, since that contains George R.R. Martin's first 'published work'.

Apologies if this has been done before, but the search engine doesn't like me, and I don't particularly like it either. :insane:

Nice find Beau!

:applause:

I read a letter by Marnin Rosenberg. Just can't remember where...likely an Avengers or an FF issue.

hm

:signfunny:

True story. I even told him about it in NYC. He used to write a lot of letters...

avengers140_letter.jpg

Avengers 140! (thumbs u

Also recently stumbled on a letters page with TWO famous fans with their letter published in the same book... it was late 60's/early 70's, maybe Avengers. One was Keith Pollard but I can't recall who the other one was. Will have to dig it out.

It's been done countless times, but it's worth doing again!

Peter David

Kurt Busiek

Jim Shooter

Mark Evainer

are just a few that I know of off the top of my head.

Tony Isabella

Frank Miller

Dave Cockrum (someone already got that one)

Buddy Saunders, owner of Lone Star Comics (in Avengers #3 I think).