• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Now-famous fans and their letters
1 1

69 posts in this topic

It's been done countless times, but it's worth doing again!

Drat, I was afraid of that.

Peter David

Kurt Busiek

Jim Shooter

Mark Evainer

are just a few that I know of off the top of my head.

I could have sworn I saw a Dave Cockrum fan letter in an early issue of X-Men, too.

He also had one in FF #44

Apparently McFarlane really liked HoM. I was reading HoM #302, and guess who popped up again in the letter column?

HoM302.jpg

P.S. For any McFarlane haters out there, don't get on his bad side. Apparently he had a 23-foot long Sabre-Tooth tiger back in '82, how big it is now is anybody's guess. :insane:

Tony Isabella

Frank Miller

Dave Cockrum (someone already got that one)

Buddy Saunders, owner of Lone Star Comics (in Avengers #3 I think).

Buddy's got letters in several:

Adventures of the Fly 23

Amazing Spider-Man 3, 8, 24

Atom 4, 6, 13

Fantastic Four 9

Mystery in Space 80, 82

Strange Adventures 145, 162

Superman's Girlfriend Lois Lane 37

Has anybody compiled a master list of notable letter column appearances? I'd like to set these up as a searchable field in our database.

Has anybody compiled a master list of notable letter column appearances? I'd like to set these up as a searchable field in our database.

That would be pretty sweet. "Fanboys made good!"

Not just limited to those who eventually found work in the industry, but also those who hit it big via other venues, like George R.R. Martin, who I mentioned earlier.

Mark Gruenwald was in an early FF, 19 I think.

There's also the letter in an AMAZING ADULT FANTASY supposedly from England and signed "Joan Boocock", i.e. Stan Lee's wife...

lol Probably a review of how great the writing was in AAF. Makes you wonder how many letters were simply made up...

As Stronguy said, BWS w3as already famous when he wrote to SIm in Cerebus. I could be wrong, but I think Gaiman also wrote into him, also famous. SIm is friends with those guys and more, and that was a book that those guys were reading at the time.

I was flipping through a recent acquisition, a 'House of Mystery' #300, when a name at the bottom of a fan letter jumped out at me:

Think it's 'our' Todd McFarlane? The address and his focus on the art seem to be strong indicators.

At any rate, what are some other letters from fans who 'made good'? If possible, share a scan or pic of them, please. I know I'd like to acquire a Fantastic Four #20, for example, since that contains George R.R. Martin's first 'published work'.

Apologies if this has been done before, but the search engine doesn't like me, and I don't particularly like it either. :insane:

Nice find Beau!

:applause:

In a very lengthy commentary in his audiobook "DreamSongs", George R.R. Martin speaks at great length about his youth as a comic collector and about early Fandom....he was VERY into it. I won't spoil it for you, but he did mention that it was the characterization in the early FF that had a profound effect on him and what would become his writing style. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Here's a couple of older ones. In the late 30's Tip Top Comics ran a monthly cartooning contest in which readers would send in their own cartoons and comic strips. The winners would have their work published in Tip Top each month. Two of the winners from those monthly contests, then only 13 or 14 years old, went on to greatness. (bottom and bottom left respectively)

Tip Top Comics 32 (Dec. 1938)

th_TipTop032fcsm.jpg

jackdavissm.jpg

Tip Top Comics 36, April 1939

th_tiptop36fcsm-1.jpg

Kurtzmansm.jpg

Here's a couple of older ones. In the late 30's Tip Top Comics ran a monthly cartooning contest in which readers would send in their own cartoons and comic strips. The winners would have their work published in Tip Top each month. Two of the winners from those monthly contests, then only 13 or 14 years old, went on to greatness. (bottom and bottom left respectively)

That is so amazing to find historic information like that. But looking at the other submitters, they definitely had some tough competition at that age.

Thanks for sharing!