• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Now-famous fans and their letters
1 1

69 posts in this topic

Here's a couple of older ones. In the late 30's Tip Top Comics ran a monthly cartooning contest in which readers would send in their own cartoons and comic strips. The winners would have their work published in Tip Top each month. Two of the winners from those monthly contests, then only 13 or 14 years old, went on to greatness. (bottom and bottom left respectively)

Tip Top Comics 32 (Dec. 1938)

th_TipTop032fcsm.jpg

jackdavissm.jpg

Tip Top Comics 36, April 1939

WOW.......GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

th_tiptop36fcsm-1.jpg

Kurtzmansm.jpg

Warren's had a few in the fan pages..

Creepy #6 Frank Brunner has a letter published in the fan page

Creepy #9 Berni Wrightson makes his comics debut with a pin-up showing a man being dragged into a grave by three ghouls. The tombstone in the foreground reads “Berni Wrightson Dec. 15, 1965”

Creepy #10 Frank Brunner makes his comic debut on the fan page with a nice skeleton bursting from a grave scene.

Creepy #13 Future artist Leslie Cabarga delivers a letter.

Creepy #14 Frank Brunner’s second appearance on the fan page depicts an ancient & vampiric Batman!

Creepy #18 Future comic writer Tony Isabella sends in a letter stating he “was less than wildly enthusiastic about Tom Sutton’s art while noting that he was a talented newcomer”.

Creepy #30 Future comic artist & publisher Bill Black makes his comics debut on the fan page

That's just the first 30 or so Creepys, there are plenty more in the other titles (Eerie, Famous Monsters, Vampirella).

Alan Weiss had a letter printed in Fantastic Four #3.

That issue also included a "fan" letter from a "S. Brodsky, Brooklyn" hm

Interesting that he was a fan since he also inked the issue! :insane:lol

FF#19 had a fan letter from Steve Gerber

I just recently noticed letters in Action #359 from Tony Isabella, Dave Cockrum, and Mark Evanier. Interesting that they were all in the same issue.

Isabella was talking in a panel and said back in the day, they would write a ton of regular and ghost letters to make it appear the book was being read or something to that degree.

Tony Isabella

Frank Miller

Dave Cockrum (someone already got that one)

Buddy Saunders, owner of Lone Star Comics (in Avengers #3 I think).

Buddy's got letters in several:

Adventures of the Fly 23

Amazing Spider-Man 3, 8, 24

Atom 4, 6, 13

Fantastic Four 9

Mystery in Space 80, 82

Strange Adventures 145, 162

Superman's Girlfriend Lois Lane 37

Has anybody compiled a master list of notable letter column appearances? I'd like to set these up as a searchable field in our database.

ASM 3... that's the one I remembered. He's also got one in Avengers 6.

As far as I know there is nowhere close to a good list. I used to not it when cataloging book but stopped after awhile.

Edited by Stronguy

Tony Isabella

Frank Miller

Dave Cockrum (someone already got that one)

Buddy Saunders, owner of Lone Star Comics (in Avengers #3 I think).

Buddy's got letters in several:

Adventures of the Fly 23

Amazing Spider-Man 3, 8, 24

Atom 4, 6, 13

Fantastic Four 9

Mystery in Space 80, 82

Strange Adventures 145, 162

Superman's Girlfriend Lois Lane 37

Has anybody compiled a master list of notable letter column appearances? I'd like to set these up as a searchable field in our database.

ASM 3... that's the one I remembered. He's also got one in Avengers 6.

As far as I know there is nowhere close to a good list. I used to not it when cataloging book but stopped after awhile.

I'd wager that the letter Buddy Saunders most remembers writing was the one in Mystery in Space 75....he won the original art to an entire Adam Strange story for that one. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Made a couple of discoveries...

I just cracked my BB 34 out of its tomb and read it for the first time, and was delighted to discover that it had a letter from Roy Thomas commenting on the prospect of DC resurrecting Hawkman. Apparently he had heard about it ahead of time. He suggested that they get Joe Kubert to draw it! I guess this was a foreshadowing of his editorial skills. :grin:

Second, I was reading a copy of Captain Action 5 (which by the way is one of the worst comics I've ever stumbled on) and it had letters by both Martin Pasko and Klaus Jansen.

I know this is an old thread but didn't want to start a new one for this. I was going through some books and ran across one of Roy Thomas' letters. This one is from JLA #33. What I thought was cool is that he must have taken over as the editor of Alter ego. Kind of a fun nostalgic read.

CGC does note the Thomas letter on slabbed copies.

roythomasletter.jpg

On 9/3/2009 at 11:40 PM, Real Frantic One said:

I just recently noticed letters in Action #359 from Tony Isabella, Dave Cockrum, and Mark Evanier. Interesting that they were all in the same issue.

Dont forget the letter in that same issue by Martin Pasko (aka "Pesky Pasko"). Cant remember who did what ,but between him and Evanier, one worked on the Garfield & Friends animated series and the other on Batman:Mask of the Phantasm. Also, one of Dave Sim's letters is in Superman #203(Feb.1968)

On 9/4/2009 at 7:44 AM, mycomicshop said:

I know I'm a little late to the party, but is your request still valid ?

Dave Micheline has a few letters published as well if I recall correctly. Went on to write several comics. Not sure what comics though. Added the two HOM’s that McFarlane had published letters in to my want list. I mean it’s pretty apparent he was heavily influenced by Kaluta.