• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sun bleaching?
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Hi,

Pretty sure we've all seen books that have sat in store windows and turned colors. I don't know what the specific term is in comic grading. How is that defined in grading? Aside from the obvious lack of eye appeal how does it affect the grade. Let's say that a book is otherwise a 9.0, what would it grade out at? I know it's nebulous and may have been covered before.

thanks,

Steven

The grade would greatly depend on just how bad the color fading is. If it is major. A 9.0 would become a 6.0 - 6.5 pretty easily. If the fading is minor. I would guess it would become a 7.0 - 7.5 book. IMHO The grade could also differ depending on what cover was affected. The FC would be the worst. The BC not as critical. But it would certainly take a pretty good hit grade wise. It's hard to judge. It would go on a book by book scenario.

i'm not sure but olivia munn has hypnotized me

She has a way of doing that...if only more women would dress up in fanboy costumes the world would be a better place...

TFL, thanks for the input. I guess it's more of an art than a science. I have a faded DD 1, I think I'll put it in the PGM section after work and see what the thoughts are on that. Maybe I'll get a better idea.

I flat out wouldn't buy it.

It's not just from the sun either, it's light exposure too. Florescent lights are the worst - like the ones found in cheap comic shops - they eat paper. Anyone who works in an office (think Joe vs. the Volcano) can see the rapid damage to all paper products, especially stuff with color. It will fade the lines out of ruled white note book paper in less than six months.

I cringe whenever I see books sitting out on shelves and walls in the comic man-cave photos - the light is eating those books up.

3 hours ago, h3rb2nkn1ght said:

do CGC slabs protect against light bleaching? curious if the grade can drop once its been slabbed.

No protection in the slab. Of course the grade can drop in the slab. The grade is a snapshot in time when the graders see the book. Environmental factors can lower the grade. Besides sunlight you have humidity, heat, trauma, etc.