• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CONAN THE BARBARIAN vs. THE CHIN ....... ooops, Jay strikes out

What's gonna happen?  

204 members have voted

1. 1. What's gonna happen?

29 posts in this topic

I thought I'd give Jay a shot and watched some of his show, flipping back and forth to watch the Buffalo Bills blow their game in the last 3 minutes.

The verdict ...... Conan's got nothing to worry about (and I think Conan is not funny at all).

Jay looked really lame out there and looks to have "lost a step". The monologue was quite boring considering he had 3 months to write it. His comedy skits weren't any better.

He does have the ability to attract big name guests ...... Seinfeld, Oprah, Obama, Jay-Z, Rhianna and Kanye West all in one night.

But I can't see this showing having a multi-year run.

In my opinion, the only guy on late night TV worth watching at all these days is Craig Ferguson. 2c

I agree I think Craig Ferguson is highly under rated. Some of both Jay and Conan's comedy is getting lamer than Letterman *snores*. Maybe that is why I don't sleep if I watched that kind of late night TV I'd be snoozing in no time!

Did Jay ask that insufficiently_thoughtful_person Kanye about his outburst last night?

yup

MAJOR kudos to Leno for FINALLY asking a hardball question and of all people to Kanye.

He talked to Kanye about having met his mother before she died and then asked, "What do you think your mother's reaction would have been to what happened last night?"

Kanye didn't say a word and completely froze up.

I never would have expected Leno to ask anything like that and I was glad he did.

Did Jay ask that insufficiently_thoughtful_person Kanye about his outburst last night?

yup

MAJOR kudos to Leno for FINALLY asking a hardball question and of all people to Kanye.

He talked to Kanye about having met his mother before she died and then asked, "What do you think your mother's reaction would have been to what happened last night?"

Kanye didn't say a word and completely froze up.

I never would have expected Leno to ask anything like that and I was glad he did.

That move show what a punk Kanye is.Beyonce showed how much class she had by inviting TS out to get her do.

I thought I'd give Jay a shot and watched some of his show, flipping back and forth to watch the Buffalo Bills blow their game in the last 3 minutes.

The verdict ...... Conan's got nothing to worry about (and I think Conan is not funny at all).

Jay looked really lame out there and looks to have "lost a step". The monologue was quite boring considering he had 3 months to write it. His comedy skits weren't any better.

He does have the ability to attract big name guests ...... Seinfeld, Oprah, Obama, Jay-Z, Rhianna and Kanye West all in one night.

But I can't see this showing having a multi-year run.

In my opinion, the only guy on late night TV worth watching at all these days is Craig Ferguson. 2c

I'm watching Craig Ferguson right now. Good stuff.

I'm watching Craig Ferguson right now. Good stuff.

I love Ferguson's DEAR AQUAMAN skits.

Finally television has recognized the lame-ness of the Aquaman character

lls_comedy_20090901.jpg

I was expecting something else, not a rehash of the Jay Leno Tonight Show. I was disappointed and I didn't find it all that funny. I had high hopes, but if the first show is an indicator of things to come, I may not be watching come October.

I was expecting something else, not a rehash of the Jay Leno Tonight Show. I was disappointed and I didn't find it all that funny.

+1

I think Jay has it in his mind that he can steal Conan's audience, trash him in the ratings, get Conan fired and get his old time slot back.

NBC should get rid of both of them and steal Craig Ferguson from CBS and put him head to head with Letterman

Of course Letterman is smart enough to own Ferguson's show, but his contract will eventually be up for renewal

I think Jay has it in his mind that he can steal Conan's audience, trash him in the ratings, get Conan fired and get his old time slot back.

I don't get it. You make it sounds like NBC forced Leno off the tonight show and relegated him to this new show in an earlier time slot.

Is that what really happened?

I don't get it. You make it sounds like NBC forced Leno off the tonight show and relegated him to this new show in an earlier time slot.

Is that what really happened?

Leno made the terrible mistake 5 years ago of bowing to pressure from NBC, when NBC were afraid they would lose Conan like they lost Letterman in that 1230 time slot years before.

So 5 years ago, Leno said he would do the Tonight Show for 5 more years and then retire, thinking he would have had enough by that time.

But Leno is a workaholic, he never takes a day off. He does stand-up when the rest of his crew gets holidays.

Flash forward 5 years and Leno really regrets making the commitment to retire. So he makes it known to NBC he might not retire after all. NBC compromises by giving him the 10 pm time slot, probably knowing he will fail in that time slot, but maintaining the NBC objective of keeping Conan (which I don't understand because he is the worst of them all).

Conan is terrific and more importantly Funny!

I hate Conan, how can anyone find this guy funny

It was reported today that Leno's ratings have nose-dived, he is in last place in his time slot (of the major networks)

Cancellation rumors are swirling

But it was also suggested he might use this to get out of the NBC contact and jump to ABC in his old time slot and go head to head with Conan