• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ogami's Shadow Gallery!

7,518 posts in this topic

ComicBookRoomRedo101.jpg

Sheetrock repair of wall that really didn't need demo-ing, but was done for exploration, and now has to be repaired, and in hindsight, probably could have been done with more foresight.

Demo cool ! Hook like smash sound demo make ! ;)

ComicBookRoomRedo074.jpg

Here is my main display wall. It is opposite the desk wall. The goal is to be able to display up to 24 comics on the three shelves. Since the breaker box is on the wall, I had to figure out a way to work around it without giving up too much prime space. Do you build around it, build on top of it, and if so, how? I chose to build the shelves, leaving space directly over the box for easy access. Then, I came back in and built a shelf that can quickly and easily be removed right over the box, but still look like it's part of the overall shelf.

Also, I noticed that I don't have any pics of the other two shelves that are on the wall facing the bathroom. You will see them in the final reveal.

Will you hurry up and give us our climax for cryin out loud?

There's only so much teasing a comic nerd can take. :frustrated:

Patience, Grandpa. :baiting:

How do you think I felt for three months? :cry:

Yellow and green are my two favorite colors, and have been since I was a wee nerd. (note the avatar) I knew I wanted those to be my colors in the room, but I also know that those colors can be a little childish. A bit too "primary". So, I started making choices. I used the recent Marvels Namor cover recreation as my color inspiration.

ComicBookRoomRedo099.jpg

ComicBookRoomRedo100.jpg

I wanted to paint the ceiling and get all traces of white out of the room. I chose the yellow, and shaded it down to a nice leathery yellow hued brown. (I gave fair warning this thread probably wouldn't be for everybody). :)

Finally, a thread I'll actually enjoy reading! Thanks, and give me some good ideas for my next house.

Right on, Vince. I read where you said you had an entire house to yourself. Oh, the things I could do, given more space.

I think you'll like some of the man elements of the room.

:gossip: it's Vaughn, but close enough.

I do have a house to myself, the problem is I move too often. It doesn't seem like it's worth it to create a high speed comic room if I'm just going to move again in two years. But once I retire...ooohhh man!

Out with the old light, in with the new.

ComicBookRoomRedo133.jpg

A nice burnished bronze.

I don't think I have pics of this either, but I moved all of the outlets down from 3 feet to the standard eighteen inches and patched the wall where they had been. I also had to move an outlet that was directly in the new door opening over four feet and create a box for it. The one on the desk wall, I left at 3 feet because it works perfectly as a back wall outlet at desk level.

Finally, a thread I'll actually enjoy reading! Thanks, and give me some good ideas for my next house.

Right on, Vince. I read where you said you had an entire house to yourself. Oh, the things I could do, given more space.

I think you'll like some of the man elements of the room.

:gossip: it's Vaughn, but close enough.

I do have a house to myself, the problem is I move too often. It doesn't seem like it's worth it to create a high speed comic room if I'm just going to move again in two years. But once I retire...ooohhh man!

doh! I knew that. Brain fart.

ComicBookRoomRedo072.jpg

The trim goes on, and I make my first real mistake in redoing the room. I used to sell paint, and have a lot of experience with color theory. I have told hundreds and hundreds of people the following, over the years:

"Never put Latex over Oil", and, ""Oil over everything". In other words, if you're going to put Latex paint over oil based paint, you have to prime, no matter what.

And I knew that the door and trim were oil based paint. And so I decided to ignore my own experiences and knowledge and paint the brown trim over all of the trim without priming. Trying to cut a corner and save a couple of hours cost me over 8 hrs of redoing, and frustration. (the paint popped right off, and had to be scraped and sanded clean)

I asked a buddy why I did it. Why did I ignore what I knew was wrong? Why did I do something I told hundreds of people never to do?

He said, "Cause you're a man."

And that's about all I have to say about that.

While I'm finishing up all the purtying up of the room, (ceiling, trim and walls painted, multiple coats, all shelving and desk stained and varnished. The desk has five coats of polyurethene) and touching up and waiting for things to dry, I know I need to be working on yet another project. I want a daybed in the room for reading, comfort, and just to have an extra bed in the house. I know that space is a premium, and I could also use more space for comic boxes, so I realise that since the wall that the bed will go on is narrow, and since I want it to be comic book specific, I'll have to build it.

So while I'm waiting on the paint to finish drying, I build a daybed.

ComicBookRoomRedo108.jpg