• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ogami's Shadow Gallery!

7,518 posts in this topic

ComicBookRoomRedo020.jpg

This is the initial stage of demolishing one wall.

A bit of understanding about the room. It is a 10x11 room that was originally accessed by the garage. It had an exterior metal door, complete with outside door lock that matched the other exterior doors. For all intents and purposes, it was a storage room in the garage. The outlets were placed at three feet high, instead of the standard 18 inches. The breaker box was located in the room, and the floor was left as bare concrete. The walls were finished sheetrock and the trim matched the rest of the house. We bought this house new, five years ago, and for most of that time, we used the room as storage, primarily my comic book stuff. Due to lack of air conditioning, and having to be accessed by going into the garage in order to enter it, it didn't get a lot of use, in terms of spending time in there. It wasn't a true "man cave". It was, "man storage".

One note about the temperature. The room maintains a very comfortable temperature, year round, I'd guess around 68-75, depending on the season. I have plans to tie it in to the central heating and air conditioniong system however, just as soon as I can stand to get into the attic for the day of installing the system. In other words, this Fall.

One note about the placement of the room. The room has one wall that is an exterior wall (the wall housing the breaker box). The wall with the metal door in place faces into the garage. The wall with the wood-based built-in faces the laundry room and hallway of the house. The wall that is being demolished faces the back wall of the Master Suite bathroom. I thought long and hard about this, and felt that putting in an interior door, thus allowing ease of entrance and a more polished appearance, making the room a true addition to the house, was the way to go. By placing the access into the Master Suite, I was in effect, adding space to the private living of the couple. So, if, we were to resell, the new owner would be gaining either a home office in their Master Suite, a massive, finished closet complete with built-ins, or, even a private access work out room!

ComicBookRoomRedo021.jpg

Another photo of the demolition.

Note that the pvc pipe you are seeing dictated the placement of the door. The pipe is the second floor drain pipe for the upstairs bathroom. There was no way that I was moving it, so I had to make the decision to go further to the right than I really wanted to to place the door.

Also, the builders made this wall a 6" wall, the same width as an exterior wall, or load bearing wall, so that made the placement of the doorframe and door much harder for me. I was really sad to see that it was 6" instead of the standard 4".

ComicBookRoomRedo101.jpg

Sheetrock repair of wall that really didn't need demo-ing, but was done for exploration, and now has to be repaired, and in hindsight, probably could have been done with more foresight.

I'm not sure how many pics I have of the actual door frame, so I'll just mention it here that the 6" frame and my jakeleg carpentry skills really challenged me on setting this door. I ended up using an additional molding kit and addtional framing and lots of spackling, mud, and caulking in order to get it to look presentable.

ComicBookRoomRedo068.jpg

This was the big construction part of the job. This was the wall with the brick and 1x6 book cases. I knew I wanted it to be my main focus wall with my TV, computer, all my toys, trades, books, dodaddies, etc. on it. So I built the following.

The desk is standard height and depth goes the entire length of the wall. (almost 8 feet). I used a 3/4" hardwood which stains well and has a nice smooth finish. The shelving is standard 1"x12" pine. Nothing fancy. All the cuts are straight, no router used on any of it. I did use a corner-round piece of molding for the front of the desk and I trimmed out the desk support, but the rest of the case is left square and plain. I really wanted to keep the look of this room utilitarian and manly. No curves, no round corners, no frills. Screw heads showing, plain design, cubelike. rawr.

What sort of devil music did you play on that thar radio?

I like a bit of all of it, but it's easiest just to turn on a station and let it ride. I know they catch grief because they are the USA Today of pop music, but I actually like just listening to Jack FM. Classic Pop, 1970's-now.

ComicBookRoomRedo134.jpg

Still part of the main construction, the one thing I knew I wanted was narrow shelving to show off my books!

In my first comic book room, circa aged 15 in the late eighties, I used the old tack in the wall, clip on the board trick. Somewhere along the way, I determined that narrow shelving for displaying comics and toys was the least intrusive, safest, most palatable way to go. (for me, at least).

That's why I went with the white shelving in my last room. It's one of the things I love to see in other's rooms.

These three shelves are to utilize what would otherwise be dead wall space in front of the desk. Space is a premium in this small room.