• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bad transaction between me and Forum member GreatEscape

308 posts in this topic

Andy, aka goldust40 here - most of you know me on this Forum as I have been a regular contributor here over the last six years and have met or transacted with many of you, either at Conventions or online. It wouldn't be wrong to state that I am an established and long-standing member of this Forum, and that my track record and reputation here backs this up completely.

This post is basically a heads-up as there has been no communication from the seller for quite some time.

Regrettable as this may be, I am forced to detail a transaction that took place between myself and another established Forumite that was so less than satisfactory that I believe it is necessary to bring it to the attention of the Forum.

In April, I bought via an auction held on ebay, a Sub-Mariner 2 for $1250 from stars-and-stripes, aka Dino Mauricio aka GreatEscape on this Forum. I specifically bid on this auction because I was aware of GreatEscape's favorable reputation from the CGC Forum. As I had never dealt with him before, had I not known of his CGC reputation I would not have bid on the book. The book was listed as a VG/FN (5.0)with nice off-white pages. The book arrives, and although it generally has a decent appearance, it has two large spine splits that affect all the pages to the centerfold, and more significantly, tan if not brown pages that I consider to be bordering on brittle.

After emailing stars-and-stripes to let him know that I am very dissatisfied with the book, he states that he will not accept a return, but will offer it to the underbidder on my behalf. Such an arrangement would set me back about $160, so I decline this option. He then offers me a partial refund of $180 that I accept, with the proviso that if it comes back from CGC with tan or worse pages, that I would be entitled to a refund on the balance owed (about $1070). He agrees to this.

About three weeks ago the book arrives back from CGC with a disappointing grade of 2.5 and, even worse, with brittle pages. I then alert stars-and-stripes/GreatEscape about this, but he states in several separate emails that he will definitely not refund my money or accept a return, due to a) current financial difficulties he has experienced because of a family matter, b) that grading is subjective and not a valid reason for returning the book and c) that such disagreements are commonplace, and that I am being completely unreasonable and unfair for asking to return the book for a refund.

In one email he goes on to say that he is an honorable and upstanding member of the Forum who has been charitable on many occasions. Prior to this experience, I probably would have agreed, but I simply cannot view his current conduct as being anything less than inappropriate, unprofessional and unreasonable. I did not reach the decision to go public lightly or without serious thought, but in many ways this Forum and its members are viewed as a family and we try our best to look out for each other. Therefore, I found it necessary to take this step and inform other Forum members of the very negative experience I have suffered at the hands of GreatEscape.

Please note that this is the only transaction I have ever made with a Forumite that I was dissatisfied with, and that I have bought from Forum members countless times both on the Marketplace and ebay over the last six years.

In closing, I also want everyone to know that I made numerous efforts to communicate with Dino to try and reasonably resolve this dispute. I even sent him the text of this very post in advance in the hope that he would be willing to understand the concerns I held regarding this transaction and that he had an obligation to make good on his promises. If we could have worked this out I would never have said anything and I have created this thread only after exhausting my good-faith efforts. If anyone feels I have mishandled this situation or I am being unreasonable, I would welcome receiving your thoughts.

goldust.

In closing, I also want everyone to know that I made numerous efforts to communicate with Dino to try and reasonably resolve this dispute. I even sent him the text of this very post in advance in the hope that he would be willing to understand the concerns I held regarding this transaction and that he had an obligation to make good on his promises.
(worship)

If the buyer wants to return the book for a full refund (within a sensible time frame) the answer is always YES!

Bad luck on the bad deal :(

(thumbs u

Sorry to hear the bad Andy. :(

Thanks mate. First time something like this has happened with a Forumite.....

The difference between a '5.0' and a 2.5 is...'subjective'? :o

Perhaps in Bizarro World... :screwy:

Agreed, far beyond subjective. A seller should also disclose brittle pages when selling a book like this.

I have dealt with Dino and was very happy and I met and liked Andy so I have no horse in this race.

If the buyer wants to return the book for a full refund (within a sensible time frame) the answer is always YES!

BINGO. This can't be repeated enough.

I'm surpised it got a 2.5 with the splits you describe. The price adjustment was far too small. How is CGC supposed to give it anything but BRITTLE pages with splits of all the wraps, top and bottom, to prove it? How "large" were they?

Hindsight is 20/20, but the CGC arrangement was doomed to fail. A full refund and return was the only recourse you should have accepted. If there was no return policy to begin with, you never should have bought the thing in the first place - not even from your mother. Respected forumite means very little, and I consider myself part of that group.

Not putting blame on you, trying to hold this up as an object lesson for others to learn from.

And this is particular...

'he states in several separate emails that he will definitely not refund my money or accept a return, due to a) current financial difficulties he has experienced because of a family matter'

...is appalling. It has zero to do with Andy what his personal circumstances are and doesn't alter the fact that he has screwed his buyer over.

Now, I know Andy and I also know that if the seller had explained temporary financial difficulties, Andy would have been understanding enough to work with him on some sort of payment plan.

I'm surpised it got a 2.5 with the splits you describe. The price adjustment was far too small. How is CGC supposed to give it anything but BRITTLE pages with splits of all the wraps, top and bottom, to prove it? How "large" were they?

Hindsight is 20/20, but the CGC arrangement was doomed to fail. A full refund and return was the only recourse you should have accepted. If there was no return policy to begin with, you never should have bought the thing in the first place - not even from your mother. Respected forumite means very little, and I consider myself part of that group.

Not putting blame on you, trying to hold this up as an object lesson for others to learn from.

The splits are about an inch and a half each. The splits may not necessarily have been evidence of the brittleness, which was a general defect with the interior pages, in my opinion.

And I agree that this is an object lesson, although one shouldn't expect such conduct from someone who claims to have such a positive profile on the Forum.