• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bad transaction between me and Forum member GreatEscape

308 posts in this topic

I'm surpised it got a 2.5 with the splits you describe. The price adjustment was far too small. How is CGC supposed to give it anything but BRITTLE pages with splits of all the wraps, top and bottom, to prove it? How "large" were they?

Hindsight is 20/20, but the CGC arrangement was doomed to fail. A full refund and return was the only recourse you should have accepted. If there was no return policy to begin with, you never should have bought the thing in the first place - not even from your mother. Respected forumite means very little, and I consider myself part of that group.

Not putting blame on you, trying to hold this up as an object lesson for others to learn from.

The splits are about an inch and a half each. The splits may not necessarily have been evidence of the brittleness, which was a general defect with the interior pages, in my opinion.

And I agree that this is an object lesson, although one shouldn't expect such conduct from someone who claims to have such a positive profile on the Forum.

So the spine and wraps are just a little less than half-split, 3 inches out of 8? This is a Fair/Good on my grading scale. Can't wait to see it, it must have some terrific eye appeal to get a 2.5.

Someone could have cut the spine with a scissor along the fold for an inch and a half on the top and bottom, but other than that, that kind of wear means the paper is no longer very supple... :grin: I suppose repeated opening and closing wear could have created the splits as well, without necessarily being brittle, so I hear ya.

I was gonna say...no way is this even in the realm of VG/FN...that's 2.5 and below territory...sorry to hear about this Andy...I could never tolerate myself if I even had ONE effed up transaction like this in my lifetime! :sumo:

Has a scan of the book in question been posted?

Just wondering if it actually looks like a VGF and was killed grade wise due to brittle pages...

This sounds like a mess. :sorry:

If the buyer wants to return the book for a full refund (within a sensible time frame) the answer is always YES!

BINGO. This can't be repeated enough.

BINGO. This can't be repeated enough.

Bingo. You should receive a full refund. Describing the book as VG/NF with nice off-white pages, when in fact it has brittle pages, is shady. I cannot believe he would jeopardize his reputation over this.

Wow. Terribly sorry to hear that Andy. I had an experience on Ebay recently where the PQ was off, but not brittle. I emailed the guy about it and he said keep the book and I'll refund all the cash! A far cry from GE's behavior here.

It also bears repeating that SOME aspects of grading are subjective. Brittleness is not, nor is a 2.5 grade difference (really more, sounds like CGC was lax there).

Has a scan of the book in question been posted?

Just wondering if it actually looks like a VGF and was killed grade wise due to brittle pages...

Even if the pages were not brittle, a book with a spine split going through the spine to the centerfold will never grade 5.0, 3.0 tops as it is a major defect.

In closing, I also want everyone to know that I made numerous efforts to communicate with Dino to try and reasonably resolve this dispute. I even sent him the text of this very post in advance in the hope that he would be willing to understand the concerns I held regarding this transaction and that he had an obligation to make good on his promises. If we could have worked this out I would never have said anything and I have created this thread only after exhausting my good-faith efforts. If anyone feels I have mishandled this situation or I am being unreasonable, I would welcome receiving your thoughts.

goldust.

I feel bad for you but this is a far cry from being over. Try calling your Attorney General and tell them you are the victim of a not as described/ fraudulent sale. Unlike a credit card issuer there isn't a set date from the purchase time as to when your obligated to file charges.

Be honest and give them all of the details of the situation, then sit back and let them handle the rest.

---

In closing, I also want everyone to know that I made numerous efforts to communicate with Dino to try and reasonably resolve this dispute. I even sent him the text of this very post in advance in the hope that he would be willing to understand the concerns I held regarding this transaction and that he had an obligation to make good on his promises. If we could have worked this out I would never have said anything and I have created this thread only after exhausting my good-faith efforts. If anyone feels I have mishandled this situation or I am being unreasonable, I would welcome receiving your thoughts.

goldust.

I feel bad for you but this is a far cry from being over. Try calling your Attorney General and tell them you are the victim of a not as described/ fraudulent sale. Unlike a credit card issuer there isn't a set date from the purchase time as to when your obligated to file charges.

Be honest and give them all of the details of the situation, then sit back and let them handle the rest.

---

Since Andy lives in Great Britain, not exactly an easy option.

Compound that with the fact that the AG's office ain't exactly jumpin' to handle this type of transaction where it isn't exactly clear cut (from their point of view).

I'm sorry, Andy...I wonder how he came up with the original amount?

The book still has some value, perhaps offer to sell it on Ebay and have him refund the difference. If there are family problems, perhaps he's not reading mail right now, but could at least substitute a comparable book for the difference if money is an issue.

I have met Dino and he seemed very nice, hopefully, he's just been stressed and will answer after seeing this thread..

That's a real drag, Andy. I think it ought to be SOP that anybody who sells raw on these boards offer a money-back guarantee. Reputation means so much, especially in a tight community like this.

I agree. And not get all bent out of shape if their grading is questioned. Grading is subjective and right now, only CGC is the real, final authority.

I'm shocked and disappointed to read this. :(

My impression of Andy has always been that he's a reasonable guy. I feel certain that if Dino will start communication again, the two of them will be able to work out a solution (time payments, other GA books as payment, etc etc). I'm sure there's a way...

Hoping that Dino will step up. :wishluck:

To be fair, we haven't heard from Dino, perhaps he has something to add.

Unless Andy's been telling blatant lies(which I'm sure that no one believes) then I'm not sure what GE can add to make himself sound justified. (shrug)