• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic deterioration: Can it be slowed down? What accelerates it?

20 posts in this topic

I am not sure if this is the correct forum for posting it, but it seems most relevant to golden-age comics.

I currently keep my old comics sealed in mylar (polyester) sleeves and use acid-free backings. This is supposed to reduce the air exposure and limit the breakdown of glues and inks in the paper pulp. (I don't understand the chemistry of this, and if anybody would care to explain it, I'm interested.) Obviously I also keep these comics in a cool, dry place.

Are there any additional methods for slowing down deterioration?

I am specifically curious about the conditions for storage. For example, is it beneficial to put a box or boxes of baking soda in the same place where the comics are stored? Or will baking soda dry out the paper?

Another question: Is a cedar chest good or bad for comics? Does cedar wood have any acids or other qualities that could be detrimental to the condition of the paper?

Short of a hermetically sealed, stainless-steel vault, what is the best possible way to store your old comics to maintain condition?

For a short time (weeks) I stored my more valuable books in a small lock safe. I had just started collecting comics after a 25 yr break, and just joined the boards. There is a thread somewhere about safes and airtight storage in general causing accumulation of moisture with temperature changes that can cause rusting of the staples. Some members posted pretty gruesome pictures of the end result, including a formerly high grade Hulk 181 that developed severe rust on the staples with migration of the rust. I just searched for the thread but could not find it, but I would definitely not store books in an airtight environment unless you have excellent humidity and temperature control.

I have heard that all woods give off emissions that over time may accelerate the decay of paper, especially particle board or wood that has been painted or stained. I keep my books in metal filing cabinets and a safe deposit box at the bank which is not air tight. Do not store books for a long period of time in a small safe as rust will be a problem. Mylars with acid free backing boards are best. Bill Cole makes a product called Life Extender Plus which is a sheet of coated paper that is placed inside the book and is supposed to virtually stop the paper from deteriorating.

Ken

I spoke to Tracey Heft about this. He mentioned two things that were the worst for long term storage.

Temperature change and humidity change.

He told me that it was worse for paper to change temperature and humidity constantly than it was to be stored for a longer period of time at the *wrong* temperature and humidity...within reason of course...I wasn't talking about extremes.

Also, I do know from FFB's posts that some sort of deacidification whether it is an alkalyne spray or extra intra-leaving paper within the pages of the book is a good thing.

There are so many posts on this subject that just a simple search using words like deacidify, alkalyne and acidic will likely find you days worth of reading material.

Remember to set your *time* criteria and limit your forum search to the CGC section and you should find lots.

R.

I heard that some of the Church copies were stored around cedar...I don't know if this was a closet or a chest. I think cedar helps doesn't it?

Isn't cedar used to keep moths away? I believe there is something in the wood that deters bugs.

I have heard that all woods give off emissions that over time may accelerate the decay of paper, especially particle board or wood that has been painted or stained. I keep my books in metal filing cabinets and a safe deposit box at the bank which is not air tight. Do not store books for a long period of time in a small safe as rust will be a problem. Mylars with acid free backing boards are best. Bill Cole makes a product called Life Extender Plus which is a sheet of coated paper that is placed inside the book and is supposed to virtually stop the paper from deteriorating.

Ken

Thanks Ken, and everybody else, for the responses. The "life extender" product sounds interesting, I'll have to look that up.

I've had many of my comics in a cedar chest for the past year, and it occurred to me that this might cause problems, so I thought I would ask.

Luckily for those of us in Alberta, the cooler, drier climate keeps works well for preserving paper goods. I have also had good luck with bone white pages on OO collections from Minnesota and Los Angeles (they were stored in an air conditioned office/storage room).

What about safe deposit boxes at banks. Are they safe for long term storage?

Depends on the bank, most are climate controlled 24/7, but some are not. Best to inquire.

And regarding the OP question, aside from different types of micro chamber paper you can also buy various de acidification sprays which neutralize harmful off gassing that degrade paper. It is not overly cost effective to use on all your books, but you can spray the interiors of your more valuable books if long term paper quality is a concern.

But be aware some of the products you can over spray and leave behind a visible a residue. It does not hurt the book, just is an eyesore, and to never spray the cover, spray interiors only.

. (I don't understand the chemistry of this, and if anybody would care to explain it, I'm interested.)

A basic explanation from the LOC .

Answers are found in the composition of paper, the causes of its deterioration, and the conditions under which it is stored.

# fibers made of cellulose chains degrade when exposed to an acidic environment in the presence of moisture. In this acid hydrolysis reaction, cellulose chains are repeatedly split into smaller fragments so long as the source of acid remains in paper. This acid hydrolysis reaction produces more acid in the process, and the degradation accelerates in a downward spiral.

# The longer the cellulose chains that comprise paper, the stronger and more supple the paper. This type of paper is also more able to withstand degradation by acids and other abuse without showing visible signs of wear and tear. Conversely, the shortest fibers are the most vulnerable.

The shortest fibers are found in newsprint papers made from groundwood pulps; this pulp is made by the mechanical grinding of wood that is then made into paper without first purifying it chemically. Papers made by this process are substantially weaker than those made of chemically purified wood pulp, which is used to make the fine printing and writing papers that we often see in books.

I'll just add an anecdote, having inadvertantly done an experiment in keeping books in poor storage conditions.

I found a box of books dating from 1980-85 (Marvels, Dark Horse, Fantagraphics) I'd forgotten about tucked up the back of my garage, which has no climate control, a bare concrete floor and no internal lining. In short, the books went through a temperature range of -10 to 40 (celsius) each year for quarter of a century and were subject to whatever humidity was in the air. They were protected only by polybags. :eek:

I expected at the very least to see significant yellowing of the pages but there was none to be seen. Without exception the pages are white, and strikingly so. All of the books retain their original gloss. The only problems I could find was some surface rust on the staples in the Fantagraphics books (but none of the others). Some other papers in the box that were not in plastic had aged badly with the browning I expected to see.

I find this really surprising, but I still wouldn't recommend it as a storage solution!

What about safe deposit boxes at banks. Are they safe for long term storage?

As Ze-man suggested, ask about climate controls.

Be careful when storing in safety deposit box. I used to have a safety deposit box. During one visit, noticed a small spot of rust on box. I decided to close the box. Never asked whether vault was climate controlled.

Could silica gel packs be used in the box to remove mositure as a precaution? Are they comic safe?

I find that taking showers with my comics are not very good for them...

baking at anything over 450 degrees also seems to be bad...

but just cuddling up by a cozy fire, shouldn't hurt them too bad (thumbs u

The subconsciously triggered radiesthesiatic mind rays or Psionic/Psi Bolts emitting from your eyes can further accelerate the deterioration of your book. Wearing tinfoil seems to help but even better is to never look directly at your comics but rather to view them from an askew angle (say 90 degrees). However the best course of action is to never look at your comics at all. That way you can enjoy them throughout eternity.

Dr. B.Flush

MIT,ICU,MOUSE

Read what the late great Ernst Gerber wrote about comic book preservation in his comic book journal guide. Keep your books in a cool, dry and dark environment will dramatically slow down books from aging. Thats how the Church books were stored in his cool dark basement in Denver. I don't even think they were stored in comic bags, so I guess there must not be any problems in Denver with silverfish, cause I know here in southern California, silverfish will gobble up my books if I don't totally seal them up! E