• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Hitler And Axis Covers Comics Do You Have?
11 11

1,133 posts in this topic

Despite what the CGC label says, that’s NOT Hirohito on the cover of Batman #18 (8-9/43) above. That’s General TOJO, leader of the Imperial Japanese Army {IJA) and Prime Minister of Japan (1941-1944) during most of World War II.

Hideki Tojo (1884-1948), with his close-cropped hair, mustache, and round spectacles, became for Allied propagandists one of the most commonly caricatured members of Japan’s military dictatorship throughout war in the Pacific.

Gino-that Marvel Mystery 46...awesome! I love how even before "horror" was a separate genre in comics, there were horror elements in a lot of the superhero books. That zombie Hitler with a skeleton army really does the trick-nice looking copy.

Despite what the CGC label says, that’s NOT Hirohito on the cover of Batman #18 (8-9/43) above. That’s General TOJO, leader of the Imperial Japanese Army {IJA) and Prime Minister of Japan (1941-1944) during most of World War II.

Hideki Tojo (1884-1948), with his close-cropped hair, mustache, and round spectacles, became for Allied propagandists one of the most commonly caricatured members of Japan’s military dictatorship throughout war in the Pacific.

I think we've had this discussion before and you are probably correct. It is a little tricky, though, because Hirohito also wore glasses and sometimes wore a military uniform. The cover to America's Best 11 shows both and they are depicted in very similar ways. Schomburg had to attach names to their uniforms to distinguish them!

Hirohito was also well known to the U.S. public and was singled out in a lot of U.S. propaganda. The strong implication in that propaganda that Hirohito authorized--or at least approved of--wartime atrocities, made the Allied decision to agree to his retaining his position at the end of the war somewhat controversial with much of the U.S. public.

So some artists may have seen themselves as drawing Tojo and others may have seen themselves as drawing Hirohito. I'm not sure we can figure out which covers show one and which the other ... unless I'm overlooking some way of distinguishing them.

The cornerstone of War is to dehumanize the Enemy. Dr. Seuss drew Emperor Hirohito's nose as a snout in his wartime cartoons.

Now that I look at that cover of Batman #18 (8-9/43) again, I think that the artist may indeed have intended the caricature to be Hirohito.

Thanks gents!! Great stuff as always RM those are some really neat books. 4 Winners there and thanks for sharin Americas Best T I hadn't taken close notice to that one before!! That's what I need another publisher to go after hahaha!!

I used to own the Okajima copy of that book. Should've kept that one.

Now that would be a book to have!

Not to make you feel worse about selling it! :D

I used to own the Okajima copy of that book. Should've kept that one.

Now that would be a book to have!

Not to make you feel worse about selling it! :D

too late