• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Favorite Archie Covers
6 6

1,558 posts in this topic

That's a nice copy of Archie #2 Shawn! I've only ever seen one better and unfortunately, it's not my copy frown.gif

I really love the covers to Archie 11 and 13. Thanks for posting them! The Pep 47 is great too. Let's face it, I like them all cloud9.gif

That's a nice copy of Archie #2 Shawn! I've only ever seen one better and unfortunately, it's not my copy frown.gif

I really love the covers to Archie 11 and 13. Thanks for posting them! The Pep 47 is great too. Let's face it, I like them all cloud9.gif

That was my copy of Archie #2, until I sold them all in November! I have about 10 golden age MLJ books left, and I'm going to get a couple of thousand dollars worth next month, including the elusive Zip #34 and another Pep #27.

Shawn

Great thread!!!!! I too am a huge Samm Schwartz fan - he's my favorite Archie illustrator. Dan DeCarlo may be slightly more synonymous with Archie and the gang, but Schwartz' artwork is a bit more stylized to me...

I'll try to dig out some Archies and scan 'em... the most interesting stuff is prettied buried, tho...

Don't forget Harry Lucey. As far as I'm concerned Lucey and Schwartz are the big 2 silver age Archie artists. I like Decarlo, too, but I just don't think he was quite in their class as an Archie artist. Actually, I think Decarlo's best work was in '50s Marvels (Millie the Model, etc.)

That was my copy of Archie #2, until I sold them all in November! I have about 10 golden age MLJ books left, and I'm going to get a couple of thousand dollars worth next month, including the elusive Zip #34 and another Pep #27.

Shawn

Extremely surprised to hear that you've sold off virtually all of your MLJ books. How many did you have to start with? I assume the 10 which you have left are either key copies or high grade copies. Must have been a hard decision on your part to sell them off.