• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Tick Appreciation Thread
7 7

2,264 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, Brian Bollinger said:

There was a lot to see and do at SDCC 2019... but there was no Ben Edlund.  :-(  I did manage to get this sketch from Billy Tucci.  His booth was next to the NEC booth.

IMG_0922.jpeg

Salivating here!  Chi and The Tick..did you get them CGC'd?

7 hours ago, PeasOfCrap said:

Congrats on the sketch!  Did you miss Ben or was he not at SDCC?  :(

Ben didnt make it this year to the SDCC.  I betcha he's working on some new fantastic project or maybe he took the family on a really nice and well deserved vacation.  The SDCC was a mad house this year.  Of the dozens of things I wanted to get done this year, I think I accomplished 6.  It's like Disneyland over there...a whole bunch of rides, long lines, and theyve outgrown their place.  Maybe they'll move it to Texas, where everything is bigger?  

3 minutes ago, vsndesigns said:

Ben didnt make it this year to the SDCC.  I betcha he's working on some new fantastic project or maybe he took the family on a really nice and well deserved vacation.  The SDCC was a mad house this year.  Of the dozens of things I wanted to get done this year, I think I accomplished 6.  It's like Disneyland over there...a whole bunch of rides, long lines, and theyve outgrown their place.  Maybe they'll move it to Texas, where everything is bigger?  

HA  HAHA HAHAHA hm :wishluck:lol 

i'm just wondering when we'll get onsite grading here in Texas ....

19 hours ago, vsndesigns said:

Here's a pic of me and Ian...and before you ask...he's not selling his original pencil sketch shown here on the right.  And the production one was already snatched up by another Tick Fan.  I brought my color Tick cell just in case Ben decided to show up ☝

20190721_131635.jpg

Got to chat with Bob Polio and we talked about the infamous Golden Rod No. 1 Ashcan Edition Production Copy and it's mysterious whereabouts...of which I am clueless...mostly.

On 7/24/2019 at 7:46 PM, vsndesigns said:

I hear ya!  I have not been to SDCC but when I go to a big show, I have a list of things to do which goes out the window once I step on the show floor because of the chaos.  Its a wonder I get anything accomplished.  The biggest hurdle its that all the scheduled stuff I want to do are overlapped. 

17 hours ago, vsndesigns said:

Got to chat with Bob Polio and we talked about the infamous Golden Rod No. 1 Ashcan Edition Production Copy and it's mysterious whereabouts...of which I am clueless...mostly.

Bob keeps hanging a carrot in front of me about what he has and doesn't have.  Who knows what good china he actually has tucked away.  Does the Ashcan 1 Production actually exist?

9 hours ago, PeasOfCrap said:

Bob keeps hanging a carrot in front of me about what he has and doesn't have.  Who knows what good china he actually has tucked away.  Does the Ashcan 1 Production actually exist?

Actually 3...I thought eh hem...you had one?  Course I can't remember where I heard that from and sometimes I get things mixed up.  Let me see...Bob told me that he had one, Ben has one and rats...I forget...I have to ask Kelly again.  One thing...everyone has their version of what they consider The Holy Grail of The Tick Collection...mine is probably a little more different than what everyone else's is.  Care to take a guess what I think is the Holy Grail of The Tick Collection?

2 hours ago, vsndesigns said:

Actually 3...I thought eh hem...you had one?  Course I can't remember where I heard that from and sometimes I get things mixed up.  Let me see...Bob told me that he had one, Ben has one and rats...I forget...I have to ask Kelly again.  One thing...everyone has their version of what they consider The Holy Grail of The Tick Collection...mine is probably a little more different than what everyone else's is.  Care to take a guess what I think is the Holy Grail of The Tick Collection?

Ah, I see.  I thought you were talking about a Gold #1 Ashcan which included editing and scribbles.   Do you remember the #2 with notes in red that popped up on eBay a few years ago from the record dealer in the NE?   I HAD a Gold #1 Ashcan but no longer.  It was pretty much temporary housing until I let it go a few years ago.  I don't think Kelly has one and funny, he just sent me a message about Tick stuff earlier this evening. 

I thought my Holy Grail was the Uncut #2 9.8, which I had, then it was the Gold #1 but that left.  For me, I do not think I could ever let go of a Edlund cover from the original run.  I know pipe dream.  I am kicking myself though, I had the opportunity years ago to buy the back cover of #4 (i think it was 4) with Oedipus' mom.  It was some strange auction I came across but I ended up passing because it was not an Edlund. 

Vic, with your eclectic collection, I can't image what your Holy Grail would be.  Anyone remember when one of the Tick suits came up on eBay?  It was from the original live action show.

3 hours ago, PeasOfCrap said:

Ah, I see.  I thought you were talking about a Gold #1 Ashcan which included editing and scribbles.   Do you remember the #2 with notes in red that popped up on eBay a few years ago from the record dealer in the NE?   I HAD a Gold #1 Ashcan but no longer.  It was pretty much temporary housing until I let it go a few years ago.  I don't think Kelly has one and funny, he just sent me a message about Tick stuff earlier this evening. 

I thought my Holy Grail was the Uncut #2 9.8, which I had, then it was the Gold #1 but that left.  For me, I do not think I could ever let go of a Edlund cover from the original run.  I know pipe dream.  I am kicking myself though, I had the opportunity years ago to buy the back cover of #4 (i think it was 4) with Oedipus' mom.  It was some strange auction I came across but I ended up passing because it was not an Edlund. 

Vic, with your eclectic collection, I can't image what your Holy Grail would be.  Anyone remember when one of the Tick suits came up on eBay?  It was from the original live action show.

Well, let's see.  The Original Cowling came up on ebay a few years back ago.  I got to chat with the guy who bought it at an estate sale.  He listed it up on ebay as a latex superhero mask...someone told him, that it was The Tick.  He was absolutely thrilled when it sold for such a high price, he was surprised that it sold for more than 50 bucks!  I thought I had the bid at 350.00 but alas it slipped out from under my keyboard in a hot second.  The guy who told me more about the history of the mask was none other than Paul Salomoff, who worked on The Tick Series back then with Patrick Walburton.  But that's still not my Holy Grail...mine is still...The Micro Machine prototypes and playsets which I am guessing that Whitey will never ever ever sell.  The Golden Rod #2 Special Edition complete with red marks from George Suarez and Bob Polio is temporarily out of my hands as I had it permanently sealed at the SDCC 2019 with Bob Polio witness autographed by CGC.  i'm gonna miss showing off the red marks...  I did get to chat a little with the guy from the History Channel In Search of Toys Show and Collectibles and he is the proud owner of the Prototype Illustrations of the line of toys that were never built, I suppose he's in no rush to parting with those.  Brian here has been endowed with the 1st Place Crown for The Ben Edlund Original Registry King of Comics...and he has allowed me to maintain my feable hold on the 1st Place position of the rest  ((((waving at Brian))))...btw...it was a lot of fun hanging out with Brian on the West coast!  I still have to go hound Captain Logan of Geekvolution for a scan of his Publication of The Micro Machine Advertisement, but alas, thank goodness for the things we have, and for the challanges that keep us going.  Here's to the Completist, that exist here at the CGC.  Vic out.

I really fell behind in photographing my Tick stuff.  I'll need to get back to it!  I can't believe I probably have only filmed just 50% of all of my Tick stuff.  Just it seems life has been so ultra busy for the past 3 years for which I am blessed...but in the meantime...real quick, before I can do it some justice, here's the original pencil sketch of Ian Nichol's The Tick and Usagi Yojimbo (Stan Sakai)...hey, I was born the year of the Rabbit!...for your viewing pleasure. 

JPEG_20190725_224637.jpg

On 7/8/2018 at 11:36 PM, Brian Bollinger said:

2054286480_WantedComicConIssues.thumb.jpg.7a189c02540613f6b3ae784c73a71a76.jpg

1) I'll be at SDCC this year.  (It's my first Comic Con!)  Does anyone have any of the above comics they would be willing to sell.  I could get them from you at the con if you're going to be there (or via mail if you're not)

2) If anyone has a Tick want list let me know.  I can go through my collection to look for dups I am willing to part with.  (again, we could meet at SCDD or I could mail them)

3) For those attending... Anyone interested in trying to have a Tick fan meet up?

Excited that I stumbled across this thread, there really ARE others out there like me!

If anyone has an extra 2015 SDCC exclusive edition (pictured in top right of Brian’s post) they’d be willing to part with, please reply here or via DM.

Thanks!

On 8/7/2019 at 6:43 PM, cjdapd said:

Excited that I stumbled across this thread, there really ARE others out there like me!

If anyone has an extra 2015 SDCC exclusive edition (pictured in top right of Brian’s post) they’d be willing to part with, please reply here or via DM.

Thanks!

Welcome to collecting Tick comic books!  It turns out that the first image (??? 2007) was never an official comic book cover. Someone got a hold of a pre-production mock-up image of what the comic book might be like.  I'm assuming it came from NEC.  The actual cover released is the one I show here.  The middle comic was limited to a printing of 200.  The comic you're looking for was limited to 250.  They show up on eBay once in a while.  That's probably one of the best places to keep your eyes on.  I don't have one to spare at the moment but if I come across one I'll let you know.  Another forum member was willing to part with the original cover art for that comic so I'm exited to have it in my collection.

2007a_lg.jpg

4 hours ago, Brian Bollinger said:

Welcome to collecting Tick comic books!  It turns out that the first image (??? 2007) was never an official comic book cover. Someone got a hold of a pre-production mock-up image of what the comic book might be like.  I'm assuming it came from NEC.  The actual cover released is the one I show here.  The middle comic was limited to a printing of 200.  The comic you're looking for was limited to 250.  They show up on eBay once in a while.  That's probably one of the best places to keep your eyes on.  I don't have one to spare at the moment but if I come across one I'll let you know.  Another forum member was willing to part with the original cover art for that comic so I'm exited to have it in my collection.

2007a_lg.jpg

Love that Sean Wang cover!  http://www.seanwang.com/comics_tick_cov_color/  And of course the infamous Wikipedia page....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tick_(comics)

I'm gonna do a framed art piece built from a CGC 9.8 graded Tick cover, the original production artwork for the cover, the pencil sketch original of one of the inside pages and the book itself turned to that page.  Hopefully the frame won't be too large.  It all starts with this guy...

the tick sdcc 2016.jpg

Edited by vsndesigns

On 8/9/2019 at 5:59 AM, Brian Bollinger said:

2007a_lg.jpg

I haven’t seen one on eBay since 2017 when I first became aware of the con exclusives.

I’ll have to consult your checklist but I’m pretty certain it’s the only Tick issue I am missing (I don’t have the ambition for the super rare stuff haha, so kudos to you guys) and that has been pretty frustrating.

I do find the whole “numbered” thing puzzling, as many of the con exclusive regular and sketch covers appear to have unnumbered populations...meaning there are definitely more than just the “250” claimed. Just seems a bit counterintuitive to me...

On 8/10/2019 at 4:06 PM, vsndesigns said:

I'm gonna do a framed art piece built from a CGC 9.8 graded Tick cover, the original production artwork for the cover, the pencil sketch original of one of the inside pages and the book itself turned to that page.  Hopefully the frame won't be too large.  It all starts with this guy...

imageproxy.php?img=&key=31b352271b3a5a4b

the tick sdcc 2016.jpg

I was hoping it was you that got this cover artwork.  I was going to save my money for it because Bumbling Bee is my 2nd favorite Tick character.  I did get other stuff so I'm happy and happy to know it's in a good home.  :-)  Congrats on the purchase!

3 hours ago, Brian Bollinger said:

I was hoping it was you that got this cover artwork.  I was going to save my money for it because Bumbling Bee is my 2nd favorite Tick character.  I did get other stuff so I'm happy and happy to know it's in a good home.  :-)  Congrats on the purchase!

Thanks Brian!  I was first trying to get the Council of The Tick, but alas, someone else got it before me.  That was a killer cover with all the iterations of The Tick done by Duane Redhead.  Hmmmm...now who could have acquired that one?