• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Tick Appreciation Thread
7 7

2,264 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Brian Bollinger said:

@vsndesignsDid you get the artwork for the GPK card that was on eBay?  It was up there for several months.

Yuppers!  I'm trying to think of the best way to frame 3 original art pieces to make the card and then a couple cards he autographed for me.  I didnt realize how much work went into collector card series!  

On 9/18/2019 at 10:03 PM, vsndesigns said:

Hey, anyone know if I can get the GPK Nick Tick Collector Card CGC'd?  

I'm only posting this because I can't find any info that CGC does this.  If they do, please delete this post...

This company grades cards:

https://www.beckett.com/grading

Edited by Brian Bollinger

Hi Brian, I did more research and you were right.  The CGC used to grade Collector Card Series.  They were called SGC They are still in existence but they scizzimed off on their own.  Now there are Three Collector Card Graders, PSA, Beckett, and SGC.  I don't know which one to use.  It looks like PSA has been around the longest but my loyalties rest with CGC so I might go with SGC and see how it goes.  Thanks for responding mate!  -Vic out.

So after finally getting my CGC Ashcan Special Edition No. 2 In-Office Proof Production Copy I received a humble score of 7.0.  But of course!  They actually used and marked up this copy to create the Original Tick Comic Book Special Edition No. 2.  And now, the aging process for this bad boy has officially stopped and I couldn't be happier...welll...mostly. 

THE TICK ASHCAN SPECIAL EDITION #2 IN OFFICE PRODUCTION WITH REDMARKS.jpg

9 minutes ago, vsndesigns said:

So after finally getting my CGC Ashcan Special Edition No. 2 In-Office Proof Production Copy I received a humble score of 7.0.  But of course!  They actually used and marked up this copy to create the Original Tick Comic Book Special Edition No. 2.  And now, the aging process for this bad boy has officially stopped and I couldn't be happier...welll...mostly. 

THE TICK ASHCAN SPECIAL EDITION #2 IN OFFICE PRODUCTION WITH REDMARKS.jpg

I registered it onto The Registry, but they wouldn't let me put it on the right spot, but that's okay, I'm still thrilled about it.    Oh, and they gave me a whopping "2" whole points for this real mccoy ashcan...and still...I'm very content.  Cuz...we all know better...  The only thing that would top this is someone...finding that illusive gosh darn No. 1 Ashcan that my good friend Brian lost somewhere on the road to his new house.  I hope whoever found it comes to the CGC to share their good fortune, cause I would love to see what red marks George Suarez and Bob Polio did to Ben's first go at his first Tick Comic Book!

On 10/10/2019 at 12:18 PM, Ryan. said:

So what's the going rate for a Special Edition 1 in 9.8 these days?

According to the CGC Census Fair Market Value for The Tick No. 1 Special Edition Graded at 9.8 is listed at $2,150.00.  But like anything, I suppose it's whatever the market will bear or whatever someone is willing to shell out for it.  That's my 2 cents.  

THE VALUE OF A TICK.jpg

On 10/4/2019 at 12:37 PM, vsndesigns said:

I registered it onto The Registry, but they wouldn't let me put it on the right spot, but that's okay, I'm still thrilled about it.    Oh, and they gave me a whopping "2" whole points for this real mccoy ashcan...and still...I'm very content.  Cuz...we all know better...  The only thing that would top this is someone...finding that illusive gosh darn No. 1 Ashcan that my good friend Brian lost somewhere on the road to his new house.  I hope whoever found it comes to the CGC to share their good fortune, cause I would love to see what red marks George Suarez and Bob Polio did to Ben's first go at his first Tick Comic Book!

That's weird. I didn't think CGC would grade these, because they're so easy to reproduce, a la Gobbledygook. But congratulations on getting your #2 slabbed! I need to find one.

Guess I should send my #1 ashcan in....still needs to be signed by Ben, which Bob promised he would get done.

Did I share my NEC Newsletter #28 that I had Bob sign when I bought it at SDCC? I was a little disappointed that he asked me if I wanted it personalized, or if I was going to sell it. I told him "neither." 

I really don't think creators understand that we are mere caretakers, and personalization sort of ruins that, whether we sell it or not. 

He had NEC Newstletter #14, but they were asking $1,000, which was really quite silly, so I didn't get it. Still, it would be nice to own those, too.

23 hours ago, vsndesigns said:

According to the CGC Census Fair Market Value for The Tick No. 1 Special Edition Graded at 9.8 is listed at $2,150.00.  But like anything, I suppose it's whatever the market will bear or whatever someone is willing to shell out for it.  That's my 2 cents.  

THE VALUE OF A TICK.jpg

Thanks. Interesting one hasn't sold in over two years. 

4 minutes ago, vsndesigns said:

I wish prices were more like this!  https://t.co/kUFIjAJfR5?amp=1

It's a 9.8 cgc copy of a number 1 Mad Magazine thats currently up on aucrion at Heritage Auctions.  Current bid....$48,000.00 Not bad for a 1957 edition!

Oh wait...it just went up a thousand bucks!  Yeah, and if you want a real graded comic CGC is the only way to go...imo.  And thats not including the 20 percent commission they have to pay in addition to the base cost...which in this case is 10k above the 50k it's looking to sell for...30 minutes left!!!  

Edited by vsndesigns

The prices on Tick comic began and rise about 6 months before the release of the Amazon series a few years back and then peaked about 2 weeks after Season 1 started.  The prices have dropped a lot since then but some people are still holding out for that "peak" price.  I saw ungraded special edition #1's selling for $600-$800... now I see them sometimes listed for under $150.  I was new to collecting slabbed comics and bought a few lower grades and what I thought were good prices.  At least I only spent a few hundred dollars to learn my lesson and not a few thousand.

I snapped these up on eBay the other day, just because I like them.  Upon closer inspection of these tiny morsels, I noticed they were done by Blaine, and after doing some Googling, I found that they were done by Patrick Blaine back in 1996, which was coincidentally the last year of The Tick Animated Series which ended on November 24, 1996.  

THE TICK AND ARTHUR AND FRIENDS.jpg