• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Tick Appreciation Thread
7 7

2,264 posts in this topic

On 3/15/2020 at 12:08 PM, vsndesigns said:

IT'S A TICK GIVEAWAY!  RULES: Pick a number between 1 to 100. Open to ANYONE who appreciates The Tick. Just Quick Quote and write any number that pops in your head and the person who guesses closest to a pre-determined number will receive the item as described above to be delivered post free to wherever you wish. Good luck Tick fans and Spoooooonnnnn!!!!   

WINNER WILL BE ANNOUNCED ON APRIL 1, 2020.  

Desciption:  The Tick Mighty Blue Justice! By Greg Hyland, The Tick Bendable Action Figure by Gordy Toys, and The Tick "I Am Mighty" T-Shirt.      

THE TICK FREE GIVEAWAY APRIL 2020.jpg

On 3/24/2020 at 6:16 AM, vsndesigns said:

SPECIAL ANNOUNCMENT:  

I intend to announce this months winner on April 1 as planned but in observation of the current Covid-19 Outbreak, I will be postponing the shipping of these items until it is deemed safe to do so through my local USPS.. I really hate to disappoint everyone but my wife and I are in the higher risk age group and we decided to postpone having to go to the post office.  I will let everyone know when we will take off from this hiatus and I hope you and your families are taking all reasonable precautions to remain healthy and safe.  Thanks to everyone who participated, keep your hopes high and we will all make it out together!  Spooooooooooooooonnnnnnnn!!!!  

And the winning number for this months Tick Free Giveaway.....is number 47!  Will the contestant with the number closest to 47 please PM me with his or her mailing address.  On a more somber note my wife and I wish to express our deepest hopes and prayers to everyone on this planet.   

On 3/15/2020 at 12:08 PM, vsndesigns said:

IT'S A TICK GIVEAWAY!  RULES: Pick a number between 1 to 100. Open to ANYONE who appreciates The Tick. Just Quick Quote and write any number that pops in your head and the person who guesses closest to a pre-determined number will receive the item as described above to be delivered post free to wherever you wish. Good luck Tick fans and Spoooooonnnnn!!!!   

WINNER WILL BE ANNOUNCED ON APRIL 1, 2020.  

Desciption:  The Tick Mighty Blue Justice! By Greg Hyland, The Tick Bendable Action Figure by Gordy Toys, and The Tick "I Am Mighty" T-Shirt.      

THE TICK FREE GIVEAWAY APRIL 2020.jpg

47!  Is the winning number!  ...okay, now who was closest to that?  @Takineko is proclaimed the Winner of this Contest!  Takineko please IM me with an address where you will like to have your prize sent.  Shipping will be delayed until after the current covid-19 pandemic has passed.  

24 minutes ago, Brian Bollinger said:

Happy to ad this #10 graded 9.8 to my collection.  Only 3 of these in the registry.  Also, got a commission piece from Ian Nicholes.  Abby Road / Tick.

Tick #10 9.8.jpg

header_nichols.jpg

Congrats on the slab, and I could see the tick as John Lennon Haha cool!

26 minutes ago, chainnball said:

Found this recently and wanted to get an idea on scarcity and value. Not for sale. 

E423BD14-020A-458F-BC9A-A93C8E62CC3B.jpeg

Issue 2
"High Rise Hijinx"
Special edition, die-cut cover, stamped with a serial number from 1 to 3000, released June 1988. First edition released September 1988.
Ben Edlund, Writer & Penciller; Max Banks, Inker; Bob Polio, Art Director; George Suarez, Editor & Publisher.
Clark Oppenheimer reports, late, for his job at the newspaper. Meanwhile the Tick dons a tie and purse as a secret identity, Mr. Nedd. The Tick obtains a job as a crossword editor at the Weekly World Planet. While snooping in Clark's desk, he inadvertently reveals a message from Clark's father and builds his "fortress of fortitude." Clark takes the Tick aside and explains that he is the protector of the City, which the Tick disputes. The Tick is fired from the newspaper. On his way out, he leaves a gift for Clark by molding his car into an oversized ashtray. Clark, understandably upset by this development, attacks the Tick who defeats Clark by breaking his disguise (his glasses).
The parallels between Clark Oppenheimer and Superman continue, when the Tick inadvertently unleashes a message from Clark's father, Ban-Al, and identifies him as Marlon Brando, who played Jor-El in the 1978 Superman movie.
The 1st edition of The Tick 2 was released with a die-cut cover: a small square window revealing the Tick from the first page. A mistake in the production resulted in a rare number of issues (less than 200) without the diecut being released.
Second edition released March 1989. Third edition released June 1989. Fourth edition released December 1989. Fifth edition released July 1991. Sixth edition released January 1995. Special Edition Reprise with same cover as the Special Edition with a second wrap cover and serially numbered 3001-8000, July 1996. Seventh, 10th anniversary edition, released August 1996. Eighth edition released March 1998.

On 6/9/2020 at 1:37 PM, chainnball said:

Found this recently and wanted to get an idea on scarcity and value. Not for sale. 

E423BD14-020A-458F-BC9A-A93C8E62CC3B.jpeg

These in high grade are pretty rare. I own about 4 myself. VNS has given a good breakdown

24 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

I don't know anything about this but at this point something I've never seen and has no GPA  - not even listed! - is kind of cool. Just popped up on Comiclink. What is this?

50071450096000003698006001.jpg

@Brian Bollinger any info? Seen it before?

"Ashcan" editions were originally photocopies of the comic book used during the editing phase of creating a comic book.  When you were done with them, they where thrown in the trash, or ashcan.  I'm not sure when they became collectible but at some point New England Comics saw a value in them and "printed" (photocopied) some of them and sold them.  They only did this for a very few of their issues.  On the first two issues of The Tick, back in 1988, NEC also made some and sent them out (pre-production) to distributors to send to other comic book shops to determine if there was a marked for the comic or not.  I have one of these (I may have two ...now that I have kids I am a little less organized).  If you're interested in the Tick and his line of comics I have a website that is up to date as of last summer.  It doesn't list values or try to sell you anything.  It's just a complete collection of cover photos - including any variant covers, and when possible, a little bit of information about each comic.  http://www.TickComics.com

Edited by Brian Bollinger

6 hours ago, Brian Bollinger said:

"Ashcan" editions were originally photocopies of the comic book used during the editing phase of creating a comic book.  When you were done with them, they where thrown in the trash, or ashcan.  I'm not sure when they became collectible but at some point New England Comics saw a value in them and "printed" (photocopied) some of them and sold them.  They only did this for a very few of their issues.  On the first two issues of The Tick, back in 1988, NEC also made some and sent them out (pre-production) to distributors to send to other comic book shops to determine if there was a marked for the comic or not.  I have one of these (I may have two ...now that I have kids I am a little less organized).  If you're interested in the Tick and his line of comics I have a website that is up to date as up last summer.  It doesn't list values or try to sell you anything.  It's just a complete collection of cover photos - including any variant covers, and when possible, a little bit of information about each comic.  http://www.TickComics.com

@FlyingDonut

And thanks a bunch @Brian Bollinger^^

Just announced another Tick Giveaway for either this weekend or next (Lightning Round!).  Any Tick Fan may participate as usual.  Pick a number between 0 and 99 and the closest wins it for free.  I'll be announcing the winner on Twitter and Discord.  Up for grabs is this Ultra Rare Dinosaur Neil PVC 3" Miniature Figure by Irwin (Canadian Version)...I remember searching for a whole year for him!  Good Luck Everyone!  

Dinosaur Neil.jpg

18 minutes ago, vsndesigns said:

Just announced another Tick Giveaway for either this weekend or next (Lightning Round!).  Any Tick Fan may participate as usual.  Pick a number between 0 and 99 and the closest wins it for free.  I'll be announcing the winner on Twitter and Discord.  Up for grabs is this Ultra Rare Dinosaur Neil PVC 3" Miniature Figure by Irwin (Canadian Version)...I remember searching for a whole year for him!  Good Luck Everyone!  

Dinosaur Neil.jpg

41 minutes ago, vsndesigns said:

Dinosaur Neil.jpg