• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Tick Appreciation Thread
7 7

2,264 posts in this topic

:applause:

"True first appearance of The Tick" - I hear ya about it being more than just a single image, but the difference between a newsletter and a full comic - I don't know.

But it is still a cool Tick item to own for any fan.

:applause:

"True first appearance of The Tick" - I hear ya about it being more than just a single image, but the difference between a newsletter and a full comic - I don't know.

But it is still a cool Tick item to own for any fan.

It's the first publication featuring The Tick. Not sure what you would call that. People seem divided over similar stuff, like what exactly constitutes the first Hellboy or Goon. Personally, I think the first printed material to contain a story featuting the character is the first appearance. Other people feel that it needs to be distributed or sold to be the first. Can't say either is right or wrong, but it makes for interesting debate.

Hellboy is easy - Dime Press 4 was a prototype cover as the character was gray, was close to what the final Hellboy looked like later on, but San Diego Comic-Con 2 was the first full appearance in a 4-page story that didn't show up again until it was reprinted in the Hellboy: Seed of Destruction TPB.

Goon is tough because even folks that worked at Avatar Press have shared they feel the 1st appearance is Dreamwalker 0 as that 5-page story was his first material Powell submitted into their editor before even coming up with Goon 1. But I think CGC states on the label "preview material."

I'm not saying the NEC #14 newsletter is not critical - it sure is.

The Tick is a fun comic to read. Its too bad that it didn't remain popular or catch on better.

Of course it'd help if the new series that they produce would actually come out on time...

especially "New Series"... it's freaking bi-monthly and already late after only 1 issue...

Awesome stuff guys. I love The Tick. I was one of the few that actually picked up issue #1 off the shelf back in the day. I've never seen the #2 without the diecut. That is keen! I have all the early issues through #12 include the 2 special editions. I should bring them to CGC at San Diego Comic Con this year and get them slabbed

I got this last summer from a dude here on the boards and then ran into Ben Edlund at the San Diego Comic Con and got him to sign it ....

TickSpecialEdition2art.jpg