• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Tick Appreciation Thread
7 7

2,264 posts in this topic

tickashcan.jpg

The Tick Orange Ashcan Edition #1

Pre-dates The Tick Special Edition #1 in 1988.

Bob Polio photocopied and hand stapled 50 preview copies. 4 stayed with NEC, 18 went to distributors, 1 each to Ben Edlund, George Suarez, and Bob Polio. The remaining 25 were sold in 1996 signed and numbered by Polio and Suarez.

First I've ever heard of this book.

It was advertised in the NEC Summer-Fall 1996 Tick Catalog only, as far as I can tell. No prices are listed as they were on a separate order form sheet.

Some more rarities:

tick12variants.jpg

For issue #12 NEC produced four different variant cardstock covers stamped with serial numbers:

Convention Edition (1000 printed)

Diamond Edtion (1000 printed)

Capital City Edition (1000 printed)

Tick Society Edition (2000 printed, must be a MOAV member to get this one)

The picture above is actually of the back covers. The front is the same as regular issue without the logos and a foil stamped tick symbol on chair Tick is sitting on. There is no printing on the inside covers and therefore no indicia.

I don't know why I never joined MOAV to get the last one, dang-it.

btw, i thought it was a yellow gold cover.

They called it orange in the description, so that's what I'm going with. The cover paper is cheap like colored construction paper from elementary school.

ah, i have been looking for that book forever. one was on ebay several years ago, it was the first and last time I saw it.

Finally! Someone has a book that makes you want to beg now.

:devil:

Here are some NEC Newsletters.

newsletters2.jpg

newsletters1.jpg

tickposter.jpg

#50/51 (Nov/Dec 1989) has a nifty Bob Burden Flaming Carrot and Tick pin-up page.

#100 (Jan 1994) has the Tick pages from Newsletter #14 reprinted. It's also an infinity cover.

I think centerfold poster also came from the #50/51 issue. I had it hanging on my wall for years.

Last group is of The Tick spin-off The Chainsaw Vigilante #1!

chainsawvigilante1.jpg

chainsawvigilante2.jpg

The silver foil is the regular issue. But the printer did a test run of under 50 each of gold foil, pseudo 3-D, and heavy orange.

I had that NEC poster for a long time, and then gave it away.

Very cool collection!

:applause:

I do believe it came in two different colors as well? The Tick as a darker damaged character like this portrays would've changed history.

ah, i have been looking for that book forever. one was on ebay several years ago, it was the first and last time I saw it.

Finally! Someone has a book that makes you want to beg now.

:devil:

Kneel before Zod! :)

How did you find all of these Tick books?

In order to finish my first-print set back in the pre-Ebay days of 1994, I actually went to a New England Comics store in Boston, but--while well-stocked in the regular issues, they didn't even have any Special Editions in stock.

And you're saying that above that the no-logo # 12 has four different back cover versions, right?

And you're saying that above that the no-logo # 12 has four different back cover versions, right?
I believe that's correct. Here's the front of my Diamond edition:

Tick12SpecEd205.jpg