• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Tick Appreciation Thread
7 7

2,264 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, srezvan said:

I check the NEC website every now and then for new things, or maybe stuff I missed. Picked up this button set recently.

313124738_TickPinSet.thumb.jpg.6f66b4e7bb380b416a60d23307ec2892.jpg

Wow...thats really cool since your number is actually lower than mine, if those things matter that is.  Congrats!

On 11/6/2019 at 5:04 PM, vsndesigns said:

I snapped these up on eBay the other day, just because I like them.  Upon closer inspection of these tiny morsels, I noticed they were done by Blaine, and after doing some Googling, I found that they were done by Patrick Blaine back in 1996, which was coincidentally the last year of The Tick Animated Series which ended on November 24, 1996.  

THE TICK AND ARTHUR AND FRIENDS.jpg

What's even neater is he decided to do a commission for me.  This was drawn when he was a lad, and I'm really looking forward to what he comes up with as a season veteran!

i just think it's neat that the idea of The Tick, came about because of a role-playing game called Marvel Superheroes...

"which wasn't a badly-designed game, but it also kind of took the veil off of superheroes, in a sense. You'd have to take all of their abilities and all of their strengths and weaknesses and kind of itemize them, and it began a process of breaking down superheroes and seeing what was mythic and clever about them, and also what was kind of naive, even sometimes dumb about them, which really started to get me into the direction of superhero parody, which is of course where The Tick began."

Begun as a spec strip, Tick's true origin was as a joke during a role-playing game session amongst Ben's friends. Intrigued by the character that he jokingly made up, he began to think and draw him out as "an unstoppable, uncrushable, and somehow deeply disconnected goofball that fell from the sky." 
Not long after, the artist was beginning to feel confident in his work and drew some superhero samples with the hope of procuring some paying work. He showed them to art director Bob Polio and comic store owner/publisher George Suarez of NEC, who were impressed enough to call him back for a potential comic book they were developing. With college starting and the -script to the comic arriving super-late, Ben realistically pondered on the opportunity when Suarez asked him to create a book based on his Tick strip instead.  Excited with this offer, he worked on the first issue and developed the character more during his freshman (and part of his sophomore) year at Massachusetts College of Art, where he wanted to study film. 

On 11/11/2019 at 7:47 AM, vsndesigns said:

Wow...thats really cool since your number is actually lower than mine, if those things matter that is.  Congrats!

You going to give us a shot of your cool Tick room anytime soon?

Congrats on all the new finds :)

Ha!  Thats funny that you asked.  Just today dah wifey pooh asked what are plans we're for today and I promptly answered...I was thinking about cleaning up my earthquake scattered man cave and fix one of the displays.  She had a slight frown and I asked what I could do to turn that frown upside down.  She shrugged her shoulders and replied she wanted to see some snow...so...

Not really knowing what I am doing as far as display's goes...this is my feable attempt at a start.  I am using a Detolf Glass Cabinet from Ikea, Some tubular glass cups to hold up a really thin piece of glass I got out of a Dollar General picture frame.  And some plastic dixie shot glasses to elevate some of the characters in the back.  

20191211_074023.jpg

Meandering thoughts of an absent minded professor, as it were.  The comic book market reached a
saturation point in the early 1990's and finally collapsed between 1993 and 1997.  The Tick was born in
1986 and Arthur joined him in 1989 during The B/W Comic Craze.  1994 Fox Kids Network introduced
The Tick as an Animated Cartoon Series.  2001 appeared The Tick Live Actions Series.  2005 The Toon
Disney Network, ABC Family, and Jetix began airing The Tick Cartoon.   2006-2007 Buena Vista released
the DVD.  2016 Amazon Prime's Pilot of The Tick emerged.  2017-18 Amazon Prime's The Tick Season 1.  
2019 Amazon Prime's Season 2.  There is talk of Hollywood's Super Hero Saturation Collapse 2019.  
Amongst the Ashes Arose The Phoenix...and I think this time...his name is The Tick.      

the tick poster.jpg

Trying to put in my flimsy acrylic clear thingymadoo onto two Ikea Riba frames that I hinged together to make a shadow box.  Added some blue velvet material from Joanne's fabrics, and a couple weather strips from home depot that I lazily put blue final tape onto instead of painting them.  (I'll probably regret that later...but I think it does the job and gives it that rubber plastic look)  -Vic out

IMGP3351.JPG

IMGP3352.JPG

4 hours ago, vsndesigns said:

Hey @Brian Bollinger, I saw this on eBay and I'm not sure what to think of it.  Any input?  

moon marathon hoax.jpg

It came with the 2019 comic con comic books... someone may have just taken theirs out and they're selling the comic book and the trading card separately.

Edited by Brian Bollinger

9 minutes ago, Brian Bollinger said:

It came with the 2019 comic con comic books... someone may have just taking theirs out and they're selling the comic book and the trading card separately.

Sweet!  I went and bought it!  I can't remember if I already have it, but it my NYCC Comic didn't have it so...

On 12/23/2019 at 10:03 PM, kpaqu1 said:

Tick ad from Amazing Heroes #143.

ah_143_Tick.thumb.jpg.c04c96e43e5e0b4d6015c845461f8870.jpg

Very Kewl!  I had to hunt for one down and got it!  ...except...The mag came out in June 15, 1988 and the Ad is for The Tick Coming soon in May, 1988!   Fantagraphic Books 1800 Bridgegate Street #101, Westlake Village, CA  91361 was from my neck of the woods!

49432840017_456fb921da_k.jpg

For those looking for an original vintage Ben Edlund piece of Tick art, I wanted to make sure this group knew that we'll have two in Prop Store's current Toy/Comic Art auction taking place on March 4th. You can go here to see the full catalog:  https://usm.propstoreauction.com/m/view-auctions/catalog/id/249/

Tick_Card_Art.jpg

Tick_Cerebus.jpg

2 hours ago, comiconxion said:

For those looking for an original vintage Ben Edlund piece of Tick art, I wanted to make sure this group knew that we'll have two in Prop Store's current Toy/Comic Art auction taking place on March 4th. You can go here to see the full catalog:  https://usm.propstoreauction.com/m/view-auctions/catalog/id/249/

Tick_Card_Art.jpg

Tick_Cerebus.jpg

Wow that is fantastic. Thanks for sharing