• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Tick Appreciation Thread
7 7

2,264 posts in this topic

YeeHawww!!! I just checked my status and it says....

Graded Books have been graded and are currently going through the encapsulation process. This is when the appropriate holder size is selected and each book is carefully encased. Once this is complete, each comic will enter into the quality control process before it will be shipped.

The quality control process is when graded and encapsulated comics are re-examined by a grader to make certain that their labels are correct for both the grade and its accompanying descriptive information. He also inspects each comic for any major flaws on its holder.

Yup! I think I did anyways. It was magazine size so I opted for the Magazine Submission Express! :). I'm pretty stoked about the whole process, being it my first time I ever CGC'd anything. Heck, before CGC, I didn't even know there was such a thing as Magazine Size? I just learned about tinypic.com from another member! How cool is that!

Here is a controversial one that just reminded me of The Tick. He's blue, has antennas, and parodies super heroes...other than that, completely different. Also, I thought Cerebus was kinda cool. For whatever reason, had to get it and I think it makes a pretty nice addition to my collection. Got it all the way from Canada too!

n3ltlz.jpg

OMG how did I never clue in to that before... definite "inspiration" for the tick.

Even the names are similar. Cockroach/Tick - both nasty bugs.

Ben had to be basically ripping off Dave's concept. It was a great series in its own right, but boy...

I personally think that we all borrow off of each other. Who was it that said, plagiary is the highest form of flattery? It's like architecture or the invention of the wheel, we certainly have made it our own when we add our own touch to the subject matter. :)

I just moved up to Shipped/Safe status! Yup! driving myself nuts checking my status every day, but what the heck, it's fun! I got a 9.4 on one and a .0 on the other. Not quite sure what .0 is but maybe the world's lowest score?

Honest to Gosh, when I get everything back and I scan in my images, I think some Tick fans will get a blast out of it! I know I'm all excited about it just going through the motions of submitting, and waiting, checking my status, and waiting...like they say, good things happen to those who wait! ((((sigh)))) still...what the heck is a .0 grade?

I just moved up to Shipped/Safe status! Yup! driving myself nuts checking my status every day, but what the heck, it's fun! I got a 9.4 on one and a .0 on the other. Not quite sure what .0 is but maybe the world's lowest score?
Which issues did you send off?

Hey Mr. 9.8! It's a surprise but it'll be worth the wait! HINT: No one's seen one on the internet before and it has to do with The Tick! I corresponded with the guys at NEC and I'm pretty stoked, despite any results I get! Vic out!

.0 means "unable to encapsulate".

Usually due to either an unusual book size or possibly due to a book being indistinguishable from a photocopy (such as Cry For Dawn #3 Horror Edition, which can't be encapsulated).

You'll get the book back ungraded/unslabbed.

I personally think that we all borrow off of each other. Who was it that said, plagiary is the highest form of flattery? It's like architecture or the invention of the wheel, we certainly have made it our own when we add our own touch to the subject matter. :)

Oh for sure, that's what I meant when I said that the tick was a great series in its own right... ie. Ben added a significant twists on it, and brought his own humor. For sure.

But the very seed of the idea, boy, hard to say that wasn't Dave's.

Then again the seed of Cerebus was Conan as an aardvark, so glass houses and all that.

Hey Mr. 9.8! It's a surprise but it'll be worth the wait! HINT: No one's seen one on the internet before and it has to do with The Tick! I corresponded with the guys at NEC and I'm pretty stoked, despite any results I get! Vic out!

:popcorn: x1000

Check this out. I got to chat with the guy who collects some awesome original comic book art and he shared a pic of this one that he eventually did a write-up on how he got it created. Thought you might get a chuckle out of this!

119z9s3.jpg

Okay, this one you've seen before online in the RAW...and I'm pretty sure it's been done before but I haven't seen any images of it. The other one ...which I got a grade of .0, well thanks to ValientMan, I think they're not going to grade it. Wait, that came out all wrong! hehehe... Thanks to ValientMan, I now understand what a grade of .0 is. ...okay, I'm rambling...let me first put this one on up, I think it's pretty darn cool...since I got a 9.4!!! Oh, yeah!!!

t6y1du.jpg