• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

white mountain vs curator

135 posts in this topic

Some random comments:

- While the Green River pedigree has some nice books, the collection was very small, lacking much depth.

- Ditto Oakland, late SA and Bronze only. The Page Quality on Oaklands probably average OW/W.

- You have to see a Curator to appreciate the Bone White Page Quality. They are incredible.

- John Hauser brought both the Green River and Curator collections to market.

- The Curator books are probably the core of Tommie Brulato's collection = they rarely appear for sale.

The collection was found by John Hauser (I believe that was the name) and he still had some modern Curators when I saw his stuff in Chicago...X-men, Spidey, stuff like that.

I would like add Hauser is an incredible grader and all around nice guy. I heard someone bought every stinkin one of the modern/copper hulk curators from him. What kind of person would do such a thing :cry:

:shy:

I admit the Bowling Greens and Green Rivers were reaching, but like, Ghost_Town, I was trying to round out a top ten.
For some reason im drawn to those two pedigrees.....

It's the date stamps and the word "green." :baiting:

There are some very nice books in both collections. A few of them are actually quite stunning. However, in my opinion, the quality isn't all that consistent like the other pedigrees.

which one has the better silver aged books? i own a couple of curators that are very nice but no white mountains.

What do you mean by "better" books? Average grade on a book by book basis? Most keys? Best depth and breadth? Both Marvel and DC? The interesting thing about SA pedigrees is that they all seem to have some weaknesses that prevents any one single one from towering above all others in the same way that the Church is indisputably the #1 GA pedigree.

Curators are probably the best on a book by book basis. There are many jaw dropping copies, such as the only true 9.8 X-Men #1. However, I don`t know if enough is known about the overall depth and breadth of the collection, particularly the DCs, to say it`s the best overall.

When it comes to Marvel keys, particularly the mega-keys, White Mountain dwarfs the others. 9.2 FF 1, 9.4 AF 15, 9.6 ASM 1, 9.6 TOS 39, 9.6 JIM 83. `Nuff said. Does anyone know the grades of the WM Hulk 1 and X-Men 1? However, many DCs are not in the WM collection, as the owner only seemed to be interested in DCs that had a sci-fi themed cover.

PC probably wins for overall depth and breadth, and ranks very high on overall average grade. But it`s hurt by the lack of high grade keys, both Marvel and DC. The owner only seemed to get serious around late 1962 or early 1963, so many of the keys are either missing or not nearly of the same grade as the later books.

Then there are other pedigrees like Massachusetts which rank high on different criteria but perhaps not so much on keys, and Western Penn which is intriguing because the known books rank really high, particularly for early SA, but what is not known about the collection seems to outweigh what is known.

Curator by a mile. Curator has the best examples of Silver Age comics, period. The closest to Curator would be the Pacific Coast Pedigree. Despite having books such as AF 15 9.4, White Mountain isn't even a Top 3 Pedigree.

Sorry, refresh my memory as to which mega-keys are in the Curator and PC collections again?

PC definitely owns the top TTA books as well, a lot of the single 9.8s in the 60s and 70s are PC copies

Yes, but most of the top of census much-harder-to-find TTAs in the 30s and 40s, including the impossible-to-find-in-NM #35, are Western Penns.

not to sound bias over here on the left coast, but it's PC and then everybody else. :acclaim: sorry. :rulez:

You`re right, I can`t wait to build my collection with the PC FF #1, PC AF #15, PC Showcase #4, Showcase #22, and B&B #28.

Oh, wait a minute, they either don`t exist or or are low grade. :tonofbricks:

which one has the better silver aged books? i own a couple of curators that are very nice but no white mountains.

What do you mean by "better" books? Average grade on a book by book basis? Most keys? Best depth and breadth? Both Marvel and DC? The interesting thing about SA pedigrees is that they all seem to have some weaknesses that prevents any one single one from towering above all others in the same way that the Church is indisputably the #1 GA pedigree.

Curators are probably the best on a book by book basis. There are many jaw dropping copies, such as the only true 9.8 X-Men #1. However, I don`t know if enough is known about the overall depth and breadth of the collection, particularly the DCs, to say it`s the best overall.

When it comes to Marvel keys, particularly the mega-keys, White Mountain dwarfs the others. 9.2 FF 1, 9.4 AF 15, 9.6 ASM 1, 9.6 TOS 39, 9.6 JIM 83. `Nuff said. Does anyone know the grades of the WM Hulk 1 and X-Men 1? However, many DCs are not in the WM collection, as the owner only seemed to be interested in DCs that had a sci-fi themed cover.

PC probably wins for overall depth and breadth, and ranks very high on overall average grade. But it`s hurt by the lack of high grade keys, both Marvel and DC. The owner only seemed to get serious around late 1962 or early 1963, so many of the keys are either missing or not nearly of the same grade as the later books.

Then there are other pedigrees like Massachusetts which rank high on different criteria but perhaps not so much on keys, and Western Penn which is intriguing because the known books rank really high, particularly for early SA, but what is not known about the collection seems to outweigh what is known.

The WM hulk 1 was in an 8.0 slab the last time i saw it.

Question for those of you voting the Curator pedigree as the finest of the Silver Age: where have you seen the books? Have you ever seen a Curator SA DC? A Fantastic Four, Journey Into Mystery, or Strange Tales? A Silver Surfer or Captain America?

I haven't (except for a lone Strange Tales in 9.2), and so can't compare the pedigree to the PC, which nearly all have been slabbed and visible in the marketplace. (shrug)

Great post, Bob.

Regarding Curator SA DCs, I`ve seen the 9.8 Hawkman #1, the 9.6 MGA 80, and this Aquaman. And that`s kind of it, unless I`m forgetting some.

Aquaman16.jpg

If I rember correctly what Jim told me, the X-Men #1 is a restored 9.0.

Also, just from my very limited exprience, in comparing two copies of the same book I owned, X-men #36 (1 WM 1 Northland) both 9.4 the Northland (old label)wins hands down. The Northland was a very strong 9.4 maybe even a 9.6 on straight resub while the WM was a weak 9.4 with two spine ticks that I was suprised to see on a 9.4. However, I have seen the FF#28 WM and it is jaw dropping. The X-Men #10 WM I own is also very nice even with the huge stamp on the cover.

I always hear "bone white pages" for the Curator Pedigree. Well I own only one Curator Pedigree book and it has OW/W pages according to CGC.

Does anybody know a rough percentage of how many of the Curators were/are graded less than White pages?

I'm just curious.

If I rember correctly what Jim told me, the X-Men #1 is a restored 9.0.

It is and it just sold this year. It is a very pretty book. It's just too bad someone messed with it.

I've always thought it was a shame CGC hasn't recognized the Golden States. I think they're far nicer that a lot of the pedigrees they do recognize.

I agree, but it's not their fault, Greenhalgh didn't keep enough records to identify most of the books. He regretted that and made sure he did keep better records when he found the Winnipegs. I've heard him say that Golden State was the best bunch of books he's ever had though...does anyone know if one of the two FFs, the 9.4 and 9.6, in the Pedigree Comics vault is a Golden State copy?

Western Penn which is intriguing because the known books rank really high, particularly for early SA, but what is not known about the collection seems to outweigh what is known.

Yea, it's impossible for us to rank these collections without knowing the depth of Western Penn. Who owns those books? I vaguely recall that they're mostly owned by one person who is in the entertainment business.

I always hear "bone white pages" for the Curator Pedigree. Well I own only one Curator Pedigree book and it has OW/W pages according to CGC.

You hear that because the books were stored in the absolute ideal environment for 35-40 years in a museum vault and the pages should be the same color as of the late 1990s that they were in the early 1960s. I'm sure some have yellowed slightly since they were broken out, and as we've all seen, CGC's evaluation of page quality varies--hard to say when the last time the light bulb was changed in the grading lamp used when your book went through. :boo:

I'm pretty sure the WM Hulk 1 is a 9.2....and sold several years ago either at Heritage or Clink. 50 K comes to mind. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u