• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

white mountain vs curator

135 posts in this topic

i was looking through some of my pacific coast pedigrees and noticed that some do not have the round sticker on the case but are still labeled and wanted to know who places them there cgc or the person who found the collection?

Robert Roter from the Pacific Comic Exchange is the guy who brought most of the collection to the market. He put the stickers on the cases. Many of the books were bought raw before CGC opened its doors. Chances are, those books never got the stickers after they were sent to CGC.

Basically, if the PC books were slabbed directly by Robert Roter, then they likely have the PC sticker on them. If the PC books were slabbed directly by others (either by Tom Hanlin, who bought raw books directly from the PC OO, or by collectors who bought raw books from Roter), then they don`t have the PC sticker on them.

My buddy has the FF 13 that he bought raw from Roter. It has the sticker on the mylar with another sticker that has Roter's numerical designation for grade and PQ....all for the princely sum of $ 600. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I was just looking at an old CBM with that book advertised. Definitely some deals to be had.

i was looking through some of my pacific coast pedigrees and noticed that some do not have the round sticker on the case but are still labeled and wanted to know who places them there cgc or the person who found the collection?

Robert Roter from the Pacific Comic Exchange is the guy who brought most of the collection to the market. He put the stickers on the cases. Many of the books were bought raw before CGC opened its doors. Chances are, those books never got the stickers after they were sent to CGC.

Basically, if the PC books were slabbed directly by Robert Roter, then they likely have the PC sticker on them. If the PC books were slabbed directly by others (either by Tom Hanlin, who bought raw books directly from the PC OO, or by collectors who bought raw books from Roter), then they don`t have the PC sticker on them.

My buddy has the FF 13 that he bought raw from Roter. It has the sticker on the mylar with another sticker that has Roter's numerical designation for grade and PQ....all for the princely sum of $ 600. GOD BLESS...

I was just looking at an old CBM with that book advertised. Definitely some deals to be had.

In retrospect, yes. But at the time, the prices were incredibly aggressive, especially for the Marvels, particularly when combined with skepticism that the books were really as high grade as advertised. Even higher than Marnin`s asking prices on the Mass books, which was pretty astounding at the time.

If I recall, it was only when a few well-known collectors went to see the books in person and confirmed they were as good as advertised that they started flying off the shelves, even at the listed prices.

In retrospect, yes. But at the time, the prices were incredibly aggressive, especially for the Marvels, particularly when combined with skepticism that the books were really as high grade as advertised. Even higher than Marnin`s asking prices on the Mass books, which was pretty astounding at the time.

If I recall, it was only when a few well-known collectors went to see the books in person and confirmed they were as good as advertised that they started flying off the shelves, even at the listed prices.

Yeah, obviously in retrospect. Hell, there were a few books in the ad that would still be overpriced today!

I did get a chance to see one or two of adamstrange's pre-superhero WMs in Baltimore. The page quality was excellent and the colors were very very nice.

It's very hard to find copies of pre-hero books that match the WMs for page quality, color and gloss.

And that's why it's my favorite SA ped (thumbs u

I believe the first PC FF was # 4. Here's a picture of my buddy's 13...still in the same mylar that Roter sent it in. We were worried that it might have been overgraded since we didn't know much about him. He called it a VF/NM and the only real problem was a few very small tears on the bottom of the back cover. He as very happy with it. It would probably get at least an 8.5 from CGC. At 600 it was VERY pricey at the time, probably 1.5 to 2 X guide....but nice 13's were IMPOSSIBLE to find back then. GOD BLESS...

FF13PC2.jpg

FF13PC1.jpg

P.S. My buddy's turned down my offer of a CGC 8.5 # 13 PLUS 800 bucks for his PC.

Does anybody know the timeline of for each silver age pedigree? I think I read on these boards that White Mountains started in the golden age and ended around 1964\65, but what about the other pedigrees?

Pretty sure White Mountain continued past 1965 as I've seen a WM copy of Spidey #120, a Bronze book.

Curator began in the early Silver Age and continued into the 1980s, and it did contain extensive runs of both DC and Marvel. The original owner also had a big Golden Age collection, but he was a convention goer and assembled his Golden Age books from stores and shows.

What about Bostons, Northlands, and Mass?

Not sure about those, but the latest curators and Don Rosas i have are from 1989 and the last Winninpeg i have is from 1983. If that helps.

Does anybody know the timeline of for each silver age pedigree? I think I read on these boards that White Mountains started in the golden age and ended around 1964\65, but what about the other pedigrees?

Pretty sure White Mountain continued past 1965 as I've seen a WM copy of Spidey #120, a Bronze book.

Curator began in the early Silver Age and continued into the 1980s, and it did contain extensive runs of both DC and Marvel. The original owner also had a big Golden Age collection, but he was a convention goer and assembled his Golden Age books from stores and shows.

Re: to the WMs running into the '70s...The only White Mountain I own is an ASM #123 (1973).

This is my only White Mountain copy label says 10/73, it would be interesting to find out the last issue/date for this pedigree run. hm

13wmlabel.jpg

This is my only White Mountain copy label says 10/73, it would be interesting to find out the last issue/date for this pedigree run. hm

13wmlabel.jpg

The WM's run into the 80's as well but when I spoke with Jerry Weist (RIP) last he said at the time he didn't bother with the newer stuff as it had very little value at the time.

Jim

This thread has been interesting...first time I have ever seen a list that doesn't include the WM's in the top three.

How the mighty have fallen.

Jim

That only holds true when you're considering SA superhero books. The WM collection destroys the others when you factor in the Atlas, pre-hero, and DC stuff.

(thumbs u

I enjoyed reading through this thread as well...now that the Curator FF's are out there and the Twin Cities pedigree is worthy of a Top 10 pedigree designation, it's fun to see how things in this arena bob and weave.

I just picked up my very first Pacific Coast FF, too...awfully nice, but not better than the Mass copy I have, either...hard to compare individual issues on these collections; the entire runs need to be considered. I wish I had more experience with all of them.

Dan

This thread was started before the big influx of pedigree collections we have witnessed over the past couple years. It was fun to reread it all. I'll still put the Curator collection near the top of any SA pedigree list for freshness and page quality but based on cover colors, the Twin Cities books rival anything I've seen. I'd put Twin Cities on a par with the Mass pedigree.

This thread was started before the big influx of pedigree collections we have witnessed over the past couple years. It was fun to reread it all. I'll still put the Curator collection near the top of any SA pedigree list for freshness and page quality but based on cover colors, the Twin Cities books rival anything I've seen. I'd put Twin Cities on a par with the Mass pedigree.

+1

As for the top SA Marvel pedigrees, it's hard to argue with the incredible structural quality and centering of the Pac Coast runs. Still, if the quality of the paper has primacy, then the Curator books stand above all others. What strikes me about the Curator FFs is the singular preservation of the paper and inks. The covers are the whitest I've seen by far, and the inks are rich and bright.

Check out what I mean by comparing the Curator copy (right) with another high grade example of FF26: same scanner and image processing settings.

FF26comparison-2.jpg

Great comparison of the #26, Bob -- I'd say Curator and Pacific Coast at the top of the SA for quality and breadth, with the Mass, TC, and WM all grouped together next -- if one can excuse the various dust/sun shadows on some Twin Cities books. Northland not far behind, either, as some of those are super sharp.

D