• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"James Carter" of Mars (Princess of Mars cover recreation)

2 posts in this topic

Drew Gilbert, an artist friend of mine, is running a crazy race before his son's born, and instead of just taking donations for the charity he's working with, he decided to offer his talents for those who donate.

Typically, he's taking a photograph and "painting" it to give it that comic book look and feel, or placing the people in the photo over some exotic background. I asked him to do a little more. I'm a huge John Carter of Mars fan, so I asked him to recreate the A Princess of Mars cover art using my wife as Dejah Thoris and myself as John Carter.

Original:

173146820_81f2436222.jpg

Recreation:

jamesCarterofMars_sm.jpg

Here's his site that has links to videos he made while he was working on the piece as well as other illustrations he's done: http://drewgilbert.com/2009/10/28/portrait-special-order-james-powell-of-mars/

Wow!!!

The Michael Whelan cover to that book brings back such amazing memories from my youth!!

I see why you chose it!

Mr Gilbert did an awesome job!! That is so cool!!