• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whats the best method to remove ink from comic book cover?

26 posts in this topic

I actually have a similar question. Saw this thread first though. I bought this book because it's an affordable copy and even though it's missing the Value Stamp (which I'm totally okay with) I think I'd like to see about getting this writing removed from the cover or selling the book off.

!B,2V7g!!Wk~$(KGrHgoOKjwEjlLmV5FdBKtUg)O4wg~~_3.JPG

I actually have a similar question. Saw this thread first though. I bought this book because it's an affordable copy and even though it's missing the Value Stamp (which I'm totally okay with) I think I'd like to see about getting this writing removed from the cover or selling the book off.

Hey, I would love to talk removal idea's but there is a catch. There is a good chance removing the ink from the colored area's will require CT. Then you would have a 1.5 PLOD at best since the stamp is missing. I recommend you leave it alone.

Hey, I would love to talk removal idea's but there is a catch. There is a good chance removing the ink from the colored area's will require CT. Then you would have a 1.5 PLOD at best since the stamp is missing. I recommend you leave it alone.

Cool book. Any chance you're able to read everything that was written on the book? (It looks like Hulk is saying "Hulk Mad Man Pea on Hulk's Leg")...

Experimenting is right. :eek:

Depending on the era, manufacturer, type of pen and how long it has been there dictates whether or not it is even advisable to attempt ink removal. BA, SA comic covers simply do not hold up well to ink removal and should be left as is unless testing shows it will lift easily. Or is isolated to a white area.

I cut this cover in half and soaked the top portion briefly to see how it affected the overall tanning. On the bottom half I cut out and removed a section around Wendy's face because somebody put dozens of freckles on it.

This piece I soaked for quite awhile just to see what would happen. As you can see it removed the freckles, as well as ALL of the majenta ink!! ( which is the first color to go when exposed to solvents.)

But surprisingly everything else held up pretty well. hm

wendycoferafar11.jpg

Depending on the era, manufacturer, type of pen and how long it has been there dictates whether or not it is even advisable to attempt ink removal. BA, SA comic covers simply do not hold up well to ink removal and should be left as is unless testing shows it will lift easily. Or is isolated to a white area.

I cut this cover in half and soaked the top portion briefly to see how it affected the overall tanning. On the bottom half I cut out and removed a section around Wendy's face because somebody put dozens of freckles on it.

This piece I soaked for quite awhile just to see what would happen. As you can see it removed the freckles, as well as ALL of the majenta ink!! ( which is the first color to go when exposed to solvents.)

wendycoferafar11.jpg

The top half looks much improved except the brown on the stock of the rifle. There always seems to be a compromise when whitening the cover. As far as ink removal goes I have been focusing on exsposing the inked area only with a brush to the solvent followed by a full rinse. I haven't gotten any consistant results though. Here is one of my better experiments on whitening but to be honest it's really a shot for me on this as well.

Scan0001-1.jpg

Scan0003-1.jpg

wendycoferafar11.jpg

So to do what you do, you have to remove the cover from the book?