• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collecting things other then comics.

891 posts in this topic

I'm actively collecting:

Japanese movie posters from 1972 - 1976 featuring girl gangs

Japanese female pop vocal 45rpm singles 1965 - 1970

Jamaican reggae original pressing 45rpm singles

1950s American exotica LPs

Comic and comic strip art

Non-comic art

First editions, particularly Pynchon, Vonnegut, Bartheleme, Irving, Boyle, Hiassen, Peter Carey, Helprin, Bradbury, Lethem, Leyner, Aylett, Farmer...

Books signed by iconic figures like Mickey Mantle, Groucho & Harpo Marx, Dali...

Books by or illustrated by Dali

Books and ephemera written or illustrated by Ralph Steadman (at 250+ items, maybe the largest such collection)

Antique toys... :cloud9: particularly comic character-based tin windups.

Platinum-age books and books illustrated by comic artists.

Weird stuff (though the janitor at my office threw away my mutant food collection :( )

Funny you mention the mutant food collection.

I collected dried fruit and Vegetables for a few years. Any and all veggies and fruit I would set outside to dry then I would bring it in and put it on a shelve. I had literally dozens of different types. No clue why I had the compulsion to do this, I finally just threw them all away! I think I realized this could become a problem for me at some point, as my three sons may use this as a reason to send me away in my older years.

It was things like animal crackers in compromising positions, gummi bears with tails, etc. I came in one Monday and they were gone--I had to assume the janitor was the culprit. At least I didn't have anything valuable in that collection like a Jesus tortilla or a Virgin Mary Eggo.

Non-comic art

First editions, particularly Pynchon, Vonnegut, Bartheleme, Irving, Boyle, Hiassen, Peter Carey, Helprin, Bradbury, Lethem, Leyner, Aylett, Farmer...

Books signed by iconic figures like Mickey Mantle, Groucho & Harpo Marx, Dali...

Books and ephemera written or illustrated by Ralph Steadman (at 250+ items, maybe the largest such collection)

Weird stuff (though the janitor at my office threw away my mutant food collection :( )

Funny you mention the mutant food collection.

I collected dried fruit and Vegetables for a few years. Any and all veggies and fruit I would set outside to dry then I would bring it in and put it on a shelve. I had literally dozens of different types. No clue why I had the compulsion to do this, I finally just threw them all away! I think I realized this could become a problem for me at some point, as my three sons may use this as a reason to send me away in my older years.

It was things like animal crackers in compromising positions, gummi bears with tails, etc. I came in one Monday and they were gone--I had to assume the janitor was the culprit. At least I didn't have anything valuable in that collection like a Jesus tortilla or a Virgin Mary Eggo.

You should be locked up! :baiting:

I collect too many things. I guess not getting married until I was 31 and never drinking or other things left me with some money to spend on my Three C's : Comics, Cars and Coins.

Plus I have my fossil collection from when I was younger, also stamps, all kinds of relics I found metal detecting, Cartoon drinking glasses and few other things I cannot think of at the moment.

Non-comic art

Please do post some of the antique toys if you can! :applause:

I collect the Following

Star Wars and some GI-JOE Vintage Action Figures

Marvel Universe Action Figures

Battlestar Galactica New Figures

Transformers Vintage

Certain Statues from Star Wars and Comics I like

Comics

Coins & Historical News paper

and last but not least this is my 1957 Chevy Belair Convertible totally restored all original

88739.jpg.e0e27c0c822fae62193afefa7302281f.jpg

I'll scan in a whole bunch of other unique items when I can but here are two JFK assassination items. The first is Oswald's Marine discharge form signed by him and the second is one of several Warren Commission sets I have owned. Still very difficult to come by even today.

LHODischarge.jpg

E-Bay-2nd-set.jpg

I collect the Following

Star Wars and some GI-JOE Vintage Action Figures

Marvel Universe Action Figures

Battlestar Galactica New Figures

Transformers Vintage

Certain Statues from Star Wars and Comics I like

Comics

Coins & Historical News paper

and last but not least this is my 1957 Chevy Belair Convertible totally restored all original

Who are the headlights for your car? :cool:

I'll scan in a whole bunch of other unique items when I can but here are two JFK assassination items. The first is Oswald's Marine discharge form signed by him and the second is one of several Warren Commission sets I have owned. Still very difficult to come by even today.

LHODischarge.jpg

E-Bay-2nd-set.jpg

You have some very neat things! (worship)

older HENRY ROLLINS books :preach:

Very cool! Rollins is so awesome!

Other than the occassional comic:

Children's books (mostly Golden Books, Dr. Suess, pre-1950s stuff)

guitars & effects pedals

records and cds

old plastic army men (marx, etc)

concert posters & flyers

anything by the poet Steven Jesse Bernstein

when I was a kid:

coins

baseball cards

stamps

postcards

Non-comic art

Please do post some of the antique toys if you can! :applause:

I posted them recently here Old toys in the pop culture thread

By the way, that Kennedy stuff is ridiculously cool! :applause::o:applause:

First Edition leather bound fantasy books (such as A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin and Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan).

*AHEM* Coins :blush: - mostly US gold, but I have some silver eagles and world coins as well.

Besides comics I collect political memorabilia, First edition Books, , books on the paranormal, cryptozoology, alternative history theories, antique family bibles, old maps I could go on and on. If it is strange or weird I will snag it.

LHODischarge.jpg

E-Bay-2nd-set.jpg

You have some very neat things! (worship)

Thats pretty cool :cool:

Besides comics I collect:

old toys, action figures and related memorabilia (company catalogs, promo posters, etc.)

cereal premiums, boxes and some advertising figures

original artwork for paper dolls, magazines, comics, toys, etc.

kappa (Japanese cryptozoological beasties)

older Dungeons & Dragons and other TSR items

classic video games (used to be way more into this - even wrote a book on it!)

I will post some pics when I get my new toy room all set up.

If anyone cares - some older pics are here...

www.flickr.com/photos/billygalaxy/sets/72157603420252199/

older HENRY ROLLINS books :preach:

Very cool! Rollins is so awesome!

Other than the occassional comic:

Children's books (mostly Golden Books, Dr. Suess, pre-1950s stuff)

guitars & effects pedals

records and cds

old plastic army men (marx, etc)

concert posters & flyers

anything by the poet Steven Jesse Bernstein

when I was a kid:

coins

baseball cards

stamps

postcards

Bernstein is great, I have some spoken word stuff of his that Sub Pop put out a long time ago. Didn't he stab himself to death with an icepick in the neck?