• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collecting things other then comics.

891 posts in this topic

Here are some of the collectibles I have other than comics for my someday comic room. :)

Early 40's Superman Bread card with the coupon. I hope to collect all 8 someday.

Supermanbreadcardfront.jpg

Supermanbreadcardback.jpg

A couple of vintage spinner racks!

promotionalcomicsSpinnerracks015.jpg

1942 Superman book with the dust jacket!

Supermanbook1942001.jpg

Solid porcelain Action Comics #1 scupture!

Actioncomics1sculptureand003.jpg

Actioncomics1sculptureand002.jpg

2 ounce pure silver Superman coin!

Superman2ouncesilver50thanncoin002.jpg

Action Comics #62 clock!

comicclock002.jpg

Superman #14 statue!

SupermanstatuefromNOD002.jpg

Signed Jerry Siegel, Joe Shuster and Kirk Alyn signed paper with a copy of Action #1 and Superman #1 reprints

in a 34x22 frame with a triple acid-free matting (colors: Blue, Black, and White), Smokey black frame, and

high quality light reflective glass (this reduces an fading to the memoribillia from natural light) . W/COA from James Spence!

signedSSframed.jpg

classic video games (used to be way more into this - even wrote a book on it!)

what's the book?

"collecting classic video games" from schiffer publishing

several years old at this point and there are better books out now, but that was probably the first book on the subject that was not somebody self-publishing.

American science fiction and mystery first edition hardcovers in jacket. Heinlein in particular is a favorite from the SF side, along with Robert B Parker from the Mystery side.

classic video games (used to be way more into this - even wrote a book on it!)

what's the book?

"collecting classic video games" from schiffer publishing

several years old at this point and there are better books out now, but that was probably the first book on the subject that was not somebody self-publishing.

nice, will have to check that out one day

Well I can certainly contribute to this discussion.

The things I collect:

Bug stuff-yes really, I've been collecting these for years. I find insects fascinating. I have books (and yes I read them), antique and vintage prints, several bugs in cases and my personal favorite is a pair of hand blown glass beetles, one is a really cool rhinoceros beetle.

Vintage purses-all sorts and I'm currently looking for vintage 70's bags. Also an Enid Collins.

Vintage jewelry-all years ranging from victorian-70's. My favorites are butterfly wing pendants from the 20's and this 70's home made necklace made out of paperclips and brown and black fuzzy wallpaper (it's not the most attractive piece but it sure makes me smile) ;)

Boxes- don't laugh, I love them! My favorites are ladies' cigarette boxes from the 40's-50's. They have lovely hand sculpted flowers on top and I use them for my jewelry. I have a nifty black lacquer and silver snuff box and various others.

Art glass-Bo Borgstroms are my favorite.

Bird stuff-prints, paintings, pictures (the mad bluebird is hilarious) and my favorite is a wooden carved toucan with a nut in it's mouth that my friend Shannon bought for me years ago on a trip. It was carved by a fingerless leper.

Lastly I collect the gift droppings left by my sweet little dog when we go for walks :D

Hmmmm? Where to start....

I collect 18th and 19th century primitive furniture and other things considered "primitive". (Crocks, weathervanes, carvings, etc.)

Richmond, VA advertising. (At least 50-years old to qualify.)

Early Cracker-Jack toys.

Early Tools

19th Century Apothecary items. (Just handblown glass items mostly... )

And...

Credit Card debt!

Just a small sampling of the CDVs (Carte de Vistes) I own of John Wilkes Booth, the assassin of President Lincoln.

JWB-CDVs.jpg

I have a large Lincoln assassination collection including CDVs, books, pamphlets, letters, postcards, etc. It was my interest in this period of history that led me to represent the Booth family in the 1990s (and still now actually) in an unsuccessful four day trial effort to exhume the alleged remains of JWB from Greenmount Cemetery in Baltimore, MD. The issue was whether or not the remains are actually that of JWB. Although we had the support of the Smithsonian, the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology and the MD State Medical Examiner, the Cemetery opposed the effort. A fascinating experience nonetheless.

If anyone is interested in this issue, the Discovery Channel, I believe, is airing a program on Tuesday, November 10, 2009, on JWB and a couple of my clients were interviewed.