• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Impossibles

358 posts in this topic

Unless the CGC comes up with a slab that can handle a 1038 page hardbound novel, Stephen King won't happen during this round. Looks like I'll have to wait for his next book to come out to try again.

100_2409.jpg

...For anyone curious, the book was laid in front of him ready to sign. He politely slid it back to me and just said "no". I was told he turned down elderly people who traveled hundreds of miles and waited for about 9 hours, so I don't feel so bad.

Obama will be tough while he's in office...much more attainable when he's out (as with any President). However, I may have a loose possibility in late 2011 or early 2012. It's a ways off, but I'm open to any earlier opportunities as I'd love an Obama SS.

Hey Adam, were you in Maryland for this?

I was there, didn't see you if you were...I hung out with Solar all day, who drove in from DE!

Hey Adam, were you in Maryland for this?

I was there, didn't see you if you were...I hung out with Solar all day, who drove in from DE!

Nope, I was in Atlanta on Friday for the signing there. As far as I know, Sally and I were the only board members there.

For right now, John Carpenter could be on the list. However, assuming no unexpected cancellations, that will change in May 2010.

You are right Triston,

Untill he was added to the TX frightmare weekend guest list He would have made the impossibles list. But He will only go back on the list if he cancels. Hopefully by then a few of the impossibles will have signed at least one SS item for somebody (other than their editor) making it possible to remove them from the list.

Guys remember Only Guys that can sign a comic, Playboy, or Sports Illustrated. Oh and guys that are only truly impossible not people like muhammad ali who dispite his medical condition can and does sign just not that much anymore.

I will add one more to the list.

7. Bill Mantlo Due to health conditions because of a Rollerblading/ car accident in 1990 Mr. Mantlo is unable to sign autographs. He is not paralized but the his mental health state prevents this in my mind. Even though according to some I am Despicable I have chosen not to bother this TRULY ill man and I insist that all others do the same.

On the flip side of the token Mr. Mantlo has very expensive medical bills. I urge every SS witness and SS collector to contact Bill's brother (he is his personal gaurdian) And find out where you can send a dollar or more (I will leave it up to each person) and a well wish/thanks for all the great comics card. This creator could truly use the support and admiration.

Unless the CGC comes up with a slab that can handle a 1038 page hardbound novel, Stephen King won't happen during this round. Looks like I'll have to wait for his next book to come out to try again.

100_2409.jpg

...For anyone curious, the book was laid in front of him ready to sign. He politely slid it back to me and just said "no". I was told he turned down elderly people who traveled hundreds of miles and waited for about 9 hours, so I don't feel so bad.

Why is he so adamantly against signing a comic?

100_2409.jpg

He heard about Kris Moore bothering Ditko and said enough is enough...

will never sign a comic again...

I can't say 100% for sure, but part of the reason was that both Mr. King and Barnes & Noble wanted to keep the line moving so everyone could get a signed book within a decent amount of time (which they did very effectively). Some people in line had stacks of books they wanted signed and would talk to him all day if they could. One girl started hyperventilating because he shook her hand.

I've also heard that he's very much against idolatry. While I've heard that he has signed books, I'm told he won't sign a photo of himself and wants that kind of thing left to Hollywood. The same may apply to most books and maybe he's against signatures in general but will do it in order to promote the newest book. Of course this is only conjecture.

In this instance, time didn't seem like the issue as Sally and I were able to get through the line twice and be on the road home within 90 minutes of the start of the signing.

Rich, were you able to get anything other than the new book signed?

Since he's out of office now, would George W. Bush be an attainable goal or would he be a suitable addition to this list. While he may be accessible for a signing in the coming years, I think the question is would he be willing to sign since more often than not he's made out as a caricature on the covers. Thoughts?

I think W would get a chuckle out of some of the covers, and don't think he would refuse if the cover had a caricature of him on it.

BTW, I have LOTS of W autographs, but they're all on boring legal documents from when he was Governor of Texas that I don't think anyone would have any particular interest in.

Not really but I never mind getting the signature of an american president. My Grandfather got to work security for ronald reagan when he was president and got an autograph. No he was not secret service He was just hotel security when reagan visited dallas. Political figures are some of the hardest people to obtain signatures from.