• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your Copper Pride & Joy

1,863 posts in this topic

Ok, so when these sorts of threads get posted in General, the thread gets overrun with gorgeous books worth 10's of thousands of dollars that most of us who favor Copper will never own.

BUT....unbeknownst to many in the hobby, there are quite a few hidden jewels in the Copper Age of comics that are, in fact, quite scarce and quite hard to come by....for example, if we say Copper begins at 1980:

Whitman 3 Pack books

Amethyst #1, #2 35 cent variants

Cry for Dawn #3 HorrorCon Variant (which I've only ever seen pictures of)

The Tick #2 Uncut (only 200 copies made; given to NEC employees and friends)

Sandman #8 Karen Berger variant

And these items, though they don't get a lot of press, are still incredibly difficult to track down, and can end up costing substantially more than our regular brethren.

So....I'll start with mine:

Dark Knight Returns Hardcover signed & numbered A/P (one of 50 copies given to Miller, Varley, Jansen, and DC staffers.)

IMG_2408.jpg

IMG_2410.jpg

Happy, happy day when that arrived. Cost me a pretty penny, and worth twice the price. :cloud9:

Definitely the pride and joy of my Copper collection, though my Tick #2 uncut comes a close second.

So, post yours! Now, this doesn't have to be limited to the ultra-rare...just make it be from roughly 1980-ish to about 1992-ish. No other limitations; can be a single item, a run, whatever. Fair enough?

Sweet topic for a thread. I am always hustling for new Copper books to add. I have a couple of 1st Mr. Monster books that are at CGC right now that might qualify . . .

But for right now, my final answer is a work in progress. I am going with my DHP "run." I have decided to try and track down exceptional examples of my favorite 1st apps and other semi-key books from the DHP series. I will get as many of them SS'd as is reasonable. Right now I have a 9.8 10 and 24 Blue label. Also a 9.8 Annual with the 1st Buffy and a sweet 157 early Goon app SS 9.6. I have a delicious DHP 20 with early Doug Mahnke art at CGC right now. :cloud9:

Need to do some work on the Concrete books and the Sin City books. While there are some duds in the run, it truly was a visionary and important Copper Anthology title.

I will edit with some pics ASAP.

Beautiful. I bet the marker bleedthrough from the old sigs hurt the grade, but who cares. That book is awesome.

Possibly, but I don't think so. It had some back cover issues. Spine tics mainly. Still, I really wanted the triple sig. Grade wasn't the most important thing.

Ironically, the two names in marker are Andy and Adam Kubert when I met them at a show a few years ago.

I won't have this copy forever but for now it's :cloud9:

groopacific1cgc98-f.jpg

You're Good People! (thumbs u

:blush:

Oh, and I think we know who has another one of these scarce 9.8s, don't we? :shy:

Was discussing value of this book with someone via PM. I see that the Registry says 160 points for this book. What do you think it's worth on the market?

I won't have this copy forever but for now it's :cloud9:

groopacific1cgc98-f.jpg

You're Good People! (thumbs u

:blush:

Oh, and I think we know who has another one of these scarce 9.8s, don't we? :shy:

Was discussing value of this book with someone via PM. I see that the Registry says 160 points for this book. What do you think it's worth on the market?

I sent in TWO copies in my last pre-screen, and they both failed. Bah!

Like most copper X-Men fans, I am a big fan of Paul Smith. So, when he was at Emerald City earlier this year I decided to take a chance and get him to sign my entire run of his X-Men books. I previously posted them in the copper X-Men thread but what the heck, here they are again:

th_UncannyX-Men165CGC98WSSSmith.jpgth_UncannyX-Men166CGC98WSSSmith.jpgth_UncannyX-Men167CGC98WSSSmith.jpgth_UncannyX-Men168CGC98WSSSmith.jpgth_UncannyX-Men169CGC98WSSSmith.jpg

th_UncannyX-Men170CGC98WSSSmith.jpgth_UncannyX-Men172CGC98WSSSmith.jpgth_UncannyX-Men173CGC98WSSSmith.jpgth_UncannyX-Men174CGC98WSSSmith.jpgth_UncannyX-Men175CGC98WSSSmith.jpg