• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your Copper Pride & Joy

1,863 posts in this topic

Like my bud Archon, I have to go with my 2 Gooks as my pride and joy (both signed by Kevin). Also pictured are a couple other rarieties, notably a Silver Turtlemania and a hardcover Challenges (which seems to NEVER come up).

IMG_1520.jpg

I didn't even know there was a hardcover for Challenges. hm Oh yeah, great books. :applause:

Very Nice, Danny! After seeing your 9.0 on ebay, I figured it had to be you who picked up the nice 9.2 a few weeks back.

Nice collection!

Very Nice, Danny! After seeing your 9.0 on ebay, I figured it had to be you who picked up the nice 9.2 a few weeks back.

Nice collection!

(thumbs u

Yep, finally got the upgrade I was looking for!

WHOAAAAAA!

Is that the full comic with no cover?

It's what they call a Dylux, or Blueline Proof.

They are printed as a test of the positions and layout prior to the actual (full-color) printing of the comics.

It's always possible that the printers made more than one of these,

but generally these are considered one-of-a-kind production pieces.

(That is, unless they've been lost forever... most of these probably got trashed.)

The cover isn't part of the Dylux/Blueline process... so it's "coverless" but 100% complete.

That one is Turok #130, the final issue of the original series (1982).

I just received the previously-shown Tick # 2 (uncut), CGC 9.0 Signature Series in the mail from SlinginWeb.

Definitely the pinnacle of my Tick Collection (recall I've got a 9.2 SE # 1, a 9.4 SE # 2, and a raw regular # 1 signed by Edlund). For those of you who know me--I completed my first raw 1-8 first print collection by actually going to New England Comics in Boston in 1994. And it took me years (and Ebay) to finally track down the Special Editions and Uncut # 2.

I'd also like to think I'm partially responsible for CGC slabbing oversized magazines, as I specifically inquired whether they could slab the Special Editions a few years ago at one of the Wizard World Philly Cons, and the answer at that time was no.

I have never heard of those gobbledygook books. are they from before tmnt #1?

I *believe* Gobbledygook took place between TMNT 3 & 4 or 4 & 5--I don't remember exactly. And from what I recall, they're loosely related in storyline though Gobbledygook is less TMNT-centric and I *believe* has a robot for the character. I haven't read them since not long after they came out WAY back when, so my apologies for being a bit rusty.

And for what it's worth... I'll be picking up my Copper Age P&J tomorrow AM from the post office! :whee:

Yep, the first books that Eastman & Laird worked on together. The back cover features an ad for TMNT #1 - many consider it the first appearance of the TMNT, thus one of the major reasons why they are so pricey.They were limited to only 50 copies each.

I *believe* Gobbledygook took place between TMNT 3 & 4 or 4 & 5--I don't remember exactly. And from what I recall, they're loosely related in storyline though Gobbledygook is less TMNT-centric and I *believe* has a robot for the character. I haven't read them since not long after they came out WAY back when, so my apologies for being a bit rusty.

And for what it's worth... I'll be picking up my Copper Age P&J tomorrow AM from the post office! :whee:

let me clear things up a bit. IIRC:

The story in Gooks 1 & 2 takes place between 4 & 5 but was published before #1. There is no tmnt appearance at all in gooks 1 & 2. The lead character is fugitoid. The only tmnt connections are a) the eastman & laird team and b) an ad for tmnt 1.

The later fugitoid one-shot magazine size book is a reprint of gooks 1 &2 (covering the first chapters of the fugitoid story) plus some new pages concluding the story.

The fugitoid one-shot does not, however, reprint the non-story pages of gooks 1 & 2 (very cool full page drawings of monsters, aliens, etc).

Yep, the first books that Eastman & Laird worked on together. The back cover features an ad for TMNT #1 - many consider it the first appearance of the TMNT, thus one of the major reasons why they are so pricey.They were limited to only 50 copies each.

The first appearance thing is one of those incorrect stories passed around fandom so long it almost becomes true. Its ridiculous to call them the first appearance of TMNT; its like saying Tec 26 is the first appearance of batman. They are incredibly cool books, rare as all hell, and the cornerstones of anybody's copper collection, but they are not tmnt first appearances.

The first appearance thing is one of those incorrect stories passed around fandom so long it almost becomes true. Its ridiculous to call them the first appearance of TMNT; its like saying Tec 26 is the first appearance of batman. They are incredibly cool books, rare as all hell, and the cornerstones of anybody's copper collection, but they are not tmnt first appearances.

I dunno if I'm in the camp that calls it incorrect. Before the Gobbledygooks, there was never a published image of them. For me, thats first appearance. Regardless, I think it's just one of those things where it's commonly accepted in the fandom, akin to maybe Hulk 181, etc. as I simply don't know any TMNT collector who does not dream of owning these copies, and not because they are rare, or are an Eastman & Laird collaboration, or feature the Fugitoid. But simply because of that back cover ad.

an ad image is not the same as an appearance (in the story). If someone wants to call it the first published tmnt image well yes I guess it is. But it sure isn't an appearance, cameo or otherwise. This isn't a hulk 180/181 scenario. Those are both story appearances, one is just a cameo. This is a Tec 26, More Fun 51 type scenario. Not even a story appearance. Less than a cameo.

Dreaming about owning them doesn't change facts. Having only owned a counterfeit set in the past, I'd love to own a real set. Love to. I might even dream about it ;) But my love for them wouldn't magically make them the first appearance (shrug) . You seem to think I'm trying to tear them down, I'm not. the gooks and tmnt 1 would be in my top 10 80s books to own. maybe top five. I can't overstate what cool books I think they are.

but they are what they are, and tmnt first appearances they are not, except in the very limited sense you've described ('first image'). Any turtles collector who shells out a lot of money for them thinking they are going to get the first turtles story is going to be highly disappointed.

The more educated buyer who knows what he is and isn't getting will be extremely happy with them.

I know you're not trying to tear them down, not at all. :foryou:

And yes, its not like hulk 180 in the sense that that takes place in the actual story. But for ME at least, I wanted the Gobbledys becasue they were the first appearance, first image in a published format. Yes, I know that first images of other characters can go for peanuts compared to first actual story. But for me, I wanted the books where the Turtles were first seen - wether in the actual story or not. I think any collector who is shelling out alot of money for them will know exactly what they are getting - a full back cover ad/image of TMNT #1, the first such image in a published format.

but they are what they are, and tmnt first appearances they are not, except in the very limited sense you've described ('first image').

And I guess thats my point. If even in the remotest sense its a first appearance, then for me at least, it IS a first appearance. Sort of like a little lie is a still a lie. I don't know- maybe I'm just a weirdo!