• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your Copper Pride & Joy

1,863 posts in this topic

Also, do you think that by themselves, if they did not have that back cover, they would be so coveted and be considered one of the top books of the Copper Age?

Beside the point. The fact they are coveted doesn't make them first appearances.

I do wonder how coveted they would be if in the past guides they had been described as 'first ad' instead of 'first appearance'. To take your 'lie' analogy one step further, a lie believed by enough people becomes the truth.

For my part, I absolutely think they would be less coveted today if they had been correctly described then. And yet, what a shame that would have been. They SHOULD be coveted highly.

Back when I was hunting copies I bought a counterfeit set thinking a) that it was real and b) that it was the first turtles appearance. I was disappointed it was ad only, but at the same time I was excited with the content and happy that the "lie" made me seek out the books, because they were unreal books that I ended up being very happy to own, just for reasons different than why I thought I was going to enjoy them. The amazing art, amazing early laird & eastman colloboration, the rarity (even if they were counterfeit), and a very nice back cover ad to boot! ;)

Also, do you think that by themselves, if they did not have that back cover, they would be so coveted and be considered one of the top books of the Copper Age?

Beside the point. The fact they are coveted doesn't make them first appearances.

I do wonder how coveted they would be if in the past guides they had been described as 'first ad' instead of 'first appearance'. To take your 'lie' analogy one step further, a lie believed by enough people becomes the truth.

I know that just becuase they are coveted does not make them first appearances. I was merely wondering if you thought the value of the book was so high becuase of its contents or because of the back cover.

And truth is only truth until it is discoverd to be a lie. So now what? :insane:

I can definately see how you could have been disappointed if you went into those books thinking you were getting a story. I guess for me, I knew exactly what I was getting, and why I was getting it, so my experience was a bit diifferent.

You are right, that the GGs do have some cool stories and neat art in them. Other pre-tmnt Eastman & Laird publications (such as Scat #1,2) also have some cool art, though command barely a fraction of what GGs bring. And yes, maybe if early on the first appearance had been listed another way, things would be different now. But the same can be said for some of other books we've been chatting about Hulk #180, etc. Makes you wonder how they figured stuff like this out in the past and what made them list them the way they did, with this title and others.

I know that just becuase they are coveted does not make them first appearances. I was merely wondering if you thought the value of the book was so high becuase of its contents or because of the back cover.

And truth is only truth until it is discoverd to be a lie. So now what? :insane:

you just blew my mind lol

I was merely wondering if you thought the value of the book was so high becuase of its contents or because of the back cover.

Naturally I agree the value would be less without the back cover.

Now, do you want to sell me your copies, or what? :insane: Congrats on the gooks and on the new art. I enjoy your new acquisition posts a lot.

I have never heard of those gobbledygook books. are they from before tmnt #1?

Yep, the first books that Eastman & Laird worked on together. The back cover features an ad for TMNT #1 - many consider it the first appearance of the TMNT, thus one of the major reasons why they are so pricey.They were limited to only 50 copies each.

wow, i guess i can count myself out on that one :)

cool books though. i have a thing for black and white covers

Similarly, I consider the Megaton Special to be Youngblood's first appearance, although it's only a two page ad that shows a few members of the "away" team. Arguably, it's just an ad--character designs for characters Liefeld revisited 7-8 years later. But it's at the end of the day, it's just an ad.

Mine can't stand up to some of the other books posted in the thread, but for now they are my CA pride and joy. First three we're purchased at close to cover price.

Already posted a few times.

Megaton_3.JPG

Daredevil_168.JPG

Amazing_Spider_Man_300.JPG

Signed by Perez

4.JPG

Mine can't stand up to some of the other books posted in the thread, but for now they are my CA pride and joy. First three we're purchased at close to cover price.

You've got nothing to worry about in assuming these cannot stand up to other books.

They're your books - be proud of them.

You've got nothing to worry about in assuming these cannot stand up to other books.

They're your books - be proud of them.

(thumbs u

Sweet topic for a thread. I am always hustling for new Copper books to add. I have a couple of 1st Mr. Monster books that are at CGC right now that might qualify . . .

But for right now, my final answer is a work in progress. I am going with my DHP "run." I have decided to try and track down exceptional examples of my favorite 1st apps and other semi-key books from the DHP series. I will get as many of them SS'd as is reasonable. Right now I have a 9.8 10 and 24 Blue label. Also a 9.8 Annual with the 1st Buffy and a sweet 157 early Goon app SS 9.6. I have a delicious DHP 20 with early Doug Mahnke art at CGC right now. :cloud9:

Need to do some work on the Concrete books and the Sin City books. While there are some duds in the run, it truly was a visionary and important Copper Anthology title.

I will edit with some pics ASAP.

:popcorn: