• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spectacular Spidey 1 cover anyone?

11 posts in this topic

If only...

I do really get annoyed by 'To XXX' on original non-commissioned art though.

It's fine on commissions, as that is a personal arrangement between fan and artist, but on a piece like this it feels to me like graffiti or vandalism.

I saw something similar on Romita's classic splash page from ASM #50 - he's signed it to Mike Burkey. Sure he's the premier Romita collector out there, and probably has no intention of ever parting with it, but just because you own a page once doesn't give you the right to get it personalised by the artist.

In my humble opinion anyway...

In my humble opinion anyway...

I feel kinda the same way when I see a HG copy of a book like AF 15 with Stan Lee's ugly signature marring up the cover, but then I think to myself, "It's their book, they can do what they want with it"

Yeah, a unique piece of OA isn't the same as a comic book, but again it's theirs to do with as they please.

I'm a big fan of getting my comics signed--kept raw, but signed and most often on the cover. After all, I can typically get a new issue if I am unhappy with the signature. OA, however, is a different beast to me. I could probably understanding getting it signed on the back of the art but not on the actual art itself--margins or otherwise.

I've purchased commissioned pieces that other people originally had created for them and some of them are personalized. As long as it isn't intrusive, that's ok. But none are published. I don't know... I suppose if you plunk down the coin then it's your call, but I agree--don't sign on the art itself.

Very cool.

Interesting to see how they changed the perspective on the buildings below. In the original line drawing Spidey is climbing up the side of a building. In the painting it looks like he's on top of a building ledge.

http://cgi.ebay.com/JOHN-ROMITA-ROSENBAUM-SPEC-SPIDER-MAN-1-COVER-ART_W0QQitemZ310184015625QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4838687709

This is pretty cool, I prefer the painted No 2 cover myself. Nice to see the line art and painted cover together, though.

That is cool. I too prefer No 2 as well.

opinions on value? from my uneducated perspective I don't think its worth half the ask at auction. 30% of ask maybe?

Even less than 30% maybe? In my mind there are lots of detractions from this piece that curb the value:

- weak image

- line art doesn't match published

- stan was right.. perspective is awkward (although interesting) on the line art

- not part of the actual spidey run but a mag....

I.e. I think its priced like a "romita spidey cover" when its really a "cover of the spiderman character based on a weak design by romita and painted by somebody else"..... its just got so many things about it that I think would keep people away from spending the big bucks. But, I don't know bupkiss about romita market. Thoughts?