• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Favorite Alan Moore series or story arc

Favorite Alan Moore run series or story arc  

201 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Alan Moore run series or story arc

124 posts in this topic

Miracleman :preach:

All the others in your poll are excellent as well :whee:

I think my brother would agree with you on Miracleman :grin:

At least two people with good taste in the world. And you of course.

Your brother is SM, right?

For the record, I chose Swamp Thing.

It's the most evenly paced, calm, cerebral and LEAST self-indulgent of Moore's works.

I love Miracleman for different reasons, but you can tell it's earlier Moore, far more verbose, far more overbearing on words. As Moore went on he got better and better using an economy of words.

I will always take less words stated better over a ton of words that get you to the same place.

Swamp Thing is a perfect run. There was no pressure, no expectations of major characters like Superman or Batman or Joker. There was no massive crystalline plot structure to adhere to like Watchmen. It was simply Moore being allowed to explore the topics of life and death at his own pace is an a mesmerizing way.

Moore's Swamp Thing is one of the best written pieces of fiction in the last 100 years.

For the record, I chose Swamp Thing.

It's the most evenly paced, calm, cerebral and LEAST self-indulgent of Moore's works.

I love Miracleman for different reasons, but you can tell it's earlier Moore, far more verbose, far more overbearing on words. As Moore went on he got better and better using an economy of words.

I will always take less words stated better over a ton of words that get you to the same place.

Swamp Thing is a perfect run. There was no pressure, no expectations of major characters like Superman or Batman or Joker. There was no massive crystalline plot structure to adhere to like Watchmen. It was simply Moore being allowed to explore the topics of life and death at his own pace is an a mesmerizing way.

Moore's Swamp Thing is one of the best written pieces of fiction in the last 100 years.

I have not read all of Swamp Thing,what I've read so far has been pretty good.I'm going to pick up Saga of Swamp Thing book two on Wednesday.I like Miracleman as well,but I don't want to pay $100 just to read one book :P

Love all his 80's stuff, but 20 years later, V FOR VENDETTA has emerged as my favorite. It's Moore in "angry young man" mode and thus, his most passionate work. Everything else he's known for from that time (WATCHMEN, ST, MIRACLEMAN, KJ) is work-for-hire and, in the end, riffs on other people's creations. V is wholly his own (well, his along with David Lloyd). It's early, it's rough, it's not nearly as polished as his later work like WATCHMEN...but it is his most personal statement. That's why I'm going with V.

I've got to go with Swamp Thing.....it was probably the series that I most eagerly anticipated from month to month...out of all time. It established a market and layed the groundwork for DC's entire Vertigo line. I recently got a really good deal on the collected hardback of the first story arc and had planned to sell it...but I just couldn't. I still love those stories and at the time they were being published I had shared them with several friends who didn't read comics and they LOVED them also. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I've got to go with Swamp Thing.....it was probably the series that I most eagerly anticipated from month to month...out of all time. It established a market and layed the groundwork for DC's entire Vertigo line. I recently got a really good deal on the collected hardback of the first story arc and had planned to sell it...but I just couldn't. I still love those stories and at the time they were being published I had shared them with several friends who didn't read comics and they LOVED them also. GOD BLESS ...

I haven't read all of Alan Moore's Swamp Thing run,but what I've read so has been pretty good.

I haven't read all of Alan Moore's Swamp Thing run,but what I've read so has been pretty good.

Tell Sam to quit hogging the books and let you read them. They won't get hurt.

Alan Moore at a point where he was really feeling out his creative oats.

Tell Sam to quit hogging the books and let you read them. They won't get hurt.

Alan Moore at a point where he was really feeling out his creative oats.

My brother is not hogging any books from me.I do have Saga of Swamp Thing book one and I'm going to pick up book two on Wednesday.

P.S. my brother is selling me some high grade Alan Moore Swamp Thing books :grin:

I'm probably a little biased as I was a Swamp Thing fan already when the series began. I missed the first several and had to pay 20 bucks for # 21....and in the 80's you have to remember that you could still get Ditko ASM's in highgrade for 40 bucks. It took me quite a while to find one...it was hot, hot, hot. GOD BLESS...