• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is consider "High Grade" for Golden Age ?

67 posts in this topic

Here's a general question I would like to ask the opinions of fellow board GA collectors. While it seems for silver age, high-grade starts at 9.4 (and for bronze age collectors it seems to start at the 9.6 level). Considering many of the books in GA are virtually non-existent at those points, my question is where does "High Grade" begin for you as a golden age collector, i.e. what grade would you consider as a "High Grade" book in your collection ?

i'm with jive; if i think vf, i think 'hi-grade.' and a 7.5 is a vf-, and to me hits my personal mark of hi-grade, just like an a- in school was still an a [gator, it's the grade 2 up from c].

AND, because so many need 8.0 or higher to meet their hi-grade threshold, 7.5's can often be had for huge dips in price, not at all commensurate to the slight drop in grade. also, many times i find myself thinking hi-grade on 7.0's, as i feel anything with a '7' in front ain't mid-grade.

i might go start a "post your 7.5 hi-grade books" thread.

There are a lot of mid-grade books (4.5 to 6.0) that have the visual eye appeal of much higher grades, due to defects that CGC really hammers (detached cover, detached centerfold, corner chips, back cover stains, etc).

The adage "buy the book, not the number" really holds true in GA.

I'd agree with most here that I consider VF range to be high grade for comics, but I collect solid 5.0 mid grade books as the eye appeal is comparable. Some books will just never appear in VF.

Since Jeff popped the cherry by posting a pic....

:cloud9:

MarvelMysteryComics3CGC5_0oww.jpg

MarvelMysteryComics-5-CGC-40-DET.jpg

MarvelMysteryComics9CGC5_0.jpg

CaptainAmericaComics3CGC5_0.jpg

i'm with jive; if i think vf, i think 'hi-grade.' and a 7.5 is a vf-, and to me hits my personal mark of hi-grade, just like an a- in school was still an a [gator, it's the grade 2 up from c].

AND, because so many need 8.0 or higher to meet their hi-grade threshold, 7.5's can often be had for huge dips in price, not at all commensurate to the slight drop in grade. also, many times i find myself thinking hi-grade on 7.0's, as i feel anything with a '7' in front ain't mid-grade.

What kind of swamp laden, slack jawed, back woods, talk is Billy yaking about? I don't understand the cajun words coming out or your mouth,??? boy.

:screwy:

What kind of swamp laden, slack jawed, back woods, talk is Billy yaking about? I don't understand the cajun words coming out or your mouth,??? boy.

:screwy:

i'll have you know i'm a good 300 yards from the nearest swamp.

I'd agree with most here that I consider VF range to be high grade for comics, but I collect solid 5.0 mid grade books as the eye appeal is comparable. Some books will just never appear in VF.

Since Jeff popped the cherry by posting a pic....

:cloud9:

if the object is to post some 5.0's that appear hi-grade, i can do that.

punchmilehigh.jpg

recilf.jpg

High Grade should not differ between era to era to me personally and like many others believe it begins at 8.0 and up.

If the highest graded copy of a GA book is a 3.5, it doesn't make it a high grade example. It makes it the highest grade known for that particular issue but would still pale in comparasin to any book that is a strict VF and above.

Jim