• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is consider "High Grade" for Golden Age ?

67 posts in this topic

If the highest graded copy of a GA book is a 3.5, it doesn't make it a high grade example. It makes it the highest grade known for that particular issue but would still pale in comparasin to any book that is a strict VF and above.

Jim

Well said.

High grade for Action 12 is 2.5. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

:gossip: 6.0 is 3rd highest with 7.5 as "the" highest graded so far

action12.jpg

The 2.5 comment was just a joke....but I've never seen one nicer than 2.5. That 6.0 is beautiful and that cover just oozes GA goodness. I hope that one is yours Rick...you definitely deserve it. GOD BLESS...

High Grade should not differ between era to era to me personally and like many others believe it begins at 8.0 and up.

If the highest graded copy of a GA book is a 3.5, it doesn't make it a high grade example. It makes it the highest grade known for that particular issue but would still pale in comparasin to any book that is a strict VF and above.

Jim

(thumbs u I agree completely. Before there was a CGC, VF was always considered high grade. And just because there may not be any 8.0 or better graded copies doesn't turn the low graded copies of that issue into high grade gems.

Buncha high grade snobs in here. :baiting:

The sweet spot for me is around 8.0 to 9.2 in GA, but like I mentioned earlier, there are some really nice books lurking in mid-grade slabs. It's all about visual appeal and page quality -- oh, and price lol . There are some books that structurally grade to a 9.0 or higher that I wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole.

High grade for Action 12 is 2.5. GOD BLESS...

:gossip: 6.0 is 3rd highest with 7.5 as "the" highest graded so far

action12.jpg

The 2.5 comment was just a joke....but I've never seen one nicer than 2.5. That 6.0 is beautiful and that cover just oozes GA goodness. I hope that one is yours Rick...you definitely deserve it. GOD BLESS...

oh, I knew it was a joke, but some folks not as familiar might not, so I figured I would throw out a little tidbit lol

High Grade should not differ between era to era to me personally and like many others believe it begins at 8.0 and up.

Jim

(thumbs u I agree completely. Before there was a CGC, VF was always considered high grade. And just because there may not be any 8.0 or better graded copies doesn't turn the low graded copies of that issue into high grade gems.

But what about Tec 1, 2 and 3? VF is the highest grade listed in the price guide for those books. So, if a VF (third grade from the top listed on most GA books, 8.0 - 9.0 - 9.2) then is high grade for those three books 4.0? (which is the third from the top)

lol

Just kidding Gary. But, in reality, it is easier to apply a "high grade" label to books that have high grade examples by which to compare. Many GA books do not have such examples to draw a comparison.

But for the sake of this discussion, I will agree that 8.0 is the high grade jumping on point.

Thanks (thumbs u

I was just getting tired of seeing those 5.0s cluttering up this "High Grade" discussion.

(Just kidding Roy :grin: )

Thanks (thumbs u

I was just getting tired of seeing those 5.0s cluttering up this "High Grade" discussion.

:(

Thanks (thumbs u

:(

That's what happens when you don't share your JD rantrant

Here's a general question I would like to ask the opinions of fellow board GA collectors. While it seems for silver age, high-grade starts at 9.4 (and for bronze age collectors it seems to start at the 9.6 level). Considering many of the books in GA are virtually non-existent at those points, my question is where does "High Grade" begin for you as a golden age collector, i.e. what grade would you consider as a "High Grade" book in your collection ?

8.0. Below that point most golden age becomes more readily available.

Check out the eye appeal on this one. Ugly staples, but brilliant colors, sharp corners, and bone white pages. :cloud9:

actioncomics50.jpg

I really hope you crack that out and take out the staples before they rot the paper around them. IMHO CGC should not even grade books with rusty staples. It's a recipe for disaster. Nice colors, tho!

Jim

VF was never high grade on Silver Age, or Bronze. And it is foolish to state that high grade is high grade regardless of the era.

Jim

VF was never high grade on Silver Age, or Bronze. And it is foolish to state that high grade is high grade regardless of the era.

Incorrect. VF was always high grade on Silver Age. That has changed over the last few years, but prior to that it was widely held that VF was the opening tier of high grade.

Where do you think the term "VF or better" came from? Silver Age collectors