• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is consider "High Grade" for Golden Age ?

67 posts in this topic

High Grade should not differ between era to era to me personally and like many others believe it begins at 8.0 and up.

If the highest graded copy of a GA book is a 3.5, it doesn't make it a high grade example. It makes it the highest grade known for that particular issue but would still pale in comparasin to any book that is a strict VF and above.

Jim

(thumbs u I agree completely. Before there was a CGC, VF was always considered high grade. And just because there may not be any 8.0 or better graded copies doesn't turn the low graded copies of that issue into high grade gems.

VF was never high grade on Silver Age, or Bronze. And it is foolish to state that high grade is high grade regardless of the era.

Incorrect. VF was always high grade on Silver Age. That has changed over the last few years, but prior to that it was widely held that VF was the opening tier of high grade.

Where do you think the term "VF or better" came from? Silver Age collectors

VF or better was a generic term. It wasn't specific to high grade Silver Age. I can pull out old Buyers Guides from 25 years ago that define high grade Silver Age as Near Mint or better. No one called VF Silver Age high grade.

High Grade should not differ between era to era to me personally and like many others believe it begins at 8.0 and up.

If the highest graded copy of a GA book is a 3.5, it doesn't make it a high grade example. It makes it the highest grade known for that particular issue but would still pale in comparasin to any book that is a strict VF and above.

Jim

(thumbs u I agree completely. Before there was a CGC, VF was always considered high grade. And just because there may not be any 8.0 or better graded copies doesn't turn the low graded copies of that issue into high grade gems.

VF was never high grade on Silver Age, or Bronze. And it is foolish to state that high grade is high grade regardless of the era.

Incorrect. VF was always high grade on Silver Age. That has changed over the last few years, but prior to that it was widely held that VF was the opening tier of high grade.

VF or better was a generic term. It wasn't specific to high grade Silver Age. I can pull out old Buyers Guides from 25 years ago that define high grade Silver Age as Near Mint or better. No one called VF Silver Age high grade.

When Overstreet valued G books at 50% of NM values VF or NM didn't matter much. Wish I had paid more attention to the grade back then. Anything VF or better was high grade to me.

Today high grade is relative to me. If the best know copy is a 5.0 then I consider that a high grade book. If a book is relatively common in high grade like FF59 then my expectations are higher and 9.0 is not high grade.

Well, I've only been collecting since around 1966, seriously on-and-off-again since 1970, but VF or better has always meant high-grade in my book. VF was the beginning of high-grade.

Same is true for me, except the 1966 part. I started really collecting in 1969. VF was always high grade. Still is to me

Jim

Not trying to be argumentative, but you are just wrong on this one. I was setting up at shows 25 years ago, and plenty of people called VF high grade. Dealers and collectors alike. Plenty is more than no one, wouldn't you agree?

I remember buying from catalogs in the late 60's (like Rogofsky's..excuse the spelling if it's wrong)...and there was no grade listed at all...no VF or NM...

I just assumed they would be like new at the time (1967-68 this was)...and I a few I bought were (DD #1 NM) and others (JIM #88 was approx. VF)....

I can remember being a little disappointed on that JIM....I paid $3.00 for it...and was expecting a book that was perfect.... lol

Wish I kept all those catalogs though....

By the way...I started seriously collecting in 1964...so I'm ancient... :P

I can't speak for everyone else, only my witness that VF was never considered to be high grade for Silver Age. The only thing I can think of for the difference of opinion is that it was a regional thing. Here in Connecticut, most of the comics from the Golden Age through the Silver Age were printed (the old Timely/Atlas printing plant was not far from my home), high grade Silver was a pretty common thing. Again, just my witness here.

Jim

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that the same person who believes different eras have different parameters for high grade also is the same person who believes in grading the different eras with a curve...and that is even a more foolish proposition.

Jim

I can't speak for everyone else, only my witness that VF was never considered to be high grade for Silver Age. The only thing I can think of for the difference of opinion is that it was a regional thing. Here in Connecticut, most of the comics from the Golden Age through the Silver Age were printed (the old Timely/Atlas printing plant was not far from my home), high grade Silver was a pretty common thing. Again, just my witness here.

I'd have to disagree with this -- and like you state that this was only my personal experience. Around the time Overstreet started putting forth the concept that there was no such thing as Mint, many collectors I knew developed the perception that vf/nm to nm was ultra-rare and almost never seen. When I'd see something advertised as nm I'd automatically presume it was what I considered a tightly-graded VF at best.

Jim

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that the same person who believes different eras have different parameters for high grade also is the same person who believes in grading the different eras with a curve...and that is even a more foolish proposition.

Jim

Don't twist this. High grade for average Gold might be 8.0, whereas high grade for Bronze might be 9.6. The standard by which the books are graded should be the same. Two totally different things.

I'd have to disagree with this -- and like you state that this was only my personal experience. Around the time Overstreet started putting forth the concept that there was no such thing as Mint, many collectors I knew developed the perception that vf/nm to nm was ultra-rare and almost never seen. When I'd see something advertised as nm I'd automatically presume it was what I considered a tightly-graded VF at best.

You have a good point. However I think folks got played by Overstreet. Overstreet started putting forth the fallacy that there was no such thing as NM as a vehicle to dramatically increase prices across the board for NM books. On Gold, this might be a correct move, but on Silver and especially on Bronze, he was (and is) dead wrong. The highest grade in the guide should have been left at 9.4.

Jim

Jim

Don't twist this. High grade for average Gold might be 8.0, whereas high grade for Bronze might be 9.6. The standard by which the books are graded should be the same. Two totally different things.

Instead of arguing which number high grade starts at, how about this:

Why does high grade start at a given number (8.0 for some, 9.4 for others) for you? Better yet, what actually is high grade? It's more than a number. To me it's the presentation of the book.

A VF book can look basically newsstand fresh and new with only a few small flaws. It will be solid and tight. Because the book looks newsstand fresh, that to me is high grade. I don't care about the number when I am discussing what range is high grade made up of. It's not something quantifiable. All I care about is the structure and feel and I am looking for a high grade example of the book. It's a quality. A high grade book will have high grade quality feel to it.

Jim

Jim

You do have a point...the grade is still the grade. At which point a certain grade becomes difficult to obtain is a question of scarcity, and nothing more. I, too, had been led to believe in the past that high grade books were more plentiful up north....and considering that most of the early back issue warehouses were there (shrug) GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. I think the pre '63 books were still, always tough in STRICT 9.0 or better...strict being the operative concept.

Jim

This is the Golden Age forum.

(thumbs u Prior to CGC a tightly graded VF was a truly beautiful book!

(thumbs u Prior to CGC a tightly graded VF was a truly beautiful book!

It still is. Buy a VF from me, and you will have a truly beautiful book

I guess everything is relative...I don't find most of the GA that I collect "readily available" over 5.0 , and for me, that's the start of high grade. I actually have a few 8.0's and 9.0, but since most of my collection is lower grade, I think highER grade at 5.0 to 6.0. To me, relatively available, also means affordable...without my taking out a mortgage on my house;)

As a collector I'm not real interested in 9.6's in GA unless I'm just viewing Richard's (or Jon's or anyone else's ) lovely pictures. I'd be afraid to keep them in my house, and I like looking at the covers, so bank vaults (although I do keep some there) just don't really do it for me.

Not directed at anyone in particular, but wouldn't high grade books have qualities that are only found on high grade examples of books?

I think people are a little to focused on trying to figure out what number = high grade.

What qualities should be found on a high grade book that would not be found outside of high grade?

I'd say that straight edges, mostly sharp corners, strong gloss, mostly clean staples and no glaring defects larger than, say 1/2-1" is how I would describe a "high grade" book.

With a book like this, anybody who doesn't know anything about comics would be able to look at the comic and say "wow" that looks like new.

So to me high grade has a "wow" factor because of the book's state of preservation.