• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the Best Superman Cover from the SA ?

42 posts in this topic

While most seem to agree that Superman #14 is the greatest golden age cover (and probably the best since the title was published), it got me thinking as to what you all feel is the best Superman cover of the silver age. So my question to you all is what is the best SA Superman cover ?

For simplicity purposes, let's stick to the general Superman title (instead of Action Comics, Lois Lane or the Olsen titles) and start with issue #109 which is recognized as the 1st SA cover in Overstreet and issue #216, the last 12 cents issue, as the bookend.

And by all means, if you have a copy in your collection, please do post it with your selection. :popcorn:

- Hank

It's your thread, but why limit it to the Superman title?

In general, I don't think there are many stunning SA superman covers. I like Supes 146, but it doesn't have Superman on it. I guess if I had to pick one from his title, I might pick 144. If I could expand it to Action, though, I'd say Action 242.

Superman144.jpg

Action242.jpg

It's your thread, but why limit it to the Superman title?

In general, I don't think there are many stunning SA superman covers. I like Supes 146, but it doesn't have Superman on it. I guess if I had to pick one from his title, I might pick 144. If I could expand it to Action, though, I'd say Action 242.

Superman144.jpg

Action242.jpg

Those are the first two that came to mind. DC purple covers are :cloud9:

#199 for me.

(thumbs u on #199

that black cover makes it so hard to find in high grade.

Also, have a strong liking for 161 - that image just reinforces the might of the 'man of steel'. Didn't DC re-issue this cover in some promotional form or something recently ?

Sticking to just the Superman title...

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y262/dndowens/Superman/sm180.jpg

Has a nice bright yellow cover

Mutiple females (5, most I have seen on a Superman SA comic, or for that matter, just about any Superman GA or SA comic), and dressed about as alluring and looking as sexy as can be for a Superman comic cover.

Yet another clever DC cover with a great hook and a question which makes one curious as to what's going on, and want to purchase the issue (pure SA).

A chauvinistic cover which is representative of the era, evidenced by Superman saying "...I've been beaten by a girl."

A truely unique Superman cover due to these elements. Appealing on a number of levels.

To round out my top 11 ( I could not limit it to ten !)

I would rate the rest in this order:

#201 -- A classic, very moving cover. Reminds me of the Spider-man #50 ( http://www.samruby.com/AmazingSpider-ManA/Large/AmazingSpider-Man050.jpg ) cover, which I belive came a little earlier. In fact, the story in this issue has Superman on a couch, in therapy, as Spider-man had been years earlier, it was in issue ( http://www.samruby.com/AmazingSpider-ManA/Large/AmazingSpider-Man024.jpg ) twenty-four. By this time upstart Marvel was starting to influence DC. But in my book, Superman was, and still is THE comic book super-hero.

#199 -- Yet another classic, certainly in the running for one of the top covers of any era.

#164 -- Whoa, Luthor and Superman duking it out !

#146 -- Superman as a baby, his parents, Krypton exploding, a memorable scene.

#144 -- Purple cover, great composition, the three main characters of the Superman family, another exploding planet cover that plays to the emotions. Can't beat it.

#169 --- What a scene. An army of Bizarro's.

#196 --- Superman against Superman. How can he win? Great white cover.

#147 --- I know, an Adventure 247 homage, but does that make it any less appealing?

#113 --- Only Wayne Boring cover on my list. Which is odd, considering I look at him as "the" classic Superman artist, more so then even Swan, whom I also adore on Superman, and after Boring, is my pick for the definitive Superman artist. Another great Kyrpton cover. They speak to me. More then just another routine hook or battle cover; Superman's origins, his shrouded past, his long dead parents, whom he never knew. The few Superman stories from this era that had a emotional edge to them were often the best, and the covers that represented this are unique. And a lime green cover, very rare.

#183 --- First giant that incorporated the Superman numbering system, and first time, maybe ever, for any title, that a character is shown holding the covers of his own back issues and mentioning how much value they have in the back issue market, not to mention making a reference to his own rich past. At that time he was around for about only 27 years. To give that some persepctive, the new X-men have been around for about 35 years ! Or Watchman was published about 24 years ago.

Honorable mention -- #213 -- Had to give at least 1 Neal Adams cover some love.

Issue #199 is great but to be honest the 99% of the rest of them are lame. No wonder Marvel kicked DC's teeth in during the SA.

I hate to break it to you but Superman outsold every Marvel title during the SA.