• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the Best Superman Cover from the SA ?

42 posts in this topic

Issue #199 is great but to be honest the 99% of the rest of them are lame. No wonder Marvel kicked DC's teeth in during the SA.

I hate to break it to you but Superman outsold every Marvel title during the SA.

I think Archie outsold every Marvel during the silver age....

#189 cover always fascinated me - I saw it previewed in another book back at the time but I could not find a copy to buy. Great dramatic Krypton scene and really tough right up to 2004 when loads of multipacks containing this issue suddenly appeared. #189 went from about the scarcest issue in the title (from that year) with only one CGC 9.0 graded to being about the most common in high grade.

This is a multipack copy:

Superman189.jpg

Thanks to both of you for posting these greats. For some reason I'm not nearly as familiar with Superman as I am with the Action covers, and it's been awhile since I've taken a good look at them. Early in my collecting career I focused on Action and completely ignored Superman. To this day I only have a couple of them...one if which is the must-have 144!

Issue #199 is great but to be honest the 99% of the rest of them are lame.

Have to say, I'm a big GA Supes fan but looking at that block of SA covers posted not much there blows me away. The pale, almost pastel-ish color pallet is part of it, and it does illustrate one difference between the editorial philosophy of Marvel and DC (or at least, this run) at the time -- these covers seem to be very focused on telling a story, whereas Marvel SA stuff (and golden age DC stuff, now that I think of it) have more symbolic elements.

#189 cover always fascinated me - I saw it previewed in another book back at the time but I could not find a copy to buy. Great dramatic Krypton scene and really tough right up to 2004 when loads of multipacks containing this issue suddenly appeared. #189 went from about the scarcest issue in the title (from that year) with only one CGC 9.0 graded to being about the most common in high grade.

This is a multipack copy:

Superman189.jpg

Ian, I'm with you on this cover. I kept flip flopping between this cover and the Superman 183 as to which I should put on my list. So on second thought, I like this one better. This Superman #189 cover would almost definitely display nicer then the #183 cover as a poster or OA piece, framed and hung on a wall. Ask me tmrw., I'll probably say the 183 issue again. Darn, too many great choices.

Issue #199 is great but to be honest the 99% of the rest of them are lame. No wonder Marvel kicked DC's teeth in during the SA.

I hate to break it to you but Superman outsold every Marvel title during the SA.

Yeah I know but Marvel didn't own their own distribution until 1968 if I'm not mistaken. Sales are one thing but quality and cutting edge body of work during the SA is really no contest. Anyways back to the thread. (thumbs u

A chance to shamelessly show off my copy, though I don't think #199 is the best SA Superman cover:

Superman199.jpg

I can't tell you how much that book is at the top of my want list !!....In that grade !! :cloud9:

I remember when Heritage sold the original cover art back in 2003....32K.....It would be much more now !